Kettles - Page 4 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #61
The Thread™ will die.
 
RLacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 22,542
Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default

Some instant hot chocolate is designed to be had with water, but I agree that any hot chocolate sold at a café or restaurant should really be made with milk. Much more creamy tasting .
__________________
RLacey | Killer of the Thread™

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.


RLacey is offline  
Old 05-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #62
Bad Influence
 
Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Birmingham, Alabama USA
Posts: 5,547
Send a message via Yahoo to Sage
Default

I'm not a huge fan of hot chocolate per se (there's only three or four days a year here when you can drink it without courting spontaneous combustion ), but I have been known to dissolve a miniature dark chocolate bar in my coffee.
__________________
Ignorance is bliss, denial is divine, and willful ignorance is a religious experience.

Share the love.

<3
Sage is offline  
Old 05-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #63
Magic Wand Waver
 
Fairygdmther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 3,142
Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
BOLD emphasis is mine!

This is slightly off-topic, but it's sacrilegious to prepare hot chocolate with water! Unless you are lactose intolerant, you should always use milk for hot chocolate.

When I am on holiday skiing, I always make a point of asking whether or not they prepare the Hot chocolate with water or milk, when eating on one of the Alms (Yes, this is grammatically correct. It's "Auf der Alm", not "In der Alm" - "On the Alm", not "In the Alm"). I know it's rude, but I will never again drink a hot chocolate prepared with water that I had to pay for. If you are selling the stuff, you're just a cheapskate. I'll accept it if people do it at home (There might be people who prefer it that way, too.), but a restaurant should pay a little more to get milk, if they don't want to lose customers.

-
I don't agree with you. I make hot chocolate or cocoa with expensive Dutch processed cocoa which I mix with the sugar while dry to eliminate lumps, then add water to cook it (cocoa needs to be cooked), then after a few minutes cooking, I add milk or cream. If you try to cook cocoa in milk/cream, the scum will form on the top and it prevents the cocoa from being cooked properly. After adding the milk/cream, it only needs to be warmed, not hot enough to cook it. I also add a bit of real vanilla, and a tiny bit of salt to help bring out the flavor. I have never found a 'mix' to come close to my version. This way you can make it as strong or creamy as you like it.

Lynsie
__________________
Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fairygdmther is offline  
Old 05-19-2006, 08:17 AM   #64
Ale! And keep 'em coming!
 
Jazhara7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Beyond the Pattern of Reality...or Germany
Posts: 8,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I don't agree with you. I make hot chocolate or cocoa with expensive Dutch processed cocoa which I mix with the sugar while dry to eliminate lumps, then add water to cook it (cocoa needs to be cooked), then after a few minutes cooking, I add milk or cream. If you try to cook cocoa in milk/cream, the scum will form on the top and it prevents the cocoa from being cooked properly. After adding the milk/cream, it only needs to be warmed, not hot enough to cook it. I also add a bit of real vanilla, and a tiny bit of salt to help bring out the flavor. I have never found a 'mix' to come close to my version. This way you can make it as strong or creamy as you like it.

Lynsie
I don't deny that other people like it different. It's just that I prefer it with milk, and I've drank great hot chocolate made with milk in some restaurants, so it is possible.


-
__________________
- "esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!" Dennis added, and the wizard's robe caught on fire. "Gosh," Dennis said, "and some people say higher math isn't relevant."

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Jazhara7 is offline  
Old 05-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #65
Roar?
 
Stoofa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 665
Default

I don't like hot chocolate made with purely warm milk. It tastes like goat fur or something, yech. I also don't like hot chocolate that's too chocolatey.* My method of making hot chocolate is similar to Lynsie's, except I foam skim milk and add it to the hot water and cocoa mixture. I like a bit of cinnamon in my hot chocolate sometimes and sometimes Baileys is nice.

*It's just occured to me that I like my beverages watery! No wonder I like cheap coffee and weak tea.
Stoofa is offline  
Old 05-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #66
Ale! And keep 'em coming!
 
Jazhara7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Beyond the Pattern of Reality...or Germany
Posts: 8,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
I don't like hot chocolate made with purely warm milk. It tastes like goat fur or something, yech. I also don't like hot chocolate that's too chocolatey.* My method of making hot chocolate is similar to Lynsie's, except I foam skim milk and add it to the hot water and cocoa mixture. I like a bit of cinnamon in my hot chocolate sometimes and sometimes Baileys is nice.

*It's just occured to me that I like my beverages watery! No wonder I like cheap coffee and weak tea.

The worst hot chocolate I ever did drink is probably the one that smelled of some weird kind of cheese. Oddly enough, that one was made with water.


-
__________________
- "esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!" Dennis added, and the wizard's robe caught on fire. "Gosh," Dennis said, "and some people say higher math isn't relevant."

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Jazhara7 is offline  
Old 05-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #67
woof
 
Karmillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NOT REALLY RIGHT HERE
Posts: 4,750
Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo
Default

Oh maybe that day the pipes wernt working and the only water they could find was that stuff you always get the Mozzerela packed in!
__________________
"I've got nothing to lose! Except for...well everything."
Karmillo is offline  
Old 05-19-2006, 06:38 PM   #68
Roar?
 
Stoofa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 665
Default

EW Chocolate whey
Stoofa is offline  
Old 05-20-2006, 06:39 AM   #69
Ale! And keep 'em coming!
 
Jazhara7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Beyond the Pattern of Reality...or Germany
Posts: 8,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Oh maybe that day the pipes wernt working and the only water they could find was that stuff you always get the Mozzerela packed in!
I don't think so, Mozzarella doesn't taste as strong. Also, Mozzarella is kept in either in saltwater or whey, so it's quite unlikely that they would use it.

Oh, and they *did* manage to cook dinner on that same day, and it didn't taste like cheese at all (unless the food in question contained cheese, of course).



-
__________________
- "esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!" Dennis added, and the wizard's robe caught on fire. "Gosh," Dennis said, "and some people say higher math isn't relevant."

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Jazhara7 is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.