Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Best Slasher Series (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/15004-best-slasher-series.html)

SamNMax 05-18-2006 03:45 PM

Best Slasher Series

Though all are horribly predictable, I'm going with Nightmare on Elm Street, since the series features one of the best protagonist in movie history (yes, Freddy is a protagonist).

Once A Villain 05-18-2006 03:57 PM

The original Halloween is the best of any of those, but as a series they ALL suck. I went with Hellraiser because they seem the most original and creative of the bunch.

SamNMax 05-18-2006 04:00 PM

I suppose, but Hellraiser seems to use poorly-concieved metaphors that don't really make sense.

Spiwak 05-18-2006 04:26 PM

Nightmare on Elm Street.

[toj.cc]Phantom 05-18-2006 06:00 PM

Nightmare on Elm Street...Freddy has a great sense of humor...

Jatsie 05-18-2006 06:08 PM

A Nightmare on Elm Street, just for this:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3522/jd16sn.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1144/jd25tr.jpg

and that scene where he sprayed all over the ceiling, that was pretty hot too, hehe. :devil:

Karmillo 05-18-2006 07:07 PM

Sprayed what?

Sage 05-18-2006 07:18 PM

Spoiler:
He fell asleep on his bed, got sucked down into it, and then a geyser of blood shot out of the hole and splattered the ceiling.

Karmillo 05-18-2006 07:29 PM

oo nasty

insane_cobra 05-18-2006 10:24 PM

I'm not sure I would call Hellraiser a slasher. In slashers you always have a single maniac killing people at seemingly random, though there are often hidden motives. Hellraiser is not about that at all, Cenobites are always conjured (at least in the movies I've seen) and there are more of them, even if Pinhead is the most prominent one.

I'd go for A Nightmare on Elm Street, it's one of the best horrors I've seen and was pretty innovative at the time. The less said about the sequels, the better.

insane_cobra 05-18-2006 10:47 PM

Almost forgot, Craven also gets my vote for the worst slasher movie ever made. In fact, it just might be the worst film I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty. Yes, Shocker is that bad.

seebaruk 05-19-2006 12:05 AM

I've never seen Shocker but I've seen some fecking awful slashers on the horror channel.

I went for Nightmare, cos I thought the 3rd one was actually really good (Welcome to Prime Time bitch!), and New Nightmare wasn't too bad. Halloween comes close though, the first was excellent and H20 was surprisingly decent (although the presence of LL Cool J boosts any film). Resurrection sucked dick, despite Busta Rhymes kung fu kicking Myers.

SCRUGAtes13 05-19-2006 12:23 AM

i only voted for scream because it was the film of my generation, otherwise i hate horror films (except for The Amityville film new one).

in honesty it's poor but i could probably watch it again if i had some popcorn, beer and friends. it's the right film for it: uneducational and full of death.

edit: okay i gotta see shocker now, cheap horrors are the best (halloween 3 is bloody hilarious)

insane_cobra 05-19-2006 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seebaruk
I went for Nightmare, cos I thought the 3rd one was actually really good (Welcome to Prime Time bitch!), and New Nightmare wasn't too bad.

Well, the third one definitely had its moments, but I didn't like it on the whole. After hearing so many good things about it ("almost as good as the first one!") I was bound to get disappointed. I also have fond memories of the sixth one, but that's only because I've seen it in a chock full cinema. Watching that 3D part still rates among the best experiences I've had in my life (because of the atmosphere in the theatre, not because the sequence was that special). Later I watched it on tape, it sucked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
okay i gotta see shocker now, cheap horrors are the best (halloween 3 is bloody hilarious)

I'm afraid it's not in the so-bad-it's-good category, it's just headache inducing. But for a good laugh, I recommend Troll 2. :)

EDIT: Except for the ending, the ending of Shocker had me in stitches. :D

Tobbe 05-19-2006 01:24 AM

Of those I´d say Nightmare on Elm Street, the series as overall isn´t so good, the first one is good, then it gets worse..

Panthera 05-19-2006 08:26 AM

I've only seen Nightmare on Elmstreet, Halloween (one movie think it was called 2000 or something like that) and Scream 3. Out of those choises I'll sure go for Nightmare!

SamNMax 05-19-2006 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Spoiler:
He fell asleep on his bed, got sucked down into it, and then a geyser of blood shot out of the hole and splattered the ceiling.

Good thing you used tags. I would've never forgiven you if you revieled a scene in a 20+ year old movie to us.

That's funny. I'm funny.

:rofl:

Huz 05-19-2006 02:44 PM

Yeah, cos everyone is immediately imbued with a full, some might say encyclopaedic, knowledge of every piece of film and literature the second they're more than ten years old. Silly Scott!

lollercoaster.

Jatsie 05-19-2006 03:03 PM

Friday 13th Part VI: Jason Lives, is on the Sci Fi channel right now, and repeated again at 1:40AM.

It has the best theme song: Alice Cooper - The Man Behind the Mask.

[toj.cc]Phantom 05-19-2006 03:09 PM

Alice Cooper is in a Nightmare on Elm Street movie if I remember correctly.