Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Thinking About Getting This Laptop... (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/14991-thinking-about-getting-laptop.html)

SakSquash 05-17-2006 07:07 PM

Thinking About Getting This Laptop...

Your thoughts?

Averatec 2150

Sage 05-17-2006 07:24 PM

For a few hundred more dollars, you could get a lot more laptop.

SakSquash 05-17-2006 07:26 PM

I thought about it, but decided that Mac = Cool, but hard to find software and games for it.

Sage 05-17-2006 07:39 PM

*sigh* Well, you do get the iLife suite of programs for free with any new Mac, but the gaming consideration still stands. I tried. :frown:
Taking Macs out of the equation, I'd go for the Lenovo (formerly IBM) ThinkPad. ThinkPads have earned a reputation for durability and reliability in the real world that is hard to beat, although there is nothing particularly cool or sexy about them. To use a somewhat sexist analogy, a ThinkPad isn't the one you lust after...it's the one you marry. :)
I've never heard of Averatec, nor have I ever seen one in use. For $800+ of my money, I've got to hear lots of unbiased testimonials.

Karmillo 05-17-2006 07:43 PM

Couldnt you get the mac and Dual boot it with windows?

Sage 05-17-2006 07:48 PM

Karmillo is correct; The MacBook is one of the dual-boot models.

SakSquash 05-18-2006 04:22 AM

Why would I want to dual boot?

bysmitty 05-18-2006 05:00 AM

I have to give the thumbs up to the Averatec originally posted. Averatec makes quality laptops that specialize in being very portable and light. I work with a lady who accidentally left her averatec laptop out in the rain!!! After a few days of slightly wonkey behavior, it dried out and now works as good as it did on day one. The x200 in it also will give you the ability to play some very basic current 3d games. It should be able to handle something like dreamfall or Fahrenheit if you turn down most of the graphics options. The only thing is the screen is only a 12" so that is either a plus or a minus depending on user. 12" means that it will be smaller and harder to see, especially at it's native resolution of 1280x800 but it also means that the size of the laptop will be small, light, and very portable. With the 80gig drive and dvd burner, it wraps it up as a pretty solid package. The 512 of memory will hold you out for now but if it starts getting real heavy use, it should be simple to upgrade to a gig.

If you wanted to sink a little more money into this system, you can get laptops that have x1600s in them. That will make gaming a little easier and a little more future proof. Since laptops are not upgradable, no matter what you get, in a year or two, it won't be able to handle newer games, period. A desktop in this price range would get you a raging system that would last you for years to come.

Why dual boot? Well, mac 0Sx is a pretty spiffy operating system. It does certain things better than windows does. Gaming is still a huge shortfall for apple though. Personally, it the PC hardware that appeals to me so dual booting a mac isn't for me yet. Now if I could dual boot my PC to xp and OSx, that would be cool.

...bysmitty

SakSquash 05-18-2006 01:24 PM

Gaming wont be my priority on this machine, but it would be nice if I could play some. Do me a favor...just tell if it will outgame this:

IBM Thinkpad

That's what I used to own two years ago. I was able to play BF1942 pretty well on it.

bysmitty 05-18-2006 02:36 PM

Quote:

IT'S FEATURES ARE AS FOLLOWS:

* Built-in RJ-11 and RJ-45 connectors for telephony and LAN connections
* 14.1" TFT BRIGHT COLOR DISPLAY
* 16MB SDRAM 4X Graphics
* 16-bit Sound Blaster Pro 16 3D compatible sound system 2 integrated speakers
Short answer, it will outgame the living snot out the IBM.

...bysmitty

SakSquash 05-18-2006 03:41 PM

Thanks bro! I'm going to go for it!

bysmitty 05-18-2006 06:45 PM

Good choice man. That is a very solid lappy. Enjoy!

...bysmitty