You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #61
is not wierd

This is fast becoming the most pointless thread I've read in a while.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #62
merely human

Well, we could always talk about warthogs.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #63
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
This is fast becoming the most pointless thread I've read in a while.
Then don't read it.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #64
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
They tried. But of course, they are not psychic and can't magically see that the system they implemented may not be the best. I don't think it's so much a lackluster system as it is simply not very good, but naturally they couldn't truly know that until later. And now that the game is out and is being reviewed, they'll be learning from the experience and will either scrap the fighting system altogether or redesign it to be far better for their next game (if that game calls for a fighting system).

And really, this goes for ANY other designers trying something new to THEM. It's a learning process. In this case where Tornquist excels is in storytelling, character, and atmosphere. He's not very good at things like action because he's never done it before, but now he knows what he can improve and we of course expect him to get better at it if he can.

Like I said, it's a business. You gotta make money. But at least with very creative people like Tornquist you can expect a level of quality and artistic substance.
Im not entirely sure you can expect that from him, given we have only seen one game from him before, that doesnt really constitute pedigree.
Yes i agree it is hard to get things exacly right and please everyone. but what i mean is, if it was more than just incorporating the fighting to gain the extra dollars from the other sorts of gamers it would attract, surely they would go to some great lengths to make it work? from what the reviews say, it is simplistic and underdeveloped, hardly characteristics of of something that has been created with loving care...
Old 04-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #65
SamNMax

How embarrassing.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:52 PM   #66
Lovable rogue

or meerkats.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-20-2006, 04:56 PM   #67
merely human

I currently work at the L.A. Zoo (but will quit in 2 weeks to work at the Natural History Museum in the department I much more interested in), and we have meerkats there. They're cute and evil looking, like Siamese cats, but I prefer the cats.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #68
hello

Quote:
I currently work at the L.A. Zoo (but will quit in 2 weeks to work at the Natural History Museum in the department I much more interested in), and we have meerkats there. They're cute and evil looking, like Siamese cats, but I prefer the cats.
Bah, god sold out when he created meerkats... he should have just left "pute cats" alone... who needs this meer business
Old 04-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #69
merely human

Now now, no need to get katty.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #70
hello

Quote:
Now now, no need to get katty.
haha
Old 04-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #71
is not wierd

EDIT: nevermind
Old 04-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #72
DAVE

We've had long discussions between this group of friends, but ultimately we all agree armadillos are better than meerkats in every way conceivable.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #73
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert

We've had long discussions between this group of friends, but ultimately we all agree armadillos are better than meerkats in every way conceivable.
That is one cool animal. Up there with Anteaters
Old 04-20-2006, 10:19 PM   #74
gin soaked boy

And let's not forget this fellow.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #75
merely human

Awwww!! Weird-but-f***ing-cute overload!!
Old 04-21-2006, 12:46 AM   #76
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
And let's not forget this fellow.

Im glad the direction of this thread changed, im tired of complaining unnecessarily about a game i have'nt played
Old 04-21-2006, 01:26 AM   #77
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:

The information board for the meerkats in the Leipzig Zoo reads "Meerkats are born blind and deaf". Apparently that was still the case with the adults in the Zoo, because they wouldn't have noticed if one of the visitors had hit them in the face (not that that was possible).

However, now that they have been moved from their old enclosure beside the Elephants to the new enclosure just across the path from the lions, they seem to have gained a new awarenress for their surroundings.

Also, there's a story that two of the lions in the Leipzig Zoo ate the third lions. I don't remember if it was two females eating the male, or two males eating the female. They didn't have a cause to do so in any case, because the animals are all well treated and fed properly. They had also recently been relocated into their new, better enclosure which gives them possibilites to hide and everything they could wish for (most German Zoos are working on improving the conditions for the animals, and making the enclosures and entire Zoo more beautiful. You should see the "Monkey Island" [It's really called that. "Affen Insel" in german.] in the Leipzig Zoo. You walk in between of the enclosures of the monkeys in a way that makes you feel like *you* are the one being observed by the monkeys.).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:27 AM   #78
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick
Just because one might be of the opinion that it wasnt necessary to "improve" the longest journey 2, by including a crap fighting system, and stealth system. Doesnt mean you are a "die-hard conservative", come on...
That's what I meant to say. Expecting certain level of design integrity within the same series is not die-hard conservatism.

Thanks for taking time to read my rant, though.

I had some more things to add, but as the discussion has moved friendly chat about platypuses, I guess I'll leave them to myself.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:15 AM   #79
Lazy Bee

Jaz
If you ever decide to vacation in Sweden I´ll show you our best Zoo: Kolmården. We live only a 45 min. drive away from it so we visit every now and then. The conditions for the animals are very good IMO. Well, for almost all of them. Just recently a baby gorilla was born there which is really rare. (Only 5-10 gorilla babies a year are born at zoos all over the world as you probably already know.)
Isn´t he cute?
Name:  gorilla.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  16.8 KB
You can check out more here
Old 04-21-2006, 03:43 AM   #80
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Armadillos! The surprising alternative to a Dime Bar™.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.