You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat One Question That Will Dictate Your Actions For The Rest Of Your Life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 05:43 AM   #61
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcroManiac
I love that song, it always reminds my of Portugal were I bought my first Led Zeppelin album.
Definitely one of their best.
You're one sick person, buying CDs when our population can't even afford to feed http://www.portugalforbeginners.pt.vu/

Anyways neither are the best of all time, but I'd take Led anytime. Just because hip hop blows. And you know, cause it's LED FREAKIN ZEPPELIN
Old 04-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #62
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
hip hop blows
and that's an understatement!!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:54 AM   #63
Explorer of the uncharted

Quote:
You're one sick person, buying CDs when our population can't even afford to feed http://www.portugalforbeginners.pt.vu/
Well, I was eight at the time, and I'm sure the money I used for the record
helped put some food on a poor familie's plate.
And why are you using your computer ro post this message when you could be donating it to a local school?!!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #64
is not wierd

Quote:
Anyways neither are the best of all time, but I'd take Led anytime. Just because hip hop blows.
Nas isn't hip hop. Hip hop's actually pretty sweet.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #65

I love the whole "rock is the only legitimate and artistic genre to exist over the past 100 years, and everything else either sucks or is a novelty" attitude that a lot of the internet has. If it's not rock, or a rock derivitive, it's not worth talking about.

They'll usually say nice things about "classical" or jazz when cornered, though, and might even own a Miles Davis album!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #66
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Big fan of country and gospel, are you? Is there an enormous poster of Vestal Goodman over your bed?

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #67

Nope. I'm mostly a rock fan.

But I don't pretend other genres aren't as important, and I sure as hell don't write off entire genres based on how far they stray from rock. I honestly think many people judge musical genres on how close to rock they are. I have my preferences, but I don't think they're gospel and that all music should revolve around the ideals of rock.

I also don't think every classic album came from a bunch of white guys in the 70s, with the exception of the Beatles who were a decade earlier.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:21 PM   #68
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Hehe! I was just being snippy, but since you took me seriously...
As a matter of fact, I do have an appreciation for other genres besides rock as well. For example:
Country- The real stuff, mostly from the 50s, 60s, and some of the 70s. If you're not crying in your beer, it ain't real country. Modern country has tried to move too close to Rock, and has wound up sounding like over-produced bad Rockabilly.
Gospel- Much of this genre is sheer dreck but there are some standouts, The Happy Goodmans and The Statler Brothers among them.
Jazz- The early stuff was about fun and spontaneity, but once the highbrows got on the bandwagon it became hopelessly disjointed and needlessly complex. Good music should be something you instantly like, not something for which you must "acquire a taste".

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Jazz- The early stuff was about fun and spontaneity, but once the highbrows got on the bandwagon it became hopelessly disjointed and needlessly complex. Good music should be something you instantly like, not something for which you must "acquire a taste".
I... somewhat agree. I enjoy aloof music as much as any snob, but I don't think it's automatically better. Two different approaches to the same sound, and they both have their place.

Actually, I agree with the rest of your post too.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:05 PM   #70
kamikaze hummingbirds

I'm not all rock, I like GOOD electronic like Orbital but hip hop has never interested me.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:36 AM   #71

Not much of a choice for me. I haven't heard the second album, but if forced I would give it the benefit of the doubt, on the simple grounds that I detest Led Zeppelin. I'm not attacking them or those who like them, it's just my own personal musical taste.

Given free rein to choose for myself, offhand I would suggest The Clash "London Calling," Madness "One Step Beyond," or perhaps PiL "Album" or even Cocteau Twins "Heaven or Las Vegas" if I was in the right sort of mood. That's the thing with music, personal aesthetic is the most important aspect.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:19 AM   #72
Lazy Bee

I haven´t paid this thread much attention so far since I really don´t think there is a greatest album of all time. Of course there´ll be an album that sold the most but I don´t know which one that is.

I enjoy music for many different reasons. I grew up to be a rock chick in the 70th listening to a lot of different rock music: Queen, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Thin Lizzy to mention some of the most important.
At the same time I studied classical piano. I played from the age of 7 to 20 and was only a boyfriend away to study music full time.
I still love listening to both rock and classical music. Opera is fine as well although I do tend to fall asleep for a while in the middle of every opera I go see.
And I absolutely love singing barbershop although I very seldom listen to it at home. There´s a very special feeling standing in the middle of the chorus when all the chords are nailed and the overtones are vibrating above.

The music I like the most always varies with my mood. Right now I prefer silence the most.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #73
is not wierd

Well I'm a big fan of electronica right now.

In general I'm actually very open-minded because I don't care that much about things like convention and guitar riffs and instead go for simply a good sound. As such throughout my life I've gone through these phases in chronological order (relative to my life): alternative, metal (and ICP, blah), classical/opera/baroque, classic rock and jazz, classic pop (such as ELO, New Wave), gangsta rap and early hip hop, and now electronic. In general it seems like once I grew out of liking what's popular at the time I went from old to new. So anyway, I'm fine theoretically with rap and hip hop if they sound good, but a lot of the rap that comes out these days is too much image and not enough music. Same thing with the rock that comes out these days. Electronica still seems to me to be a genre that really is all about the music.

I'm not sure what I would say is the greatest album of all time, though. There are plenty of good ones around.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:39 AM   #74
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

I've never heard of Nas so I'm going to pick Led Zeppelin, not only because I own that album but because it's one of my favorite bands ever.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:43 PM   #75
Freeware Co-ordinator

All time isn't over yet.

Ask me when time ceases what the best of all time is.

In the meantime I'd have to say, does it matter? If you like it then enjoy it and if you don't, don't worry about it.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #76
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
I love the whole "rock is the only legitimate and artistic genre to exist over the past 100 years, and everything else either sucks or is a novelty" attitude that a lot of the internet has. If it's not rock, or a rock derivitive, it's not worth talking about.

They'll usually say nice things about "classical" or jazz when cornered, though, and might even own a Miles Davis album!
Apart from having lots of Crystal Method, Flashbulb, The Prodigy, Soulwax and lots and lots of classic music albums (can't even remember them all :|), you hit the spot! Hearing the same beat from start to end with boring lyrics and no diversity from the beginning to the end of albums just bores me, maybe it's my fault. God knows I tried to give my friends a chance with their music, but sweet heavens it stinks.