Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Getting my first laptop-please give me some ideas (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/14499-getting-my-first-laptop-please-give-me-some-ideas.html)

Dobee 04-22-2006 08:58 AM

Getting my first laptop-please give me some ideas

I'm thinking about it's time to upgrade my "computing" experience. Been using a desktop for 4 years and due to room space, I can't afford to have another desktop and I'm not so sure about just to upgrade which specific component. Given that I think I will get my 1st laptop instead.

I have a few brands in mind: HP, Toshiba, NEC. They use either Intel Pentium M or Intel Core Duo. I wonder if it's worth-while to go for the Intel Core Duo (as a gamer and media lover). Have read the other thread here about P M is based on P3, would it be not-so-fast even though it gives 1.7G -1.86 G of choices (for NEC) ??

My desktop is from HP too...but i recalled it did crash down sometimes ... that makes me hesitate to go for a HP laptop...

one more thing, i don't plan to carry it around with me ... so I plan to get a wide screen for 14" or 15" .......

A side question : besides Intel, does any other brand have Dual Core processor?

jjacob 04-22-2006 09:10 AM

Are you leaning towards a desktop replacement or a more lite-weight & mobile laptop? (because there's a big difference between these two in pretty much all aspects) :)

FranksPlc 04-22-2006 10:01 AM

Get a Compaq lol.

Karmillo 04-22-2006 10:16 AM

Are you looking for something cheap or are you planning on spending Big?

Jayel 04-22-2006 10:44 AM

Just don't get Sony. For the love of god, don't get Sony.

Dobee 04-22-2006 11:36 AM

why sony is bad?

i'm more inclined to get a laptop in this case...since i've not owned one .. (i know it's not a reason at all :P )

My budget is loose...so I'm thinking about those above average ones / average ones......any idea??

Don't fool me, compaq is a lower end of HP :frown:

Karmillo 04-22-2006 11:41 AM

and what do you plan on using it for? gaming?

tabacco 04-22-2006 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobee
why sony is bad?

i'm more inclined to get a laptop in this case...since i've not owned one .. (i know it's not a reason at all :P )

My budget is loose...so I'm thinking about those above average ones / average ones......any idea??

Don't fool me, compaq is a lower end of HP :frown:

If you're not looking to do high-end gaming, I'd suggest the macbook pro actually. You can dual-boot it into windows for gaming (although I wouldn't be expecting 2 million fps in WoW or anything from the gpu it includes), and on the other side you get the stability of osx for businessey tasks.

Karmillo 04-22-2006 12:50 PM

Well for general use you could check out Dell

For gaming theres Alienware or VooDoo

All of these let you customise everything before you buy, so you can decide what graphics card you want or what you want to come with it etc..

Jatsie 04-22-2006 12:57 PM

I wouldn't recommend Dell, I used to have a Dell laptop and it wasn't very reliable. It had to take several trips back to the factory for repairs.
I had a friend who also had a Dell laptop and who too suffered problems.

Karmillo 04-22-2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jat316sob
I wouldn't recommend Dell, I used to have a Dell laptop and it wasn't very reliable. It had to take several trips back to the factory for repairs.
I had a friend who also had a Dell laptop and who too suffered problems.

Actualy yeah...my dell laptip had allot of problems aswell.....

Just stick with Alienware or voodoo then, they are good for both gameing and general use :D

kuze 04-22-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco
If you're not looking to do high-end gaming, I'd suggest the macbook pro actually. You can dual-boot it into windows for gaming (although I wouldn't be expecting 2 million fps in WoW or anything from the gpu it includes), and on the other side you get the stability of osx for businessey tasks.

I second that. A great laptop with the best mobile CPU out there, given the ability to dual-boot it is a nice gaming machine with above-average batterylife. Just make sure (if you go for the Macbook) to purchase the AppleCare protection plan, since the laptops are fairy new and still suffer from a few newborn-deseases.

RLacey 04-22-2006 04:24 PM

Alienware are overpriced. And owned by Dell now.

My recommendation is always to shop around when looking at laptops, but make sure you get some feedback on what customer service is like :).

FranksPlc 04-22-2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
My recommendation is always to shop around when looking at laptops, but make sure you get some feedback on what customer service is like :).

^^^Hp and the lower end Compaq both scored a C on tech support while Dell an F due to long wait times, and Sony blaming microsoft for a fault piece of hardware that wasnt working with Xp. Gateway scored an A.<<Disturbing. But anywho, hp makes reliable machines. Compaq is a lower end, but they're still reliable. No problems with mine what so ever.
later

Karmillo 04-22-2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Alienware are overpriced. And owned by Dell now.

Its only overpriced if you pick the top stuff in everything :P

And just cause its owned by dell doesnt mean its suddenly a dell, still the same people who are making it

SakSquash 04-22-2006 05:01 PM

If you're looking for a gaming system, forget the laptop, get a desktop!

Intrepid Homoludens 04-22-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranksPlc
...hp makes reliable machines. Compaq is a lower end, but they're still reliable. No problems with mine what so ever.
later

I can vouch for that! I have an HP Compaq R4000 and I'm absolutely happy with it. Thing is that HP Pavilion laptops and HP Compaqs have essentially the same inner guts but the outer shell is just different looking, however the Pavilion series costs more (mostly due to prestige).

Dell is overpriced and they got lesser quality guts inside so I'd feel a little ripped off by that. Alienware is way overhyped and pricey, mostly marketed for hardcore gamers who depend too much on bragging rights.

SakSquash 04-22-2006 08:00 PM

Does gateway still exist? They used to make some pretty cool laptops.

BenjaminBunny 04-22-2006 08:01 PM

don't go Dell. I know I never will again.

Spiwak 04-22-2006 08:33 PM

Is Dell really that bad? I've been looking at their XPS series for a little while now.