You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
hello

Default Grim Fandango 2

Unofficial news on the new game.

1.) They are making the game 4d

2.) The game will have fighting with special moves... but dont worry, you might be able to avoid it some times...

3.) they realize people dont want their puzzles to be too hard and get in the way of a story, so there will be very few, and the rest will be easy.

4.) they are calling it "The Reaper of Sorrow", so that no one ties it to the first game, so that gamers dont ignore it, because everyone knows adventure games are boring.

Why are they changing the sequel so much and not making another great adventure like the first game was?
Dont you know you are not supposed to like adventure games anymore? you need action people! you need graphics people! you dont need enjoyable adventure titles anymore!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle

Perhaps they should license Godsmack to do the opening theme. That'd really give them the edge they need!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
The Solomon of Sarcasm

This thread made me laugh a lot. It was quite witty.

No, wait. That was George Carlin's "Complaints and Grievances" tour. This was just uninspired complaining.

And 4D? Come on, man...if you're going to mock something, at least do it in a way that makes some kind of sense.

EDIT: The title "Dreamfall: The Longest Journey" is probably going to lead some people to connect it to "The Longest Journey." So you might want to nix comment 4.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson

Last edited by NemelChelovek; 04-18-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvielle
Perhaps they should license Godsmack to do the opening theme. That'd really give them the edge they need!

Good call, although i think they may have snoop dog lined up...
Old 04-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

I think they should post advertisements in magazines and online saying that the developer will make you his biatch...

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 04-18-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
is not wierd

You haven't even played the game yet.

And what's more, even if the game does fail, it's easy in retrospect to say "Oh well you shouldn't have strayed away from the tried-and-true formula, Ragnar! What were you thinking putting in combat and stealth sequences?!" but give the guy credit for at least trying to make an adventure game that closely fit the story he wanted to tell and for trying something not many adventure games would. Give it a rest until you've actually played through the entire game, please.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #7

Don't assume stuff because you read it in a review.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Beleive no-one...
Old 04-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
Citizen of Bizarro World

Grim Fandango already pushed the boundaries of adventure games in many ways, so I don't think its fans would mind if it went the Dreamfall route.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-18-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemelChelovek
This thread made me laugh a lot. It was quite witty.

No, wait. That was George Carlin's "Complaints and Grievances" tour. This was just uninspired complaining.

And 4D? Come on, man...if you're going to mock something, at least do it in a way that makes some kind of sense.

EDIT: The title "Dreamfall: The Longest Journey" is probably going to lead some people to connect it to "The Longest Journey." So you might want to nix comment 4.
Yes someone who knows the first game knows what "the longest journey" is, but the reason it is not called "the longest journey 2" is because they didnt want it to seem like a sequel to newcomers, its one of the oldest tricks in the marketing book...

4d gaming is not impossible, the 4th dimension could be sensory (or any number of things conceived or not)... an idea which has been toyed with in the cinema industry...

Please add some more of your enlightened commentry oh Solomon of Sarcasm...
Old 04-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #11
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
Grim Fandango already pushed the boundaries of adventure games in many ways, so I don't think its fans would mind if it went the Dreamfall route.
pushed the boundaries in what way?
The controls? no... that had been done before by many a game, noteably resident evil...

The graphics... 3d polygon characters on 2d back, again, nope... many games, again, resident evil a prime example.

both of the control technique and the 3d characters were a byproduct of the time.
These were both popular at the time, due to the fact the 3d characters could be rendered easily without taxing graphics cards too much, and they could still have as much detail in the background by leaving it 2d. The benefit of a 3d model is it doesnt need scaling like a 2d sprite, and can be controled via bones, therefore does not need an animation for every new situation, so you are able to move it wherever you want on screen. As i said, using this technique was in no way pushing the boundaries, it was just was was popular at the time of development, and in no way enhanced the gameplay...

The gameplay? the same general gameplay facets as adventure games made in the 80s

Just because the game was fantastic, doesnt mean it pushed the boundaries...

Last edited by Litrick; 04-18-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:12 AM   #12
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick
Just because the game was fantastic, doesnt mean it pushed the boundaries...
It pushed the boudries with the story telling
Old 04-19-2006, 04:00 AM   #13
gin soaked boy

Quote:
1.) They are making the game 4d
So it's going to be a PS3 exclusive then?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #14
kamikaze hummingbirds

what are you all on about?
why is dreamfall getting so much gyp?
there're action scenes, so what? fate of atlantis did and thats regarded as a classic, besides, who says an adventure game cant be good if its got some action scenes in it. BS3 pulled of stealth excellently in my opinion.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #15
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Yes, please just shut up moaning, wait for the demo or buy the game then bitch about it.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #16

^ Seconded.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #17
hello

Yeah me! dont have an opinion, just lap up whatever they market to you!
Old 04-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #18
is not wierd

Are you saying ingesting and regurgitating the opinions of reviewers is preferable? I believe......you still haven't played the game.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Yeah me! dont have an opinion, just lap up whatever they market to you!
You obviously hate anything but 'classic' adventure games, great, what else is knew?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:48 PM   #20
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
You obviously hate anything but 'classic' adventure games, great, what else is knew?
No, i just dont like the direction adventure games are going, they seem to be mutating into action games with a few puzzles. And in doing so, leaving those who enjoy classic adventures (even though i know its a crime to like them, im sure there must be a few of us left) with very few games to play... then again its not like that hasnt been the case for ages anyway (the lack of good adventures that is)