You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #41
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
This was 15 years ago so I don´t really remember to be honest. I do remember the strange feeling of seeing the rod go down.
Did you try it yet?
I've tried some of the pendulum-based variants on the concept.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 05-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #42
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

I have never heard of the "Curry Lines". I understand the point Jeysie is making about the "pendulum effect", and I agree with it. But I don't see what that has to do with dowsing.
Around here, we hire dowsers to find good spots to dig wells. I've seen one work, and the results spoke for themselves: 30 feet down was clear water (on a hilltop, well above the natural water table). I also spoke to the man at some length about dowsing. He said that anyone can learn to do it, but some people were much more naturally adept at it than others. According to him, this is a talent that tends to run in families, and he himself came from a long line of dowsers. He also said that neither of his three sons were interested in carrying on the family business, so it would probably die out with him.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #43
Diva of Death

Scott: The article I linked to covers that question as well. To wit:

Quote:
Innumerable experiments, beginning in 1641--that's right, 1641--have demonstrated that:

(a) The presence of water has no discernible effect on a rod held above it, whether the rod is made of wood, metal, or anything else.

(b) The success rate for diviners is about the same as that for people who use the hit-and-miss method when looking for water.

(c) Geologists trained to recognize telltale surface clues (certain kinds of rocks and plants, various topographical features) will invariably far outdo dowsers in predicting where water will be found, and at what depth.
Quote:
An experienced dowser, who has often picked up a fair bit of practical geological knowledge, particularly if he has worked in the same geographical area for many years, often develops a good instinct for judging where water might be just by looking at the terrain. When he walks around doing his number with the stick his mind unconsciously transmits this knowledge to his arm muscles, with predictable results.
In short: I still think it's a pretty neat effect, but it's not "supernatural".

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
Old 05-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #44
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

I never said it was "supernatural", merely not fully understood at the present time.
In fairness, the dowser I spoke to had been working in Blount County, Alabama for more than forty years. The site he dowsed already had one well nearby, but the water in that particular well was not potable due to excessive mineral content (iron and calcium, both very common in this area), therefore we were looking for a second, separate water source on the site with an eye towards building a house there.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #45
Lazy Bee

My dad, who is a (now retired) scientist in meteorology (working for the governement for 20 years, also worked with UK- and US-scientists from time to time) actually also hired a dowser when he was to dig a new well at his and mom´s summer cottage.
Why? Well that´s how they did it when he grew up in a rural area of northen Sweden. Why not go with the best methods available he said.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #46
Diva of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
I never said it was "supernatural", merely not fully understood at the present time.
The only "not fully understood" part I can see is that the ways that people can subconsciously affect their body aren't "fully documented" (or however you wish to phrase it) yet.

But in terms of dowsing itself, I'd chalk it up to nothing more than what the article I quoted already said, more or less... somebody translating knowledge gained from experience into a slightly flashier form than the average "traditional" scholar/scientist would use.

Peace & Luv, Liz