You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 02:20 AM   #1
Lazy Bee

Default healing

I´m kind of bewildered after an experience this weekend. We were having dinner at our friends´house. It was the inner circle of our friends so to say and as always we´re having a great time. One of the guys has been acting differently lately, without us knowing why. He has his own company: water and ventilation consultant and is very successful, he´s a suit-person. Now it turns out he has had several sessions of spiritual guidance and he has become a healer!
We were kind of laughing him off and he was a little embarrased but since I live with pain (headaches and pain in the neck and jaws) he said he could help me with it.
Now, I´m a science-person and never thought about seeing a healer to ease my pain, and sitting there I didn´t feel a thing. But now three days afterwards I haven´t taken a singel painkiller pill, I´ve woken up without that stiff feeling in my jaws and ny neck feels more smooth and moveable than ever.
This might very well be a coincidence, but it sure made me start thinking.
Thoughts!
Has anyone of you experienced anything similar?
Old 05-02-2006, 02:54 AM   #2
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I cant say I have myself but you could always peg it down to psychology

Sub conciouse and all that stuff
Old 05-02-2006, 03:04 AM   #3
Explorer of the uncharted

Yes, and human contact has been known to do wonders
Old 05-02-2006, 03:11 AM   #4
A Servicable Villain

It's always nice if you get just the slightest of hints that there may be indeed more than just scientific solutions for things.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 AM   #5
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I generally don't care unless they extort money from the stupid, or stop the absent brained to not follow medical advice. If people want to think that someone can magically heal them through the "power" of irrationally believing in something, then I'm fine with that. Of course, I wont hesitate to call them crazy.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
I generally don't care unless they extort money from the stupid, or stop the absent brained to not follow medical advice. If people want to think that someone can magically heal them through the "power" of irrationally believing in something, then I'm fine with that. Of course, I wont hesitate to call them crazy.
Well, that´s about my opinion too, (although I don´t need to express myself in such a condencending tone).
And that´s why I´m surprised that I actually feel less pain. Of course I wont draw any conclusions out of it. I´ll let time pass and see what happens. I might even try it again out of curiosity.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #7
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

You may, of course, be feeling less pain because you expect to; you know, psychological mind games and what-not. Personally I don't have a great amount of faith in procedures not rooted in science, though I don't mind what treatments people choose so long as they know what they're getting into .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 AM   #8
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
You may, of course, be feeling less pain because you expect to; you know, psychological mind games and what-not. Personally I don't have a great amount of faith in procedures not rooted in science, though I don't mind what treatments people choose so long as they know what they're getting into .
The thing is I wasn´t expecting anything, I was rather amused at the time and didn´t want to hurt his feelings by turning his offer down. It wasn´t until this morning I realised that everything felt better. One thing that could have caused this effect might be that the entire situation made me relax: all of us back together and a certain amount of alcohol also makes my muscles relax somewhat (good thing I´m not an addiction-type of person). But that really wouldn´t last three days.
I still don´t believe in it, but I must say it made me think.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Neither "accepted, modern medicine" nor "alternative medicine" have all the answers. The most conservative of doctors regularly see things that they don't understand, can't explain, and which seem to fly in the face of logic, and rare is the spiritual healer that will recommend herbs and candles over stitches for an open wound or chanting over surgery for a "hot" appendix.
The most enlightened of surgeons will freely admit that a patient's attitude is every bit as important as the operations they perform, at least where recovery is concerned.
The bottom line is this: There are all sorts of things about the human mind and the human body that science doesn't understand and can't fully explain at this time. If you feel better, you feel better; don't question the hows and whys, just enjoy the result!
I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
merely human

I totally share Scottsie's point of view on this. As a modern society we've always been led to believe that science has all the answers. Yet how much does science actually know, how much has it actually explored, of the universe and of the human mind? If we allegedly use only 10% of our brain, then what goes on in the other 90%? And is it something that science and its adherence to pure logic can explain away?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-02-2006, 09:27 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Scientists do try to understand as much as they can with how things work. Some of those, when they do, can become arrogant, like they invented whatever it was they discovered. The best scientists are in awe of what they discover and feel humbled by the fact they were able to find at least part of the answer and maybe make a difference in someone elses life. And I think a good scientist knows they may never know all the answers and they need to just let themselves be immersed in the mystery of it all. [/philosophical mode*].

* They don't call it a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) for nothin' ya know.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:30 AM   #12
merely human

Exactly, Melsie. That is the thing I love about science, the 'romance' about it, the childlike wonderment. What I absolutely hate is the attitude that if Science (capital 'A') can't detect or explain something, then it doesn't exist or is totally irrelevant. That, really, is more the product of smugness and too much dependence on just one way of looking at things.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #13
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Yeah I totaly agree with you!

Like this one time my dog came in and he was like "Whoa dude this gypsie like totaly put this hex on me and I feel better than ever before!" so I bitchslapped him and was like "STFU! Thats not scientific!"

Well ever since then hes been giving me the silent treatment but its just as well cause I sure aint talking to that crazy nut and his irrational gypsie beleifs!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #14
merely human

What's your dog's star sign? Maybe that could explain something.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #15
woof

his birthday is in may....I think it might be the 13th....or the 3rd

So what would that be then?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #16
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

That would be Taurus.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #17
merely human

Awww. We Virgos get along well with Taurus.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #18
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
If you feel better, you feel better; don't question the hows and whys, just enjoy the result!
I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better.
Thanks Scott! That´s an attitude I need to develope more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie 68
The best scientists are in awe of what they discover and feel humbled by the fact they were able to find at least part of the answer and maybe make a difference in someone elses life.
That´s well expressed!
I grew up with a meteorologist/scientist dad. We´ve often discussed the Nature of science (and I also teach primary science.) So basically that´s how I see the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep
What I absolutely hate is the attitude that if Science (capital 'A') can't detect or explain something, then it doesn't exist or is totally irrelevant..
Well, it´s really interesting when something happens that challenges what we believe in and our view of the world.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #19
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Intrepid Homoludens
Yet how much does science actually know, how much has it actually explored, of the universe and of the human mind?
An impressive ammount. Science doesn't claim to know everything, superstitious faith stuff has an answer for every, not science.
Quote:
If we allegedly use only 10% of our brain, then what goes on in the other 90%? And is it something that science and its adherence to pure logic can explain away?
Where did you get that 10% figure? Not science.
Quote:
What I absolutely hate is the attitude that if Science (capital 'A') can't detect or explain something, then it doesn't exist or is totally irrelevant.
If science can't detect something, the term we use is supernatural. If science can't detect it then it's completely irrelevant, to science, and humans, it cannot be experienced. Science doesn't need a definitive explanation, and it doesn't propose that something doesn't exist.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #20
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

"The Ten-Percent Myth" - Urban Legends Reference Pages

Anyhoo. I agree that the human mind is a powerful thing, and sometimes the mind can affect your body in profound ways, even if consciously you don't expect it to.

You didn't give details about your pain, Lena, so I can only give guessed examples... chronic pain can sometimes be caused by stress (I have problems with this myself), so it's entirely possible that "relaxing" enough *could* get rid of some of it.

I personally wouldn't recommend using alternative medicine in place of traditional medicine, but as supplemental treatment it could be an idea (as long as you steer away from anything that would actually be harmful). I do feel that in general you're going to be paying money to gain benefit from helping your mind help your body, not gaining benefit from the treatment itself, but if you have the money to spare it's worth a shot.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."