You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Sorry it had to end this way... Goodbye! :(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva
Default Sorry it had to end this way... Goodbye! :(

Today I finally realized that my quest for the ultimate PC gaming machine was futile. I went to a shop near by and I got myself a Xbox 360. Currently no games for it though.

So, farewell my PC, you've been replaced by your younger and sexier friend, the Xbox 360.

W00t!!!1! 11!1exclamation ! !1!!one! 1! 1eleven!1

I'll probably still get a few PC titles every now and again, but my new love is for the 360.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 05-29-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
Bad command or file name

TRAITOR!!! *shakes fist heartily at Dasilva*

Bah, I'm just joking. Congrats on your purchase. Even as a hardcore PC enthusiast, I can't argue with your reasoning. I can build a gaming PC for the $400 that a 360 costs but the games sure as hell won't look as good. And two years from now, that $400 PC will be a doorstop while the 360 will still be in it's prime. I hope it servers you well.

*hugs his $3000 gaming rig and cries for his fallen comrade*

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
is not wierd

I thought this was going to be a long letter to us about your leaving the AG community.

But good that it isn't! Congrats on your new 360. I just need to get one now...
Old 05-29-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

You'll be back with the PC-lovers before you know it...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
OUATIJ Creator

It does cost a lot more to be a PC gamer, but hey...it's worth it.

"It's hard to believe that a year ago we were wondering how the PC would keep up with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. But thanks to Crysis, the PC looks to outdo its console rivals before one of them even gets out of the gate. There was simply no game on the show floor that graphically came close to Crysis. It's so good that Microsoft showcased it as a Windows exclusive during its E3 press conference, and the Crysis demo stations at the show had no shortage of admirers and gawkers." - GameSpot

Crytek and Microsoft have both stated that Crysis can't be done on the XBox 360, and the system is basically brand new!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSpot, courtesy of Once A Villain
"It's hard to believe that a year ago we were wondering how the PC would keep up with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3."
In that case they really never thought to engage their brains. As with all consoles, the PC's upgradability will inevitably make it potentially more powerful, and if they have trouble realising that...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #7
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I'm rich enough to keep up with the PC goodness, every new game needs a new upgrade. And I don't think games can look any better than what the XBOX 360 can do.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 05-29-2006, 09:02 AM   #8
Bad command or file name

There is no question that the PC can push out way more graphical goodness than any console out now or in the foreseeable future... but it is a question of cost. Today's $400 pc today is barely adequate. Today's $400 pc in 2 years is worthless. Today's $400 console is damn impressive. Today's $400 console in 2 years is still pretty impressive. You would have to spend about $1200 to build a gaming PC today with the graphical ability of a 360. Also, there is something to be said for the simplicity of being able to just pop in a game disc and start playing. The PC can look much better than a console and has nearly infinite more functionality but as far as gaming bang for the buck goes, it's hard to beat a 360. All that being said, I personally wouldn’t give u my PC if you put a gun to my head but I can understand why someone else would.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Today I finally realized that my quest for the ultimate PC gaming machine was futile. I went to a shop near by and I got myself a Xbox 360. Currently no games for it though.

So, farewell my PC, you've been replaced by your younger and sexier friend, the Xbox 360.

W00t!!!1! 11!1exclamation ! !1!!one! 1! 1eleven!1

I'll probably still get a few PC titles every now and again, but my new love is for the 360.
What's your gamer profile name? Mine's 'temperton'. Put me on your list!!

If no games interest you at least sample the demos. They're free. Sign up for that free one month access to the Gold tier of the Live account (you'll automatically revert back to Silver when the trial period expires, unless you pay to get back into Gold). You may also send me stupid voice messages, just use your headset that came with the package.

Oh, and do you have an HDTV? Can't enjoy all that sweet graphical goodness otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
All that being said, I personally wouldn’t give u my PC if you put a gun to my head but I can understand why someone else would.
Yeah, of course you can understand: how can you enjoy your precious PC if you're dead and your brains and blood are splattered all over it from being shot in the head? Huh? Huh? LOL!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 05-29-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Homer of Kittens

Talking about kissing the PC goodbye, yesterday saw my local EBGames in the mall kissing PC gaming goodbye. I was watching the progression for the last year or so. First they had a full stand visible to anyone who comes in, and it was as big as the PS2 or XBOX stands.

Few months back, the PC stand shrunk to half the size of the PS2 stand and was moved around.

Finally yesterday, there was no more PC stand, and it was replaced by a pre-order section for upcoming games.

No matter how much I love PC gaming, it's just not going anywhere from here. Microsoft keeps bullshitting us about them giving love to PC gaming, but you don't see them pushing for shelf space. Vista is not going to cut it I think.

Firefox rules
Old 05-29-2006, 10:30 AM   #11
Aj_
Beyond Belief

If you own a PC capable of playing games, chances are you have the internet, and if you're not ordering your games online then you're paying a premium for the crappy service you get in shops. I haven't bought a new game in a store for about three years, and I thought I was a late comer to e-commerce.

The top PCs can produce better graphics than the 360 can even now, and that's only going to continue with advances in software and hardware that the 360 wont see. Apart from Oblivion and Rainbow Six, I honestly can't see me playing a FPS or RPG on a console, they're so so crap compared to what's on offer on the PC. Most games are severly dumbed down on consoles, it's just not fun.

I have a Xbox, and undoubtably will get a 360 at some point, but it's only for the convenience.

Some PC games just don't scale, Oblivion I thought was really good as a recent example. If all games scaled as well as Half-Life 2 then PC gaming wouldn't be so expensive. In a few years I'll have a better PC, and all the games I play now will look even better.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:51 AM   #12
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
The top PCs can produce better graphics than the 360 can even now...
I agree, yes, but in all honesty I don't give a shit. I just love the convenience of not having to worry about whether my PC is up to date hardware-wise.

As for technologically demanding, PC exclusive games, and games made only for the other consoles, well, I choose not to give a shit, either. That's because I accept the fact that I don't own those hardware and cannot play those games, so I simply focus on what's available and up and coming for my Xbox360, and pick and choose there. I don't think it's better than having the most bleeding edge PC, any more than if I already have a bleeding edge PC and am tempted to declare that that is better than any next gen console.

It is what it is, at least for me. I know what I'm missing.

Quote:
I have a Xbox, and undoubtably will get a 360 at some point, but it's only for the convenience.
Exactly. But for me personally it has turned into a lifestyle. I just come home from work, pop in a game, and vanish for a couple hours or so. It's a non-geek geekiness.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #13
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Trep, you ought to pick up a cheap PS2 - you know you have to finish ICO, and that you really want to play Shadow of the Colossus, as well.

Lynsie
Old 05-29-2006, 11:21 AM   #14
SamNMax

A decision you won't soon regret.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:24 AM   #15
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Trep, you ought to pick up a cheap PS2 - you know you have to finish ICO, and that you really want to play Shadow of the Colossus, as well.
My copy of ICO is packed away in Oregon. I could eventually get a PS3 and just take advantage of the retro-compatability feature. Or I could wait til the PS2 comes down to $99 (which is the price I paid for the original PSX).
Old 05-29-2006, 11:29 AM   #16
SamNMax

I really gotta finish that too.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #17
merely human

But that's not to say I'd be stupid and buy a PS3 at that dumb-ass $500-600 pricetag, LOL!! It would have to be when Sony lowers the price to $300 or less. Hmmph!
Old 05-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #18
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
But that's not to say I'd be stupid and buy a PS3 at that dumb-ass $500-600 pricetag, LOL!!
I would.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #19
merely human

You would, because you don't have to worry about paying rent, mortgage, car payments, insurance, and other bills.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #20
SamNMax

Oh yeah.