Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   David Lynch thread (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/14663-david-lynch-thread.html)

Catbert 04-29-2006 05:22 PM

You people try to find too much in Lynch's stuff. He's insane, there's nothing more than that.

lumi 04-30-2006 11:35 AM

With all the disucssion about Lost Highway, I decided to give it a view. I did see similarities between it and Mulholland Drive, and I suppose it would offer more a challenge if I tried "getting" it. But while the movie was good, it didn't make me too interested in going back and analyzing it. I found Mulholland Drive more enjoyable. I don't care if it happens more accessible, because I don't think accessibility or non-accessibility necessarily makes a movie worse or better.

Speaking of Lynch, he has a new in the works. IMDB says it's in post-production right now, and gives the summary: "Set in the inland valley outside of Los Angeles, David Lynch's new film is a mystery about a woman in trouble." Sounds like Mulholland Drive right now. ;) Based on similarities I've seen in his movies, I bet it will feature very close close-ups, sex, and mysterious, powerful men.

AFGNCAAP 04-30-2006 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
Speaking of Lynch, he has a new in the works. IMDB says it's in post-production right now, and gives the summary: "Set in the inland valley outside of Los Angeles, David Lynch's new film is a mystery about a woman in trouble." Sounds like Mulholland Drive right now. ;) Based on similarities I've seen in his movies, I bet it will feature very close close-ups, sex, and mysterious, powerful men.

Yeah, I am particularly interested in that one, since it's been largely shot in Łódź, Poland (a city Lynch was quoted to be intrigued by since his first visit there). It also features a couple of Polish actors, although at this point I can't tell for sure if they won't just appear in cameos.

EDIT: That includes Von Glower from Gabriel Knight 2, I might add. :)

Spiwak 04-30-2006 02:49 PM

I too am anxiously awaiting Inland Empire, if that is what it's still called. Slap David Lynch's name on it somewhere and I'm there.

NcroManiac 04-30-2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiwak
Slap David Lynch's name on it somewhere and I'm there.

David Lynch's Dune 2: Tremors attack? :P

Spiwak 04-30-2006 05:40 PM

Well, there are exceptions to every rule.

After a brisk nap 04-30-2006 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NcroManiac
David Lynch's Dune 2: Tremors attack? :P

...directed by Uwe Boll, based on the real-time strategy game by Westwood!

The scary thing is, I would still see it. Though in my capacity as a Dune fanboy, not as a Lynch fan.

Ninth 05-01-2006 02:42 AM

Some guy explained Lost Highway to me, and it made perfect sense, same as in Mulholland Drive, so I wouldn't say it's weird for the sake of being weird.

And Dune is a masterpiece; I will defend that to my grave. After all, it's the only real space opera I've ever seen. It has a vision, it has originality, it has great actors (with shakespearian leanings), it has beautiful settings, and it has the worms, which are awesome. And, as a bonus, it translates the spirit of the books perfectly.

kuze 05-01-2006 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
Some guy explained Lost Highway to me, and it made perfect sense, same as in Mulholland Drive, so I wouldn't say it's weird for the sake of being weird.

Please explain LH to me then. I have poked on this movie for ages with a friend of mine, and still no matter what explanation you choose there are some elements that contradict it.

Ninth 05-01-2006 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuze
Please explain LH to me then. I have poked on this movie for ages with a friend of mine, and still no matter what explanation you choose there are some elements that contradict it.

Spoiler:
It's basically the exact same construction as in Mulholland Drive. Someone makes something he can't accept (killing his wife), and reinvents himself (as the young boy) who is this time not the torturer, but the victim. And, as a bonus, he reinvents his victim, who becomes his torturer.
All the weird characters are product of his schizophrenic mind, and things like the picture with the two women are hints to himself from his conscience that what he sees is a lie.
There are other things like the color (Lynch's red = evil), etc...

The explanation I got was during an party, so I can't say I remember more than this, but there was more, and it was damn interesting. Not that I hadn't loved Lost Highway even when I didn't understand it, because unlike Once a Villain said, I've always found that Lynch knows exactly what his movies mean.

kuze 05-01-2006 03:40 AM

Spoiler:
What about the very first episode in the movie then, where this 'someone' gets a hint about the employer of his wife being dead? Or are you just saying that everything that doesn't make sense is basically a 'product of his schizophrenic mind'? I'm rather interested in an exact chronological order of all the events in LH.
So lets suppose the guy killes his wife's employer. But why should he, if he only learns about him after the party when the employer is already dead?

Ninth 05-01-2006 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuze
Spoiler:
What about the very first episode in the movie then, where this 'someone' gets a hint about the employer of his wife being dead? Or are you just saying that everything that doesn't make sense is basically a 'product of his schizophrenic mind'? I'm rather interested in an exact chronological order of all the events in LH.
So lets suppose the guy killes his wife's employer. But why should he, if he only learns about him after the party when the employer is already dead?

Good question... It's been a long while since I've last seen the movie, and, as I said, the explanation was brief, so I can't help you.
Spoiler:
I guess he might have killed both his employer and his wife because he suspected an affair between the two. Then he would black the murder out of his own mind, so that when he's told about the employer he would think that he had just learned it.

kuze 05-01-2006 04:16 AM

Spoiler:
OK, but what about the guy his wife is flirting with at the party? In the 'dream'-part he is being killed right before the wife's employer's death, and he is still dead when both detectives examine the photo at the end of the movie, so this episode is not a 'dream'-part. This person is alive at the party, however. So, he has been killed after the party, when the employer was already dead.

AFGNCAAP 05-01-2006 04:22 AM

I spoilerized the details of the Lost Highway explanation. ;)

I forgot a lot of the movie, but I'm pretty sure there were more holes in that interpretation than just the one kuze mentions.

Spoiler:
Attributing everything that doesn't fit the theory to a character's schizophrenic mind is of course convenient, but I don't think such trick was necessary in case of Mulholland Drive, which is one of the reasons for it to be better.

Another thing I loved in Mulholland is the range of emotions it triggers (in me, at least). I laughed, I cried, I was scared, sometimes all one after another. Mind you, I am not saying that movies played on one note (like Lost Highway's homogeneously morbid tone) are inferior. But I was in utter awe at how easily Lynch manipulated me into all those states, even before I had any idea what the hell is going on on screen.

EDIT: You know what? I think the Lynch discussion deserves a separate thread. Give me a sec. EDIT 2: Done.

lumi 05-01-2006 07:55 AM

Here are two things that I read about to keep in mind while watching Lost Highway:

Spoiler:

1) Moebius strip
2) a killer with multiple personalities

Ninth 05-01-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Spoiler:
Attributing everything that doesn't fit the theory to a character's schizophrenic mind is of course convenient

I think that everything fits the theory; the schizophrenic mind is part of this theory.
The only real difference with Mulholland Drive is that during MD, you feel like you almost understand, while in LH you're lost all the time. But at the end of the day, both obey the same basoc rules.

SCRUGAtes13 05-02-2006 06:13 AM

David Lynch is a great film maker. To be honest i liked Lost Highway, maybe even more so than MD, this is because it's much harder to understand and if you have the mental capacity to deal with it you can relate all sorts of situations and implications and metaphors in the film. everyone says he's insane, but one thing is always lingering in lynch's work: what defines insanity? he tries to portray this argument - i think (do i?) - through elements in his movies, it's the baby in Eraserhead, the guy with the camera in Lost Highway, these things exist, how and why do they do this?

I saw blue velvet not long ago and thought that was a lot more straight-forward than the other D.L. films i've seen, particularly Eraserhead, which is EXTREMELY hard to watch. If you get past the intro that's a gold star for you. plus it's one of the only Lynch films without tits. and you know we love tits.

there are parts of these films that take you on a dark journey to places you've never seen, to experience fear, excitement and so much thought-provocation it hurts. why wouldn't anyone like David Lynch? stick to Walt Disney hippies!

pinkgothic 05-02-2006 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
there are parts of these films that take you on a dark journey to places you've never seen, to experience fear, excitement and so much thought-provocation it hurts. why wouldn't anyone like David Lynch?

Because the films don't do that for me. If they would, I would instantly love them, as those are the exact things I love. I loved Lost Highway, but I have my "problems" with many other Lynch movies, so much so that I've nearly banned BoyToy from dragging me through more Lynch movies.

I haven't seen Eraserhead, though. If you think it's the sort of thing someone who loved Lost Highway to bits might like, then I think I really ought to see it, though. :)

SCRUGAtes13 05-03-2006 03:47 AM

to be honest i can't tell you that you would like it. to be honest i don't think anyone anywhere likes this film, that could very well be one reason why it definitely should be watched ;)

kuze 05-03-2006 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
to be honest i don't think anyone anywhere likes this film, that could very well be one reason why it definitely should be watched ;)

Umm, as far as I know, Eraserhead is a cult movie, so it definitely has its target groups. However, it's hardly comparable to Lost Highway. Even less understandable, b/w, no action or sex scenes at all.