Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Samurai Champloo (if you hate anime... weellll...) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/14239-samurai-champloo-if-you-hate-anime-weellll.html)

Melanie68 04-07-2006 03:53 PM

Samurai Champloo (if you hate anime... weellll...)

A self indulgent thread:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...i-champloo.jpg

I was never really into anime (and there is plenty that I don't really get into), I found Samurai Champloo on Adult Swim (Cartoon Network) recently and have fallen for it.

It doesn't have the silliness that goes with some anime (weird distortion of faces during action sequences e.g.) and has some gorgeous backgrounds, awesome characters and a very cool story.

Geneon's Samurai Champloo site

Another cool site

It's directed by the guy who did Cowboy Bebop and has a funky, hip hop edge to it (I'm not into hip hop either but I like it in this context).

I haven't seen many of the episodes because it's on a 1:00 am and I shouldn't be staying up that late (although I have at times..).

That's all. :) :) Go check it out.

NcroManiac 04-07-2006 05:15 PM

Watch Berserk! Now! Or better yet, read the manga. Now!

Karmillo 04-07-2006 06:04 PM

What do you mean by the weird distortion of faces during action sequences?

Melanie68 04-07-2006 06:28 PM

Maybe that's not the best description (and it doesn't always bother me).

In searching, I found the term to describe what I'm talking about:

Super deformed emotes or characters.

I'm not as fond of that kind of anime.

Karmillo 04-07-2006 06:51 PM

Oh, I havent seen many Animes do those during action sequences, its usualy used for comedy

Maquisard 04-07-2006 07:11 PM

Cowboy Bebop rocked. I should check this out. :D

SoccerDude28 04-07-2006 10:56 PM

Thanks for the link Melanie. I love anime, so I'll check this one out.

UPtimist 04-08-2006 11:23 AM

What does the "if you hate anime... weellll..." thing mean?

Melanie68 04-08-2006 11:47 AM

It means if you aren't a fan of anime, you probably won't like this thread. :)

Maquisard 04-08-2006 11:52 AM

Au contraire, mon ami! Like you said, the style of anime is a hard to get used to for some Westerners, and fortunately, Cowboy Bebop and this new show bridge the gap quite nicely. Two thumbs up!

UPtimist 04-08-2006 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
It means if you aren't a fan of anime, you probably won't like this thread. :)

Ah, well, I don't have anything against this thread, but I do hate anime... :P

Starflux 04-08-2006 12:47 PM

Shamploo also features the beautiful Dutch language...!

Albeit in a hilarious way. If you're actually Dutch. The intonation is... well, it's definitely voiced by authentic Dutchmen, but it still sound really alien and just wrong :) But that makes it all the more funny.

Melanie68 04-08-2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mares
Au contraire, mon ami! Like you said, the style of anime is a hard to get used to for some Westerners, and fortunately, Cowboy Bebop and this new show bridge the gap quite nicely. Two thumbs up!

Why do you think they bridge the gap? I love the look of some anime (the colors and the way the characters look) but dislike other types of anime (e.g. BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo e.g. which is a little too funky and surreal for me)

Is it the story? For me, if it has a great story that results in me giving a damn about the characters and what happens, the animation style doesn't matter to me. :)

Karmillo 04-08-2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
Why do you think they bridge the gap? I love the look of some anime (the colors and the way the characters look) but dislike other types of anime (e.g. BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo e.g. which is a little too funky and surreal for me)

Is it the story? For me, if it has a great story that results in me giving a damn about the characters and what happens, the animation style doesn't matter to me. :)

I loved Bo-bobo :D havent seen the anime but the manga volume they translated was great! Although some of the crazy Animes are my favorite ones (Like Excel Sage and azumanga etc...)

Melanie68 04-08-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
I loved Bo-bobo :D havent seen the anime but the manga volume they translated was great! Although some of the crazy Animes are my favorite ones (Like Excel Sage and azumanga etc...)

You like 'em crazy and I don't. :P It goes to show you can't lump anime into one big category. There are different styles and something out there can appeal to you. :)

Karmillo 04-08-2006 04:52 PM

And you also cant really judge by most of the Dubs...take One Piece....The Japanese version is amazing but the totaly buggered it up with the translations and the edits....Super soakers and lolie pops :crazy:
and they usualy choose the worst possible voice for each character

Crunchy in milk 04-08-2006 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
they usualy choose the worst possible voice for each character

I hadn't really watched much western animation or anime until recently, and its been a rather odd experience coupled with the rise in 'talkie' computer games. I can't be the only person to notice the same voices popping up everywhere. At least in the english translations.

I used to giggle at the use of some of the voices from the english dub of Shenmue II being used on the tv show Iron Chef, but its getting more and more common and becoming more disturbing. Not just in the Iron Chef but in many animations and games, I guess its the nature of the beast to re-use stablished voices but even everyday celebs are lending their voices to more shows and games lately. It really throws me when I unintentionally begin matching where I've heard 'that voice' before. Imagine if you had to sit through Jim Carey in every single movie.

SoccerDude28 04-08-2006 07:04 PM

I dunno why everytime I read this thread's title, I think the anime's name is Samurai Shampoo.

Melanie68 04-08-2006 07:06 PM

LOL! You're not the only one. :D

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2..._schamploo.jpg

Karmillo 04-08-2006 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
Imagine if you had to sit through Jim Carey in every single movie.

:9~