Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Okay, This Is Bizarre. (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/15122-okay-bizarre.html)

Sage 05-25-2006 08:54 PM

Okay, This Is Bizarre.

Try to fool it:
Crystal Ball

Explanations welcome.

AFGNCAAP 05-25-2006 09:08 PM

Spoiler:
((10*a+b) - (a+b)) = 9*a, therefore, any number decreased by a sum of its digits gives something divisible by 9 in result. And although the symbols shuffle every time, all multiplicities of 9 have the same symbol attributed each time. :)

Melanie68 05-25-2006 09:41 PM

The sight doesn't come up for me. :frown:

artwking4 05-25-2006 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Try to fool it:
Crystal Ball

Explanations welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Spoiler:
((10*a+b) - (a+b)) = 9*a, therefore, any number decreased by a sum of its digits gives something divisible by 9 in result. And although the symbols shuffle every time, all multiplicities of 9 have the same symbol attributed each time. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
The sight doesn't come up for me. :frown:

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened."

-from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Way to go, AFGNCAAP. You shattered the crystal ball.:P What now, O Destroyer of Worlds?

Sage 05-25-2006 10:27 PM

Brilliant reasoning, AFGNCAAP!

AFGNCAAP 05-26-2006 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artwking4
Way to go, AFGNCAAP. You shattered the crystal ball.:P What now, O Destroyer of Worlds?

I am sorry. (The site doesnt' work for me anymore, either. :crazy: )

MoriartyL 05-26-2006 12:30 AM

Apparently you've shattered it for good! :D

UPtimist 05-26-2006 01:49 AM

Try to fool it now!

Spiwak 05-26-2006 05:50 AM

That's disappointing.

Fairygdmther 05-26-2006 05:55 AM

It's a trick that bookkeepers use to find a transcription error - if you've reversed two numbers in one column and it doesn't match another column that it should, the difference between them will be divisible by 9 if you've reversed two numbers - ie 45 and 54, 61 and 16.

Lynsie

Spiwak 05-26-2006 06:00 AM

You must be pretty good if you were able to get that when the page is down!

Fairygdmther 05-26-2006 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiwak
You must be pretty good if you were able to get that when the page is down!

Bah! Piece of cake! (even if you weren't referring to me)

UPtimist 05-26-2006 01:33 PM

It worked, fooled it on the third time without even thinking about fooling it. Yes, I'm sure I'm the first one ever to do that.

It was spooky on the first few times though :P

AFGNCAAP 05-27-2006 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Spoiler:
And although the symbols shuffle every time, all multiplicities of 9 have the same symbol attributed each time.

Spoiler:
Correction: the symbols don't "shuffle". The only one that changes is the one associated with multiples of 9. This doesn't change anything of course, I'm just being gratuitously exact. :P

stepurhan 05-27-2006 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Bah! Piece of cake! (even if you weren't referring to me)

Don't mind if I do, ta! :D

Quite right though. As a sort of book-keeper myself the first question I ask someone who comes up with an error is how much the difference is. Divisible by 9? Transposition error!

t's amazing how much time it saves when you know that's what you are looking for.

Fairygdmther 05-27-2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepurhan
Don't mind if I do, ta! :D

Quite right though. As a sort of book-keeper myself the first question I ask someone who comes up with an error is how much the difference is. Divisible by 9? Transposition error!

t's amazing how much time it saves when you know that's what you are looking for.

How nice to have one's opinion backed by competent authority! Thanks

Lynsie

Spiwak 05-27-2006 03:01 PM

Well that was pretty easy to figure out, actually. Wierd number trick though.

MoriartyL 05-28-2006 06:35 AM

As far as number riddles go, this one is pretty lousy. Not quite as bad as the "Now subtract the number you started with..." ones, but close. Here's a better one:

Take a number. Any number, doesn't matter what kind. Just for example, let's say seventy-four, because I like seventy-four. Then you count the letters. The word "seventy-four" has eleven letters. So now we take "eleven"- six letters, so we get to "six". Keep going until you reach the end- you'll know it when you see it. Try this with any number, and see what happens!