You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #21
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
I must admit, I've known Americans are weird when it comes to tea and its preparation for at least a year. Last year while travelling around Europe, I had the following conversation with an American fellow traveller:

Me: "Want some tea?"
Him: "Sure, I'll have a glass of tea."

A glass? But I let it slide.

As it happened, there was only one mug, which I claimed, so he got his glass in the end.

Next question.
Me: "Milk?"
Him: "Milk? In tea? Hahaha!"

Americans are weird.
You should have poured it on his crotch and watch him laugh that one off
Old 05-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #22
Super Moderator

We do have electric kettles here (I think) but we call them hot pots. We've always had one in my family. We often took it camping because it was an easy way to heat water (we stayed in campgrounds with electricity). I had one in college to make that culinary delight - Ramen noodles. I own one now that looks very much like this:

I've found if I want hot water in a hotel room I just run water through the coffee machine (without the coffee in it of course. ).
Old 05-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #23
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

That thing looks reasonably sane, Mel, but it has a "Low" to "High" setting! What's that all about?!

All a kettle needs is a button or switch which, when pressed, will cause the water to boil as quickly as practically possible. How can you overcomplicate it with a power setting?! It's not toast we're making here!

Insanity.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #24
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
I must admit, I've known Americans are weird when it comes to tea and its preparation for at least a year. Last year while travelling around Europe, I had the following conversation with an American fellow traveller:

As it happened, there was only one mug, which I claimed, so he got his glass in the end.

Next question.

Americans are weird.

I have to admit, my uncle used to drink tea out of glasses. But it were glass mugs, and we still have those old glass mugs that are held in a basket kind of holder, so that you don't burn your fingers. So it's not *really* a glass. Just a mug made from glass.

And who drinks tea out of mugs anyway?

Okay, so I *do* have a mug that I drink tea out of. But I *HAVE* to. It's my mug of World Domination!

And unless the tea in question is peppermint tea, milk is a must. Although I actually drank peppermint tea with milk (and *lots* of sugar. I was in Egypt at the time, and wanted to try it for once. The people there drink their tea terribly sweet.) before. It wasn't all that bad.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #25
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Milk is fine in tea or out of it (I happen to take milk). What I can't stand, though, is the defilement of tea with sugar. Why on earth would anyone want to completely destroy the natural flavour?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
That thing looks reasonably sane, Mel, but it has a "Low" to "High" setting! What's that all about?!

All a kettle needs is a button or switch which, when pressed, will cause the water to boil as quickly as practically possible. How can you overcomplicate it with a power setting?! It's not toast we're making here!

Insanity.
It's all I have to give Huz.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #27
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz

Insanity.

I never make use of the power setting on toasters, really.

I really make toast, on the other hand.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #28
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I have to admit, my uncle used to drink tea out of glasses.
Nothing in this thread would surprise me any more - it's what the sex thread should be like, except with people admitting they don't own kettles instead of confessing to scatalogical fetishes.

And Germany was already on my list of "countries who know nothing of tea". It was a week in Germany that showed me I have some kind of tea addiction. I was virtually shaking by the time I came home!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #29
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz

Next question.

Americans are weird.
Well... another issue is that Americans don't often drink *hot* tea. Iced tea (or sweet tea in the South... once had a confusing discussion over *that* one myself) is much more common. And, of course, one generally would drink iced tea in a glass, and would not add milk.

Out of curiousity, was your friend from the North or the South? From what I hear, hot tea is almost never drunk in the South.

Peace & Luv, Liz

P.S. Thanks for making me feel vindicated, Scottsie. It's sometimes hard being one of the few US folks who regularly visits the chat! ;P

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 05-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #30
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
And Germany was already on my list of "countries who know nothing of tea". It was a week in Germany that showed me I have some kind of tea addiction. I was virtually shaking by the time I came home!
It's always when I go abroad that I suddenly find myself wanting tea. For some reason when I'm at home I can actually avoid it most of the time, and yet I miss it as soon as it's not there .

Old 05-17-2006, 02:33 PM   #31
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
Out of curiousity, was your friend from the North or the South? From what I hear, hot tea is almost never drunk in the South.
He was from California - whichever that counts as!

Why is not tea not drunk in the south? The climate, or is it somehow just tradition?

If it's the climate, I should point out that hot tea cools you down in the long run - it tricks your body into thinking it's hotter than it really is, so your body's cooling response goes into overdrive! It may make you sweat in the short term, but it's worth it!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #32
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Why is not tea not drunk in the south? The climate, or is it somehow just tradition?
My friend didn't really say... but if you like, some relevant conversations:

Quote:
"Side note: It took me forever to realize that 'sweet tea' is the Southern term for 'iced tea'. Back when he complained that drinking lots of sweet tea was making him pudgy, I was wondering why he didn't just drink 'plain tea'... since tea isn't that full of calories sans sugar and milk..."

"Because PLAIN tea is for Brits and masochists. There's only one kind of tea in this part of the country... sweet enough to rot teeth on contact, and iced to perfection. To us, there's 'tea' and then there's 'other tea'.
Quote:
"I love plain tea. Milk and sugar dilute the taste of the tea."

"Unsweetened tea tastes like turpentine."

"Well... I love plain 'flavored' tea, I should say. Generic tea-flavored tea does need a bit of help."
Quote:
"Unsweet tea is every bit as nasty as black coffee. I can't stand either of them... they're too bitter."

"I like strong flavored tea, black and unsweet. If you have to sweeten your tea, you bought the wrong flavor tea, IMHO."

"It works the opposite way here. If you have to buy flavored tea, you aren't using enough sugar."
Quote:
"You mean hot tea tho, right?"

"Yes, hot tea. I do like iced tea as well, though."

"See southerners don't really drink hot tea. Ever."

"Yeah."

"Unless they're weird like me."
Quote:
"Like I said, there's only one kind of 'tea' around here. Everything else is viewed as something of a totally different category."

"It's a whole other world down here."
Quote:
"Personally, though, I like chai."

"*drool* Chai..."

"What?"

"It's a hippy drink."

"Chai is basically a mix of tea, sweetener, spices, and milk. So it's spicy tea, more or less. And yes, very hippie."

"Traitor."

"What do you mean, 'traitor'?"

"You drink hippie drinks."

"Note: southerners also hate hippies."
Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 05-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #33
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Of course, the next question is which variety of tea you guys are talking about when you say "tea". Because an Early Grey is very different from a Darjeeling or an English Breakfast Tea...

Old 05-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #34
Super Moderator

You Brits take this tea thing quite seriously, don't you?

Although, my late aunt and uncle were both primarily tea drinkers and quite frugal. They would use one tea bag for the two of them. My aunt would always go first followed by my uncle who always had milk in his tea.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:04 PM   #35
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

But again... what type of tea?

Old 05-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #36
Super Moderator

I'll have to ask my mom. I can't remember.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #37
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Hate Earl Grey tea - can't stand the bergamot flavoring - smells/tastes like flowers! Prefer English Breakfast tea, but I also like Darjeeling and Oolong. Oh, and I prefer it with sugar and lemon.

Lynsie
Old 05-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #38
Super Moderator

I like Assam teas which are found in breakfast tea blends.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #39
Roar?

Does anyone else have tea with their meals? Most people with deep roots in Atlantic Canada do, but not in the other parts of Canada. When I travel and go to a restaurant I have to specify that I'd like my tea with my meal, not after my meal. If you don't have a big supply of tea in your house there's something wrong with you, even if it's crap tea like King Cole. I think I read that we consume 90% of the tea sold in Canada, and we only make up 7% of the total population.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #40
Huz
Kersal Massive

See, I told you this thread had the potential to run as long as Thread Must Die. We've just had an equally confusing discussion about the meaning of the word "grill".

I take either PG Tips or English Breakfast. Quite strong, no sugar, a dash of milk!