You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Samurai Champloo (if you hate anime... weellll...)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 05:26 AM   #21
delusions of adequacy

Well I just watched all 26 episodes of this back to back. While I was a little upset to say goodbye to the characters, at the same time it was long overdue (the lack of continuing plot seemed to hamper the show as much as make for fun episodes).

There really isn't any strong narrative to Samurai Champloo (probably part of the reason for the Champloo title). Even the character's continually bring this up. There's definitely some fun episodes (and some utterly bizarre ones towards the end) but I kind of missed the lack of strong threads because nothing really gets tied up in the final episode and the few that do, turn out to be insignificant even to the three main characters (Fuu isn't really all that interested in what got the show started anymore).

Worse, some of the strongest episodes seem to be utterly forgotten unfortunately. The gay assassin never comes back despite his promises, the undercover agent who drives Mugen wild with lust (and proclaims she'll marry him one day) never shows up again, and Fuu never picks either of her two champions despite what occurs in the excellent episodes with the blind shamisen player.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if the Manga gets translated and heals a few of these gaping wounds I'll definitely check out Cowboy Bebop now.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:06 AM   #22
Citizen of Bizarro World

Aw, I haven't seen all the eps yet, but I was hoping I'd get to see some of those characters again.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 04-18-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #23
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

The baseball episode near the end is one of the funniest episodes!

I first watched SC at my anime club a few years ago and loved it immediately! Of course, I'm biased since I'm a huge Bebop fan too.
Twisted history, samurai action with a hip-hop flavour... and that rap theme song, though kinda cool, has a really odd rhythm to it (maybe it's the way the lyrics always carry over to the next line?)
Old 04-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #24
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo
The baseball episode near the end is one of the funniest episodes!
To be honest I skipped through it because I was still excited over the previous story episodes and was hoping for more of the same story arc.

I got the first volume of Cowboy Bebop today. 10 minutes into the first episode and suddenly Joss Whedon's Firefly/Serenity seems much less original At least its nice to have somewhere to go though now that Firefly is no more.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:10 PM   #25
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I tried to like this show since I love Cowboy Bebop (one of the few anime shows I actually enjoy to watch... one of the few I can tolerate watching at all really)... but I couldn't handle it. All the characters were really self absorbed and too cool for school, but unlike Cowboy Bebop, I never really though Champloo earned it. Everyone in Cowboy Bebop was a loveable asshole, but that show oozed quality style and great storytelling like nothing else, so the fact that it had a big ego was really okay - it earned it. Champloo walks the walk, but that's about it.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #26
Super Moderator

Cowboy Bebop is on so sporadically on Adult Swim (and on late) that I've only seen a couple of episodes. I Netflixed it. It'll be interesting to see how I like that one.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #27
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I'd really like to check this show out, because I loved Cowboy Bebob series and the movie.

But I fear that I'll have about the same opinion as Jake has about Samurai Champloo.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.