Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Town for sale (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/14173-town-sale.html)

Lucien21 04-04-2006 11:42 AM

Town for sale

Ho do you fancy buying your own little California town.

82 Acres of land, 8 houses, 3 cows and a post office.

Ok 8 houses isn't exactly a town but beggars cant be choosers.

All yours for $1.75million :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4875206.stm

More importantly what kind of new rules would you bring in when you were mad with all the power of owning a whole town.

Muuuuuuhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa

RLacey 04-04-2006 11:44 AM

Is this the one situated on a flood plain? I think that Graham Norton once almost bought it the last time it was on sale as part of his So Graham Norton series for Channel 4. They had a phone line, and were asking viewers to pledge £1 each so that they could buy it.

Melanie68 04-04-2006 11:46 AM

You get cows. :) At least you wouldn't go hungry. :D

Rules, rules... hmmmm, I'll have to think on that one. :devil:

Karmillo 04-04-2006 11:52 AM

Wow cows and a post office? Think of the possibilities!

If that place is still for sale when I make it big then its mine :D

Toefur 04-04-2006 04:53 PM

The possibilities indeed...

By the time I was done with it, this town would boast a staggering 11 houses, four cows, one goat, and an annoying bearded hobo.

Hm. Could be a good setting for an adventure game...

jjacob 04-04-2006 05:06 PM

Hmmm, that or a medievil Scottish castle for 100 grand? Then I could renovate it for the better part of 2 million and make it my evil lair! :D

Dangerzone 04-04-2006 05:16 PM

i found the sale page on ebay............funny stuff

even more funny is that i live in a town called bridgeville..........bridgeville, Pennsylvania

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bridgeville-Cali...QQcmdZViewItem

artwking4 04-04-2006 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21
Ho do you fancy buying your own little California town.

82 Acres of land, 8 houses, 3 cows and a post office.

Ok 8 houses isn't exactly a town but beggars cant be choosers.

All yours for $1.75million :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4875206.stm

More importantly what kind of new rules would you bring in when you were mad with all the power of owning a whole town.

Muuuuuuhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa

Sounds like the next Molyneux game.

BenjaminBunny 04-04-2006 06:08 PM

maybe I should just bid on it and see what happens....:devil: .

Melanie68 04-19-2006 06:18 PM

No one has bid yet. :frown:

seebaruk 04-20-2006 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Is this the one situated on a flood plain? I think that Graham Norton once almost bought it the last time it was on sale as part of his So Graham Norton series for Channel 4. They had a phone line, and were asking viewers to pledge £1 each so that they could buy it.

The problem with that is he would need about a million viewers. And what remains of my faith in humanity says that surely there aren't a million muppets who'd actually watch that b**locks.

$1.75 million seems really cheap for an entire town, even if it is quite a small one. Considering a garage in London would probably cost half of that. With no cows inside. It's all about location eh?

jjacob 04-20-2006 01:22 AM

Well, obviously, who'd pay that much for such a dump :D
http://i21.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/ba/e9/9e_1.JPG

I stand with my previous alternative: 100 grand scottish castle + a lot of costly renovating :9~

RLacey 04-20-2006 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seebaruk
The problem with that is he would need about a million viewers. And what remains of my faith in humanity says that surely there aren't a million muppets who'd actually watch that b**locks.

$1.75 million seems really cheap for an entire town, even if it is quite a small one. Considering a garage in London would probably cost half of that. With no cows inside. It's all about location eh?

Actually, I think they actually got most of the money that they would have needed ;).

insane_cobra 04-20-2006 02:05 AM

I bet you could get this one for less.

seebaruk 04-20-2006 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Actually, I think they actually got most of the money that they would have needed ;).

That'll be the sad losers who have too much money to piss away and are delighted whenever the talentless mincing slack jawed twat says "poo poo". The audience seems to consist solely of middle aged women with the combined IQ of a dead pigeon. I had to sit through a whole episode once, I wanted to stab myself in the ears and eyes with sharp forks so I didn't have to put up with any more of his w*nk.

Anyhoo, that's getting off topic ;) What would you do if you bought this place? I'd pronounce myself King, and have a statue of myself erected in the centre of town, which all residents must dance around naked at midnight. The power, bwahahahahaha!

jjacob 04-20-2006 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insane_cobra

Makes me want to see Silent Hill :P

RLacey 04-20-2006 02:39 AM

Sounds... intriguing.

Jatsie 04-20-2006 02:42 AM

Quote:

What would you do if you bought this place?

I'd set up a cult, enslave the existing population, and turn Bridgeville into the new Waco. :devil:

Jazhara7 04-20-2006 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insane_cobra

That's a sad story. I know that underground fires happened in the Grube Messel (The Messel Pit. It's an UNESCO World Heritage site), when the bituminous shale that used to be mined there burned quietly (Though the flooding from all the rain was a much higher priority, the last time I was in the Messel pit). . That alone is bad enough, because the Messel Pit is a source of dozens of unique Fossils (one of them is the famous prehistoric horse, whose official name is "Hyracotherium". But it has been named double, just like Brontosaurus [that's not his official name either]. The official name is boring and not really pretty: Hyracotherium" means "Mole Beast". But the inofficial name is beautiful: "Eohippus" - "Pferd der Morgenröte"/"Horse of Dawn"/"Horse of the Morning Red"/"Dawn Horse". Pity that it was found it already had the other name.), which often have soft parts preserved as well as the usual hard body parts (even beetle wings and the original colours and shine of some beetles chitinous shell are preserved. It's amazing, really.). I myself own a plastic cast (since the fossils from the Messel Pit are wet fossils, they have to be treated immediately in order for them to last. They even found a way of preserving the colours on the casts these days. In the past they were just able to preserve the shape, sadly.) of a huge fish (the fish is a bit longer than my keyboard. It's name is Lepisosteus and it is from the middle Eocene. That family of fish still exists these days. They are called "Gar", I think.), and you can see every single scale and some of the fins (the fish is a bit shattered especially in the head, after all it was buried under quite a bit of earth for some 50,000,000 years.). But all together it is amazingly well preserved. It's all still linked, for one.

But in the case of Centralia, there were peoples' lives involved, so it's a much bigger tragedy.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Melanie68 04-20-2006 03:09 AM

Quote:

What would you do if you bought this place?

I wish I could win the lottery because I'd buy it!

It's in Northern California which is gorgeous! If you've looked at the picture gallery on the ebay site, you'll see the beautiful views.

A main house for me and my animals. Turn the cafe building into a coffee/tea house. Renovate and rent out the cabins for vacationers.

Open up a little grocery store in one of the other buildings. I'd use one of the bigger buildings and open a used book store. I would also put my inventory online because you probably wouldn't get a lot of traffic. My profession is pretty flexible in that I could do contract work from home.

That would be an incredibally sweet set up. Quiet, peaceful. :) :)

Edit: Also with the cows, you could have fresh milk and make your own cheese.