You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
How am I not myself?

Default Opinions

Yeah, I was wrong.

Last edited by Glenn Epic; 04-26-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Banned User

Ok.........
Old 04-26-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Citizen of Bizarro World

I think I know what you mean. Like, when movies manipulate you into sympathizing with villains?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
SamNMax

Yeah, I hear ya...

Old 04-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Epic
The alternate angles presented, foremost, to me by media fill has hindered if not destroyed my sense of definitive opinion; Feeling a sense of comparison to protagonists I'd usually refer to as dregs/other. At any given time a separate group can be knocked or uplifted based on my reflections at the time. Opinionated? Sure, but many of those opinions don't stand for long.
The ability to see both sides of an argument is a very useful skill, however losing sight of what you believe in must be disconcerting.
I have a friend who has the same problem, I'll probe him on the matter and see if he has anything interesting to say that I can share with you.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-27-2006, 12:41 AM   #6
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Hm, well, the original post has mysteriously vanished, so I'm not sure how PC it is to add something to this.

So, uhm. I'll just add my beef and you can ignore it? I guess?

Spoiler:

I don't know to what lengths this is feasible to "teach" oneself, but it's helped me greatly in life - I simply allow myself to understand just about everything. However, there's a fine difference between understanding and tolerating. Just because I might understand, say, in the extreme case, why a terrorist just blew apart ten people doesn't mean I tolerate it.

Alternatively said (to elaborate)... I find it no problem to empathically connect to just about any person. I make my rational decisions on other things, though. T'is why people who are my friends have zilch safety from my moderation if they're subject to it. I'd permanently ban a best friend from a forum if they were acting to deserve it. I wouldn't like them any less, though.

Apparently, that sort of distinction is "freaky", but honestly, it's one of the most useful things I've come across - namely for the dilemma you presented here - and so I'll suggest it and of course continue to live by it.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢

« Woah! | Bah. »