Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   David Lynch thread (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/14663-david-lynch-thread.html)

Spiwak 05-06-2006 04:07 PM

Svankmajer's one of the best animators ever.

Once A Villain 05-06-2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiwak
Damn. Guess I'll have to just split up the five hours over a couple days. I have a hard time playing a video game for five hours straight :crazy:

Perhaps I have ADD.

There are very few films I could make it through in one sitting that are over 3 hours. Fanny and Alexander is one of them. The first time I saw it (which was long before the Criterion came out) I remember being blown away. I can't explain it entirely. The movie just worked its magic on me. I watched the whole 5 hours without moving, LOL.

I also managed to watch the 1995 miniseries of Pride and Prejudice in one sitting despite the 5 hour length. It's nowhere in the vicinity of Fanny and Alexander, but it was still quite good.

SCRUGAtes13 05-08-2006 02:47 AM

i saw you mentioned kubrick earlier but how comes no-one mentioned 'eyes wide shut'?. forget what the critics said it's one of his best, seriously scary stuff. and loads of tits to keep you awake, not like eraserhead, where the only visual stimulation is a deformed tyranosaur baby.

kuze 05-08-2006 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Once A Villain
For Tarkovsky - Mirror and Andrei Rublev

Both have other films later on my list (it goes up to 300 so far, lol). For Tarkovsky I know Ivan's Childhood and Solaris are there, and I believe Stalker as well.

For me, Stalker is Tarkovsky's best work. I love the monologues (visuals are of course as great as in any Tarkovsky), especially the sarcastic remarks by the writer, the most interesting character. However, Solonitsyn makes every role unique. I adore Mirror just for the first few minutes where he makes his first and only appereance.
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2431/stalker0hw.jpg

Spiwak 05-08-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
i saw you mentioned kubrick earlier but how comes no-one mentioned 'eyes wide shut'?. forget what the critics said it's one of his best, seriously scary stuff. and loads of tits to keep you awake, not like eraserhead, where the only visual stimulation is a deformed tyranosaur baby.

From my tops list:
Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderBoy, the Greatest Boy in the Universe
11 Eyes Wide Shut - Kubrick

Oh, and I think I read somewhere that the baby in Eraserhead was a goat (or cow, I don't remember) fetus. Or something like that. Interesting if it's true...

adventurefan 05-08-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Oh, and I think I read somewhere that the baby in Eraserhead was a goat (or cow, I don't remember) fetus. Or something like that. Interesting if it's true...

Whatever that baby was, David Lynch will never tell. Eraserhead is the only film of Lynch's I've seen, and I enjoyed it, although admittedly, it was one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen, but the atmosphere that was created was gripping and meloncholy. I'd be willing to watch most of his other films, except Blue Velvet (one I've put on my 'avoid' list.. Sounds a bit too brutal for me...) I really want to see Elephant Man...

SCRUGAtes13 05-09-2006 02:38 AM

Quote:

i must've missed the eyes wide shut at number 11, but a goat/cow fetus?! that's crazy! i love it!

i still don't think the film is watchable but it pushes up my love for the film by a little.

kuze 05-09-2006 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Once A Villain
...other films on my list (it goes up to 300 so far, lol). For Tarkovsky I know Ivan's Childhood and Solaris are there, and I believe Stalker as well. For Kubrick there's Paths of Glory and Barry Lyndon.

Mind posting the list? I suppose if you can count the movies on your list you have it written down somewhere. I'd really appreciate it.

Once A Villain 05-09-2006 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuze
Mind posting the list? I suppose if you can count the movies on your list you have it written down somewhere. I'd really appreciate it.

I'm estimating there are 300, it's not for sure. There are still some films I need to rewatch that made the list long ago. There's even one film in my Top 10 that I'm not quite sure about (if it fell, it would only be to the teens). So, I will finish it soon.

Catbert 05-09-2006 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adventurefan
Whatever that baby was, David Lynch will never tell. Eraserhead is the only film of Lynch's I've seen, and I enjoyed it, although admittedly, it was one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen, but the atmosphere that was created was gripping and meloncholy. I'd be willing to watch most of his other films, except Blue Velvet (one I've put on my 'avoid' list.. Sounds a bit too brutal for me...) I really want to see Elephant Man...

I think the point was that he found parenthood to be such a monstrous task he found his baby to be... you guessed it, monstrous, not the finding out of what species the baby was. Then again if you knew this already and I'm being an arse, just say it and we'll take it outside.

tannanananan CRACK POW BLAM