You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Words You can No Longer Use

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 03:40 AM   #41
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Hm.

"Right". In any use other than as a direction. But that's a psychological thing that bugs me, really. Because people are so obsessed with their "rights", they stop regarding them as priviledges (yes, I do mean down to the point of human rights, people, stop staring at me I know I'm anti-social), and then all they'd ever argue with is "It's my right!". Spontaneously, everything else ceases to matter. If this "right" is infringing on other people's "right"s somehow, you have a bitchfest that gets extraordinarily out of hand.

The effects of that are visible on small and large scales. Large scale: Iran. "It's our right!" Yeah, whatever. Small scale: Forum bitchfights about whether or not a clan called "Echani of the Malkavian" should be renamed after the 'creator' of the name leaves the clan. Er, yeah. WHATEVER.

But all in all, minor gripe.

"Nazi" when used seriously. ("Grammarnazi" is, in contrast, one of my favorites) Especially when it's used seriously by another German. In any context. But usually, in context of Germany. Since some people think that the generation of today does not know about the atrocities of the past, somehow - when it's rather impossible to miss - and that we ought to feel guilty somehow - which is incredibly stupid. I'm not about to feel guilty for the past of my country, just as much as I won't be proud for being German. It's not an achievement (or the reverse) to be born somewhere.

"Honey", "sweety", "darling", "dear" (et cetera) when used patronisingly. People who call me that don't live very long, unless it's clear they're flirting.

I think that's it!

Quick edit: I detest people misspelling words out of laziness. But I wouldn't call that being "words". "u" is not a different word to "you" - it's just grossly misspelt. Nonetheless, since it was listed earlier: I hate that, too. With a passion. Any slaughter of spelling or grammar - be it intentional (though intentional misspelling can be tolerated if it happens sparsely - I do it myself sometimes, mostly in situations where I attempt to be funny) or out of the laziness of not checking what you wrote.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢

Last edited by pinkgothic; 06-01-2006 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:52 AM   #42
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Anyone who uses "Oh my God!" as a statement of surprise. Aside from being blasphemous, it's more than a little unimaginative to state the same thing approximately every five seconds as if one somehow has to prove that one is actually surprised .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:57 AM   #43
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Anyone who uses "Oh my God!" as a statement of surprise.
I try to use "Oh my Noko!", but if I'm really surprised... it... slips my mind. Don't hate me!
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 06-01-2006, 04:35 AM   #44
Chris Barraclough

That's why I just say "**** me!" instead when I'm surprised.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 06-01-2006, 05:00 AM   #45
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
I try to use "Oh my Noko!", but if I'm really surprised... it... slips my mind. Don't hate me!
It's more the extreme repetition of the phrase that normally occurs.

Example: Someone that the person knows enters the room...

Oh my God! Oh my God oh my God oh my God! How are you? Oh my God... God... Oh my God... It's you! Oh my God! Oh my God... God... wow... God...

Old 06-01-2006, 05:04 AM   #46
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
It's more the extreme repetition of the phrase that normally occurs.
Oh. Right. I'm safe then.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 06-01-2006, 05:37 AM   #47
Club a seal or two

"I could care less"

*shudder*
Old 06-01-2006, 06:00 AM   #48
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
That's why I just say "**** me!" instead when I'm surprised.
Which then often leads to an even bigger surprise.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-01-2006, 06:28 AM   #49
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Which then often leads to an even bigger surprise.
That's why I always sit down when I'm surprised

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 06-01-2006, 06:31 AM   #50
is not wierd

--vamp
--buxom
--baddie
--excessive use of pr0-speak (e.g. lamezorz, n00b, pr0n, 1337, h4Xx0r)
Old 06-01-2006, 06:59 AM   #51
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I think you all would enjoy (though "agree" is probably a more adequate term) with The annual Banished Word list.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-01-2006, 08:08 AM   #52

Tausendprozentig (1000% [enter trait here]) - It's something my sister's boyfriend always says. It's been making me cringe for several years now. We keep on telling him that there is *no such thing* as 1000%, but he won't stop. Maybe we should just tell him to stop, but I think we might have already tried that (also, I don't think he would A) remember, B) see reason and C) agree that it's not 'hip', 'cool' or anything like that at all, but simply annoying and makes him seem extremely stupid and ignorant.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Hm.

"Right". In any use other than as a direction. But that's a psychological thing that bugs me, really. Because people are so obsessed with their "rights", they stop regarding them as priviledges (yes, I do mean down to the point of human rights, people, stop staring at me I know I'm anti-social), and then all they'd ever argue with is "It's my right!". Spontaneously, everything else ceases to matter. If this "right" is infringing on other people's "right"s somehow, you have a bitchfest that gets extraordinarily out of hand.

The effects of that are visible on small and large scales. Large scale: Iran. "It's our right!" Yeah, whatever. Small scale: Forum bitchfights about whether or not a clan called "Echani of the Malkavian" should be renamed after the 'creator' of the name leaves the clan. Er, yeah. WHATEVER.

But all in all, minor gripe.

"Nazi" when used seriously. ("Grammarnazi" is, in contrast, one of my favorites) Especially when it's used seriously by another German. In any context. But usually, in context of Germany. Since some people think that the generation of today does not know about the atrocities of the past, somehow - when it's rather impossible to miss - and that we ought to feel guilty somehow - which is incredibly stupid. I'm not about to feel guilty for the past of my country, just as much as I won't be proud for being German. It's not an achievement (or the reverse) to be born somewhere.

"Honey", "sweety", "darling", "dear" (et cetera) when used patronisingly. People who call me that don't live very long, unless it's clear they're flirting.

I think that's it!

Quick edit: I detest people misspelling words out of laziness. But I wouldn't call that being "words". "u" is not a different word to "you" - it's just grossly misspelt. Nonetheless, since it was listed earlier: I hate that, too. With a passion. Any slaughter of spelling or grammar - be it intentional (though intentional misspelling can be tolerated if it happens sparsely - I do it myself sometimes, mostly in situations where I attempt to be funny) or out of the laziness of not checking what you wrote.

I fully agree with everything you said, Pinksie. Although sometimes the patronising thing is alright in some cases (though I, too, prefer that people don't do it).

Quote:
Anyone who uses "Oh my God!" as a statement of surprise. Aside from being blasphemous, it's more than a little unimaginative to state the same thing approximately every five seconds as if one somehow has to prove that one is actually surprised .
When surprised, I have adopted the habit of slamming my fist into the table (even if there is not actually a table), and shouting "By Crom!".

I am afraid I am prone to replying only "Oh my god" or saying it over and over again, when very alienated by something (if something is terrifying/awful/redundant*/slam-your-head-against-the-wall stupid), however. It's mostly because I can't think of anything else to say. I don't actually say "Oh my god", but rather "Oh god..." or just "God", and I usually pronounce it "OH gooood..." or "Gooood...".

-

*come to think of it, me repeating it over and over again makes me redundant too. So do I repeat it because I am redundant? I don't know. But I guess it's Turtles all the way down.

Last edited by Jazhara7; 06-01-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:10 AM   #53
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
But I guess it's Turtles all the way down.

???

Old 06-01-2006, 08:17 AM   #54
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

It's a story Stephen Hawking told, if I remember correctly. An old lady believed the world rested on the back of a giant turtle. So he asked, "What is the turtle resting on?". And she said, "You can't fool me, young man. It's turtles all the way down.". Or something like that.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:20 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
It's a story Stephen Hawking told, if I remember correctly. An old lady believed the world rested on the back of a giant turtle. So he asked, "What is the turtle resting on?". And she said, "You can't fool me, young man. It's turtles all the way down.". Or something like that.

That's the one, though I first encountered it in Terry Pratchett's discworld, where the same question got asked at one point.

-

Old 06-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #56
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I dislike the word irregardless, in place of regardless.

This morning in change-of-shift report, one of the other nurses was quoting a doctor's order using the word subsequently, but pronounced it sub-SEE-quent-ly - at first I had no idea what she was saying, then I said it aloud. I don't usually correct people, but that was so badly pronounced that the meaning became garbled. In a post here recently, someone wrote the word liaison as lieiaison. If you can't spell a word or pronounce it, then find some other way of saying what you mean. We write or speak to communicate, and when this is so badly done that no one knows what you're saying, you aren't communicating.

Some of the nurses I work with can't even pronounce the most common of drugs. There's one called Prevacid - pronounced PREV-uh-sid, but I've heard it called pree-VA-kid. You wouldn't believe how they can massacre Ibuprofen, the ingredient in Advil and other over-the-counter meds. Things like ibe-UP-roffen, instead of I-bu-PRO-fen, aren't uncommon. These kinds of things make me crazy - it reflects badly on all of the nurses, and makes us look like idiots.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #57
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Arrrgh, "irregardless". Surely it isn't even a word?

Also, "momentarily" misused to mean "in a moment". As in "More info will be up on the Telltale site momentarily". Oh yeah? And then what will happen to it?

:@
Old 06-01-2006, 09:31 AM   #58
Lovable rogue

I hypothesize that certain less literate people confuse irrespective with regardless to come up with the abomination that is "irregardless."

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #59
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
In a post here recently, someone wrote the word liaison as lieiaison.
If I recall correctly, I believe the person did that purposely, as the previous posts were about lies, so the person attempted a play on words. Lieaison

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
This morning in change-of-shift report, one of the other nurses was quoting a doctor's order using the word subsequently, but pronounced it sub-SEE-quent-ly - at first I had no idea what she was saying, then I said it aloud.

Is that not how it is supposed to be pronounced...then I was pronouncing it incorrectly all the time...

As for the medication being pronounced incorrectly: I have to admit, for a second there I pronounced Prevacid "PRE-va-chit" but then I remembered that that pronounciation of "-cid" is in a different language. I'm usually very good at pronouncing difficult and very long words correctly on the first try. It's a blessing, I gues. Medicines are sometimes hard to pronounce for others, though. However, there's no excuse for mispronouncing "Ibuprofen" incorrectly, since you read as you write it (Even though I have an unfair advantage. Because my mother is a doctor, I've heard that word a lot, but it really is easy enough to say it right without having first heard it.).

-