You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #61
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Some instant hot chocolate is designed to be had with water, but I agree that any hot chocolate sold at a café or restaurant should really be made with milk. Much more creamy tasting .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #62
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

I'm not a huge fan of hot chocolate per se (there's only three or four days a year here when you can drink it without courting spontaneous combustion ), but I have been known to dissolve a miniature dark chocolate bar in my coffee.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #63
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
BOLD emphasis is mine!

This is slightly off-topic, but it's sacrilegious to prepare hot chocolate with water! Unless you are lactose intolerant, you should always use milk for hot chocolate.

When I am on holiday skiing, I always make a point of asking whether or not they prepare the Hot chocolate with water or milk, when eating on one of the Alms (Yes, this is grammatically correct. It's "Auf der Alm", not "In der Alm" - "On the Alm", not "In the Alm"). I know it's rude, but I will never again drink a hot chocolate prepared with water that I had to pay for. If you are selling the stuff, you're just a cheapskate. I'll accept it if people do it at home (There might be people who prefer it that way, too.), but a restaurant should pay a little more to get milk, if they don't want to lose customers.

-
I don't agree with you. I make hot chocolate or cocoa with expensive Dutch processed cocoa which I mix with the sugar while dry to eliminate lumps, then add water to cook it (cocoa needs to be cooked), then after a few minutes cooking, I add milk or cream. If you try to cook cocoa in milk/cream, the scum will form on the top and it prevents the cocoa from being cooked properly. After adding the milk/cream, it only needs to be warmed, not hot enough to cook it. I also add a bit of real vanilla, and a tiny bit of salt to help bring out the flavor. I have never found a 'mix' to come close to my version. This way you can make it as strong or creamy as you like it.

Lynsie
Old 05-19-2006, 08:17 AM   #64
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I don't agree with you. I make hot chocolate or cocoa with expensive Dutch processed cocoa which I mix with the sugar while dry to eliminate lumps, then add water to cook it (cocoa needs to be cooked), then after a few minutes cooking, I add milk or cream. If you try to cook cocoa in milk/cream, the scum will form on the top and it prevents the cocoa from being cooked properly. After adding the milk/cream, it only needs to be warmed, not hot enough to cook it. I also add a bit of real vanilla, and a tiny bit of salt to help bring out the flavor. I have never found a 'mix' to come close to my version. This way you can make it as strong or creamy as you like it.

Lynsie
I don't deny that other people like it different. It's just that I prefer it with milk, and I've drank great hot chocolate made with milk in some restaurants, so it is possible.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #65
Roar?

I don't like hot chocolate made with purely warm milk. It tastes like goat fur or something, yech. I also don't like hot chocolate that's too chocolatey.* My method of making hot chocolate is similar to Lynsie's, except I foam skim milk and add it to the hot water and cocoa mixture. I like a bit of cinnamon in my hot chocolate sometimes and sometimes Baileys is nice.

*It's just occured to me that I like my beverages watery! No wonder I like cheap coffee and weak tea.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
I don't like hot chocolate made with purely warm milk. It tastes like goat fur or something, yech. I also don't like hot chocolate that's too chocolatey.* My method of making hot chocolate is similar to Lynsie's, except I foam skim milk and add it to the hot water and cocoa mixture. I like a bit of cinnamon in my hot chocolate sometimes and sometimes Baileys is nice.

*It's just occured to me that I like my beverages watery! No wonder I like cheap coffee and weak tea.

The worst hot chocolate I ever did drink is probably the one that smelled of some weird kind of cheese. Oddly enough, that one was made with water.

-

Old 05-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #67
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Oh maybe that day the pipes wernt working and the only water they could find was that stuff you always get the Mozzerela packed in!
Old 05-19-2006, 06:38 PM   #68
Roar?

EW Chocolate whey
Old 05-20-2006, 06:39 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Oh maybe that day the pipes wernt working and the only water they could find was that stuff you always get the Mozzerela packed in!
I don't think so, Mozzarella doesn't taste as strong. Also, Mozzarella is kept in either in saltwater or whey, so it's quite unlikely that they would use it.

Oh, and they *did* manage to cook dinner on that same day, and it didn't taste like cheese at all (unless the food in question contained cheese, of course).

-