You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Post All Your YouTube Shit Here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #741
tsa
Playing character

But... what did you do then?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #742
Stalker of Britain

Well, I basically edited, made it a bit slower and smoother, put in the music, cut the clips together, put in the text, etc. I know it's not much, but it's just a beginning multimedia class.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #743
tsa
Playing character

It seems complicated and tiring enough to me already
Old 10-23-2011, 04:37 AM   #744
tsa
Playing character

An extremely cute bike-riding robot.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #745
Life and times of...

Improv Everywhere's version of going to Starbucks with your laptop

I just love Improv Everywhere. Wish we had that here too... And this is just as brilliant as the rest of them Three people (including Aubrey Plaza, BTW, if you know who that is) went to Starbucks, only they didn't really use a laptop PC...
Old 11-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #746

Recently discovered and can't get enough of the Angry Video Game Nerd
http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesNintendoNerd
and the Nostalgia Critic
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...stalgia-critic

As a child of the 80's and 90's I find them highly entertaining and informative and recommend them to EVERYONE
Old 12-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #747
tsa
Playing character

Volkswagen tests its cars pretty thoroughly.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #748
tsa
Playing character

People 'mourn' for Kim Jong Il. North Korea is the weirdest and one of the scariest countries on the planet by far.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #749

Dog loves guitar - magnificient
Old 02-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #750
Life and times of...

If you like Twin Peaks, here's a fantastic Twin Peaks in Lego - Twin Bricks ("Yeah...")

Also, there are some great (and many awful) "David Lynch Trailers" of completely irrelevant movies and programs, such as: Glee

Also, completely irrelevant, but unbelievably awesome - Karate Rap (from 1986)
Seriously, it's incredible, and it gets a lot better as it goes on. You have to check it out (and watch it all the way, at least after 2:00 it gets on a whole new level)
Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #751
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
If you like Twin Peaks, here's a fantastic Twin Peaks in Lego - Twin Bricks ("Yeah...")
Brilliant!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #752
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandesch View Post
Recently discovered and can't get enough of the Angry Video Game Nerd
http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesNintendoNerd
and the Nostalgia Critic
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...stalgia-critic

As a child of the 80's and 90's I find them highly entertaining and informative and recommend them to EVERYONE
Represent!
I found them about 2 years ago, and proceeded to "waste" 3 days doing nothing but watching all the episodes from both of them!

"He's gonna take yo back to the past, to play the shitty games that sucked ass..." Pure genius!!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #753
Life and times of...

Well, since I'm currently killing a certain Thread, I decided to post this here. The BBC news seem a bit odd to me... (Cassetteboy vs. The News)
For some reason I especially enjoyed the correspondent analysis on David Cameron

(Edit): Also, good education about the major British parties - Cassetteboy vs. Party Leaders

Last edited by UPtimist; 02-29-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #754
It's Hard To Be Humble

Default Thesis - Out Of Time

I made this thing.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #755
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Dude, you know I love you to death, you're like my long lost brother, but this is pretty rough man....

As I posted in the "What are you playing" thread, I'm completely head over heels about this guy, seeing here playing a fretless guitar!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjEGt...eature=related
Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #756
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvio View Post
Dude, you know I love you to death, you're like my long lost brother, but this is pretty rough man....
Marvio, m'man, I know it's rough. The thing is, I've passed the 40 year mark, and for me, that was the big Niagara Falls or Bust milestone. I'm beyond fear of failure, now. I just want to get it out the door now, warts and all. If people like it, good. If not, well, maybe they'll like the next one. I'll perfect the tracks to the best of my ability before I release the album in the summer, but I'm not going to sit on them the way I used to, never sharing anything with anyone. I find the sharing rough mixes part makes me work on them harder and longer to get them done. And besides, I kind of like it, even though the mix is still a bit too muddy and you can still hear the bum notes and dropped phrases. It'll get there in the end.

And Guthrie Govan is a god amongst men. He's playing with Marco Minneman these days, which is pretty cool in itself. If only I had access to musicians of that calibre...

Last edited by Lee in Limbo; 03-05-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #757
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Marvio, m'man, I know it's rough. The thing is, I've passed the 40 year mark, and for me, that was the big Niagara Falls or Bust milestone. I'm beyond fear of failure, now. I just want to get it out the door now, warts and all. If people like it, good. If not, well, maybe they'll like the next one. I'll perfect the tracks to the best of my ability before I release the album in the summer, but I'm not going to sit on them the way I used to, never sharing anything with anyone. I find the sharing rough mixes part makes me work on them harder and longer to get them done. And besides, I kind of like it, even though the mix is still a bit too muddy and you can still hear the bum notes and dropped phrases. It'll get there in the end.

And Guthrie Govan is a god amongst men. He's playing with Marco Minneman these days, which is pretty cool in itself. If only I had access to musicians of that calibre...
Is all good dude! No worries, I get what you're saying
I hope you didn't take it as a dig on you, but I really go by the golden rule:"Do onto others as you do it to yourself" (although I'm not religious at all) and I'm not only my own worst critic, but I really wish people would tell me straight up what they think of something I present.
Maybe it's my art school background, you have to develop a thick skin, nahh, not even that, you just learn to take (constructive) criticism for what it is, people trying to make whatever it is you're presenting, better.

And here's the offer....

I'm not Mr. Govan, not by a light year, but if you'd like I could record the guitar parts for you, I need some kind of project anyhow!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #758
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Is all good dude! No worries, I get what you're saying
I hope you didn't take it as a dig on you, but I really go by the golden rule:"Do onto others as you do it to yourself" (although I'm not religious at all) and I'm not only my own worst critic, but I really wish people would tell me straight up what they think of something I present.
Maybe it's my art school background, you have to develop a thick skin, nahh, not even that, you just learn to take (constructive) criticism for what it is, people trying to make whatever it is you're presenting, better.

And here's the offer....

I'm not Mr. Govan, not by a light year, but if you'd like I could record the guitar parts for you, I need some kind of project anyhow!
Oh, I totally know what you mean. I have art school background and years of being my worst critic behind me as well. Thick skin? I can be a bit too touchy at times, I know, but I mostly take constructive criticism as intended. I accept that I don't have the polished playing my tracks could use.

I play the parts myself simply because I don't have the time or patience to wait for my bandmates, Gary and Derrick, to learn their parts. I need to have this album demoed and into rehearsal by the summer, so I'm just going at breakneck speed, and leaving them in the dust, I'm cranking out songs a week at a time, in some case, which is fast when I'm playing all of the (non programmed) parts and recording it myself. I certainly don't like lording it over them and making them miserable learning my parts and playing idiosyncrasies when I'd much rather just let them find their own parts in the mix. I just can't seem to make myself wait any longer. I've been sitting on some of these songs for over a decade.

My problems are twofold; Derrick is out of practice on drums, and needs a steady hand on bass to keep him locked in the groove (tricky playing is NOT his forte, sadly; some of the stuff I've programmed is more of a suggestion to him than an order, because I know he doesn't have the chops for it); and Gary is an avowed rhythm guitarist who isn't comfortable in the lead role, and doesn't like soloing unless I'm holding down lots of stuff and leaving him free to make scary noises (I love his ersatz Andy Summers playing, but he doesn't do it enough). He's neither the most confident player, nor is he the most adventurous, these days.

It's a bit frustrating, but they're my best friends, and I try to make a place for them in what I do. I kind of feel obligated to include them, since I learned most of what I know about music from working with them; I wouldn't say I've outgrown them precisely, but I do smother them sometimes. I just keep hoping they'll catch up.

So, in the end, when I write parts they can't play (yet?), I shoulder the blame so as not to make them feel too bad. I also generally never get them to perform the songs I've written without their help, unless they go away and quietly learn certain of the songs when I'm not looking. It's far from an ideal situation, but I guess I've just reached the point where I realize, I'm not a strong enough player to join somebody else's band (yet), I'm not a strong enough singer (these days) to front a band of technically superior players playing my unfinished songs (yet), and I'm not getting any younger. So I just dive in and muck up the parts on my own. Multi-instrumentalist FTW?

My hope is to get the demos solid enough that my bandmates and/or some new recruits will be able to learn the parts and take the songs out to gig and rerecord 'professionally'.

As for your offer, I'd love to take you up on it. I have to confess, I'm not used to working with technically superior guitarists, given that I've only ever played with real musicians a handful of times in my life, and I've never written for them. I trust that you're enough of a 'feel' player that you can fill a space without having your hand held. I'd hate to have to sit down and write tabulature for the kind of half-assed playing I do.

My only concern is that I might end up putting Gary out of a job, and I'm practically married to the guy (don't tell my wife ). So whatever parts I record for him to learn have to be cool but fairly elementary. If I write a great guitar part for him that has lots of widdly-widdly in it, he'll baulk and I'll have one more song in my collection that won't ever get played... unless and until I get him in the room with a lead guitarist he likes enough to work with. I've been working on that, but the one guy I was thinking about broke his hand, so he's busy healing at present. Another reason I ended up playing the part myself.

I mean, it's not like Gary loves my guitar part on that song. He already told me he doesn't like the sound I picked. Personally, I haven't married myself to it, but I think it suits the track. I was just working fast and going by ear, using a stock sound built into my multi-track, but it did the job. I figured he'd wind up picking his own sound, but I did want to get some distortion in there, just to prove it works. Gary doesn't play with a lot of distortion, so he's not used to hearing it in my songs. I expect him to be confused. I know Derrick was.

I've just been thinking that too many of my songs in the last few years have been these squeaky clean pop songs, and that's not really the way I roll. I mean, you know I love all these stellar guitarists we have in common, so you can imagine how weird it is for me to listen to my music and realize that I'm not getting as much rock and roll in there as I'd like.

Okay, I've written a novel here. I'm gonna PM you my email address, and we can pick up from there, if you like.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #759
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Oh, I totally know what you mean. I have art school background and years of being my worst critic behind me as well. Thick skin? I can be a bit too touchy at times, I know, but I mostly take constructive criticism as intended. I accept that I don't have the polished playing my tracks could use.

I play the parts myself simply because I don't have the time or patience to wait for my bandmates, Gary and Derrick, to learn their parts. I need to have this album demoed and into rehearsal by the summer, so I'm just going at breakneck speed, and leaving them in the dust, I'm cranking out songs a week at a time, in some case, which is fast when I'm playing all of the (non programmed) parts and recording it myself. I certainly don't like lording it over them and making them miserable learning my parts and playing idiosyncrasies when I'd much rather just let them find their own parts in the mix. I just can't seem to make myself wait any longer. I've been sitting on some of these songs for over a decade.

My problems are twofold; Derrick is out of practice on drums, and needs a steady hand on bass to keep him locked in the groove (tricky playing is NOT his forte, sadly; some of the stuff I've programmed is more of a suggestion to him than an order, because I know he doesn't have the chops for it); and Gary is an avowed rhythm guitarist who isn't comfortable in the lead role, and doesn't like soloing unless I'm holding down lots of stuff and leaving him free to make scary noises (I love his ersatz Andy Summers playing, but he doesn't do it enough). He's neither the most confident player, nor is he the most adventurous, these days.

It's a bit frustrating, but they're my best friends, and I try to make a place for them in what I do. I kind of feel obligated to include them, since I learned most of what I know about music from working with them; I wouldn't say I've outgrown them precisely, but I do smother them sometimes. I just keep hoping they'll catch up.

So, in the end, when I write parts they can't play (yet?), I shoulder the blame so as not to make them feel too bad. I also generally never get them to perform the songs I've written without their help, unless they go away and quietly learn certain of the songs when I'm not looking. It's far from an ideal situation, but I guess I've just reached the point where I realize, I'm not a strong enough player to join somebody else's band (yet), I'm not a strong enough singer (these days) to front a band of technically superior players playing my unfinished songs (yet), and I'm not getting any younger. So I just dive in and muck up the parts on my own. Multi-instrumentalist FTW?

My hope is to get the demos solid enough that my bandmates and/or some new recruits will be able to learn the parts and take the songs out to gig and rerecord 'professionally'.

As for your offer, I'd love to take you up on it. I have to confess, I'm not used to working with technically superior guitarists, given that I've only ever played with real musicians a handful of times in my life, and I've never written for them. I trust that you're enough of a 'feel' player that you can fill a space without having your hand held. I'd hate to have to sit down and write tabulature for the kind of half-assed playing I do.

My only concern is that I might end up putting Gary out of a job, and I'm practically married to the guy (don't tell my wife ). So whatever parts I record for him to learn have to be cool but fairly elementary. If I write a great guitar part for him that has lots of widdly-widdly in it, he'll baulk and I'll have one more song in my collection that won't ever get played... unless and until I get him in the room with a lead guitarist he likes enough to work with. I've been working on that, but the one guy I was thinking about broke his hand, so he's busy healing at present. Another reason I ended up playing the part myself.

I mean, it's not like Gary loves my guitar part on that song. He already told me he doesn't like the sound I picked. Personally, I haven't married myself to it, but I think it suits the track. I was just working fast and going by ear, using a stock sound built into my multi-track, but it did the job. I figured he'd wind up picking his own sound, but I did want to get some distortion in there, just to prove it works. Gary doesn't play with a lot of distortion, so he's not used to hearing it in my songs. I expect him to be confused. I know Derrick was.

I've just been thinking that too many of my songs in the last few years have been these squeaky clean pop songs, and that's not really the way I roll. I mean, you know I love all these stellar guitarists we have in common, so you can imagine how weird it is for me to listen to my music and realize that I'm not getting as much rock and roll in there as I'd like.

Okay, I've written a novel here. I'm gonna PM you my email address, and we can pick up from there, if you like.
You give me way too much credit!
Dude, I'm a hack
I'd point out that recording an album and performing live are two completely different animals, of course there is a point where they have to meet, but still, even the greats don't play note for note what they record, much less all the multi layered stuff.
I dunno, just want something to do I guess, my band is on hiatus, for a long time now, and I'm just itching to get something going.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #760
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
You give me way too much credit!
Dude, I'm a hack
I'd point out that recording an album and performing live are two completely different animals, of course there is a point where they have to meet, but still, even the greats don't play note for note what they record, much less all the multi layered stuff.
I dunno, just want something to do I guess, my band is on hiatus, for a long time now, and I'm just itching to get something going.
HACK: Let me be the judge of that.

LIVE: And I love live variations of songs and pieces. Prog rockers largely stick to the parts as written/recorded, but I listen to a lot of stuff where things get switched up on stage as well, so no surprises there. I love improv now and then. That's pretty much how I play all of my solos. Not a lot of rehearsal, and each take is different. One day I'll stitch together a Gilmour Frankensolo from multiple takes, like on Comfortably Numb, just to see if I can do it.

HIATUS: I totally know what you mean. That's part of the reason I've been recording all of this music on my own. The band (Etcetera) has been in mothballs since 2006. So I've been recording 'solo'/Thesis tunes for the last few years on my own, or with Gary's help when he's available.

I PM'd you. Drop me a line and we'll discuss it further.