You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Getting my first laptop-please give me some ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #41
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I've got a link to a podcast that explains this in a few episodes, they're types of encryption, one is broken(WEP). You'll probably want to listen to a number of them, but episode 11 is the one that covers WiFi the most.

http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm#11

Last edited by Aj_; 04-28-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #42
In an evening of July...

To sum the episode up, you ought to use WPA if every client supports it. Also, make sure to use a long key (maximum keylength is 63, but anything above 10 should be pretty save if you use a sequence of random chars).
Old 04-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #43
Lazi

I just can't be sure (it's my 1st time using wireless router at home).......
ok, here are the steps i've done:
- i set up my router at the desktop as instructed to do it with a comp with wired internet turned on during the 1st set up...
-then when i'm done...i'm told to set up security issue if wanted to in the router's website
-here in their site, i have choice to do it WPA / WEP or only WEP
-so i chose WPA as it's more secured from what i've heard: then I set up a key/pw in the long key thing with 60mins time out
-however, i'm never asked for keying the key in after the 1st time using it on my laptop .......
- and my desktop (wired online) never needs to input the PW for my ISP now...

the last two points seem strange to me, it means auto-logon to internet for me now?? and how come i don' thave to re enter the key thing after time-out??

kuze, u said to use long key is for the sake not to let anyone else to guess it (my signals are seen by nearby wireless users?)

there are options for letting the 'thing' to choose random keys too? how does it work??
Old 04-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #44
In an evening of July...

Dobee: As far as I understand you, you have input your ISP information into the router's config. That means, once you have established the connection between the router and your client (be that via WiFi or ethernet) and set up your router as a gateway on your clients, the router will autoconnect each time one of your clients tries to establish an outgoing connection.

Yes, you should use long random WPA keys. Your router's WiFi signal will be seen, but encrypted. The longer the key, the longer a "hacker" will have to be bruteforcing it. To give you an idea, a 6 chars long password (numbers only) will be cracked in a few minutes.

Quote:
there are options for letting the 'thing' to choose random keys too? how does it work??
Just go with PSK (preshared key). You are talking about the router distributing keys, but PSK offers enough protection and is easier to set up.

Last edited by kuze; 04-29-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:37 PM   #45
Lazi

kuze, thanks...
u're right, i was asked to enter ISP info during the set up with the router and i even can see the the ISP info in the router website for setting up security: so it means after setting up the router, my desktop (wired connection by ethernet) can't do the connection with password asked once i turn on the modem and router?? i don't like this no-need to enter pw...any way to change it??

one more thing, i just don't understand the time-out under the WPA setting? why i don't need to re-enter anything after the time-out period, say 60mins?
Old 04-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #46
In an evening of July...

Umm, my guess about the time-out option is that it's the period of network inactivity after that an (automatic) reauthentication is required. But maybe someone more competent than me can answer that question.

You have a router that dials in via your modem and you don't have to reenter you provider's information such as your password each time you connect to the internet. It's a feature, really. Unless you want to log in into your router's web interface to input the password each time you want to browse a forum, I'd suggest you leave it like it is.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:16 AM   #47
Lazi

now i realize a problem, for my desktop, even though the 'lan' connection is connected, it fails to open up a web site in IE..it's like i'm not connected to internet or something, so I log in into my router's web interface (it can connect though) and click 'apply' the basis setting which contains my ISP info....then i can browse the internet...i wonder if i have to do it everytime (to log into routers web) and how may i change it? I wonder if i did something wrong or i need to set up something in the IE? because i've seen the modem and router signal leds are lighted and the lan connection icon in the system tray are shown as connected...i wonder what's wrong
Old 05-01-2006, 07:33 AM   #48
In an evening of July...

Aye, there should be an option in your router's configuration called 'autoconnect on client's request' (or similar). Activate it, and each time your desktop PC requests an outgoing connection the router should dial in automatically.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:46 AM   #49
Lazi

this option is enabled in the router's web setup page....i wonder if it's my IE browser setting problem? because for other programs that requires internet connection, it seems to be fine (e.g. those download programs) ... i mean if i first launch those download programs 1st and then browse net with IE, my IE will go to any website...i.e. i feel it's the download program that activates the auto connection, but why my IE can't activate the same??

and for my laptop, the default wireless connection with my SSID still shows the short-digit key I first used (i later changed my key in the router page to increase the key's digits), i gotta input the long-digit key manually everytime I run my laptop no matter what...it's so annyoying...just hope you understand what i mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze
Aye, there should be an option in your router's configuration called 'autoconnect on client's request' (or similar). Activate it, and each time your desktop PC requests an outgoing connection the router should dial in automatically.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #50
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobee
this option is enabled in the router's web setup page....i wonder if it's my IE browser setting problem? because for other programs that requires internet connection, it seems to be fine (e.g. those download programs) ... i mean if i first launch those download programs 1st and then browse net with IE, my IE will go to any website...i.e. i feel it's the download program that activates the auto connection, but why my IE can't activate the same??
Umm, hard to tell.. there might be an issue with the DNS resolving. What's your DNS server address, your router's IP? Try accessing http://66.249.93.99 without launching these 'programs' first. Anyway, using Firefox or Opera instead of IE is always a good idea. Maybe that'll help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobee
and for my laptop, the default wireless connection with my SSID still shows the short-digit key I first used (i later changed my key in the router page to increase the key's digits), i gotta input the long-digit key manually everytime I run my laptop no matter what...it's so annyoying...just hope you understand what i mean
Are you using the WinXP wireless manager or some tool provided by your notebook's manufacturer? Try deleting and recreating the wireless profile/updating the tool. Had the same issue with the old NETGEAR WiFi client.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:42 AM   #51
Lazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze

Are you using the WinXP wireless manager or some tool provided by your notebook's manufacturer? Try deleting and recreating the wireless profile/updating the tool. Had the same issue with the old NETGEAR WiFi client.
i let winxp to manage it.....i've tried to delete the SSID in the "WIRELESS connection" profile thing and re enter, just no mater how i try, it still shows up the short key next time i check its properties

EDIT: oh, i seem to recall i've seen a txt file named with my old SSID somewhere in my laptop, but i forgot from which folder it's located......it could be the profile that i shall manually delete or edit??

Last edited by Dobee; 05-02-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:39 AM   #52
In an evening of July...

I just noticed that you can't simply delete a network profile in the control panel.
I have to say that I don't own Windows XP, so I can't really help you here. You might want to try removing and readding the 'preferred network' setting in this panel.
If it doesn't help, I would reinstall the drivers in hope that it would reset all settings.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #53
Lazi

today I think the above 2 problems are solved
thanks for kuze's patience

u know what, for the desktop, i just need to follow the correct ORDER like this:
shut down modem, then router, then PC
turn on modem, wait for a min, then turn on router, wait for a min, then turn on PC

then the IE will loan / connect to internet pages without me going into the router's web set up page ....... before i did n't follow the correct sequence when i shut down / boot my PC! just that simple!!

for my laptop, i didn't bother to check my wireless profile, the system tray shows i'm connected to my SSID ok already once xp loads up...however, not sure if it's because i have changed my SSID into broadcast mode or not...gotta switch back to no broadcast (for higher security) and c later

oh, btw, from that link you referred above, that's exactly what i did there in XP, removed the SSID under preferred network and re-adding it with the new long key, however, everytime i go back that tab (preferred network), i still find the re-added SSID uses the old short key, anyway now i don't bother to look at that tab as long as my laptop connects auto