Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Distance from Fuan City to Hong Kong (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/14154-distance-fuan-city-hong-kong.html)

Glenn Epic 04-03-2006 06:23 AM

Distance from Fuan City to Hong Kong

I've been offered a job as an ESL teacher in Fuan City (Fujian Province, China), and have been told that it's not far from Hong Kong. I've searched all over the net but I can't seem to find an exact figure denoting the distance between the two. I know I've probably overlooked a million and one options for finding the distance so I figured I should drop a post regarding the matter in the hope that one of you would know, or at least know a means to find out.

UPtimist 04-03-2006 07:31 AM

Hmm... Must be quite a small place. I tried lots of stuff but didn't find it either...

Crunchy in milk 04-03-2006 07:55 AM

According to the world clock here the capitol of Fujian province (Fuzhou/Foochow) is 650km north east of Hong Kong. If you have a look at an atlas or here you can see that Fuan is another 150km north east of Fuzhou.

http://www.paulnoll.com/China/Provin...Fujian-map.jpg

Fuan is well known for people smuggling, apparently.

UPtimist 04-03-2006 08:05 AM

You found it!

That's just the direction I looked the least.

And if you go there, I hope you don't get smuggled!

Maquisard 04-03-2006 09:47 AM

One thing you should know about China is, they use crouch toilets!

http://www.tcp-ip.or.jp/~ainuzuka/ni...oupc/H05JN.jpg

^ And much nastier than that one, 'cause that one's from Japan!

The reason I mention this is because my country's public bathrooms (meaning, not those that are in privately owned establishments), are still mostly like that. You can imagine my aversion to the filthy things, when I say that I've never used one (because as a rule, people who crouch, don't flush), except for the kind of function you can perform standing up.

Intrepid Homoludens 04-03-2006 09:55 AM

Eiw. My sister has her funny stories about the toilets in Turkey.

Good luck on the endeavor, Glenn.

Jelena 04-03-2006 09:57 AM

I saw toilets like that on the Moscow central train station. They were.....not clean......

UPtimist 04-03-2006 10:09 AM

:(

Starflux 04-03-2006 10:19 AM

Public toilets can be hellish, but if you're in a boiling hot car on the way to France, you have to drink now and then.

Good luck on your adventure, Glenn! It's quite exciting. Don't forget to occasionally post some cool video in the old Epic style!

Jazhara7 04-03-2006 10:36 AM

I actually used a public crouch toilet while I was in China, you know...

Yeah, I've seen true terror, now nothing will scare me ever again.

"Boo!"

*jumps* Wah!

"So much about that."

Okay, so I can still be scared.

"Apparently, yes."

Anyway, back on topic. Fact is, crouch toilets are actually more hygenic than sitting toilets (clean is another story. But then again, how many public sitting toilets do you know that are really clean?). It's important you put a layer of toilet paper in the toilet before urinating (or was it the other kind of business? Let's say for both, just to be on the safe side.), to prevent the contents of the toilet splashing at you (there's actually water in there, yes. Only a little though).

I've survived it, as you can see.

"Or maybe you're just a ghost, cursed to haunt these forums forever."

Maybe I am. We may never know.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Intrepid Homoludens 04-03-2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I actually used a public crouch toilet while I was in China, you know...

:crazy: AAAACCH!! T.M.I.!!

Maquisard 04-03-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7
It's important you put a layer of toilet paper in the toilet before urinating, to prevent the contents of the toilet splashing at you (there's actually water in there, yes. Only a little though).

Hehe, dont you wish you could urinate standing up? There's proof of penis-envy there--Freud was right all-along! :D (except for the mom thing). :shifty:

Jazhara7 04-03-2006 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mares
Hehe, dont you wish you could urinate standing up? There's proof of penis-envy there--Freud was right all-along! :D (except for the mom thing). :shifty:

Well, I was standing above the toilet, so I guess I can urinate standing up.

But yeah, you guys are at an advantage in that case.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Glenn Epic 04-03-2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
According to the world clock here the capitol of Fujian province (Fuzhou/Foochow) is 650km north east of Hong Kong. If you have a look at an atlas or here you can see that Fuan is another 150km north east of Fuzhou.

http://www.paulnoll.com/China/Provin...Fujian-map.jpg

Fuan is well known for people smuggling, apparently.

Thanks. That sounds like it's a long way off from Hong Kong. I don't particularly like the part about the people smuggling. Maybe I should accept a different job (Still in China, just in a different location).

SCRUGAtes13 04-04-2006 03:58 AM

whoa, whoa hold up one sec... you got offered a.. JOB? In CHINA?! But your the same age as me, you can't be a success, i damn well won't allow that kinda thing to happen, i just won't.

:shifty:

Jelena 04-04-2006 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Epic
I've been offered a job as an ESL teacher in Fuan City (Fujian Province, China

I´m getting curious what ESL means. Perhaps since I´m a teacher as well, my attention and eyes are drawn to everything concerning teaching.

Jatsie 04-04-2006 04:24 AM

I'm only guessing, but it might mean "English as a second language"

Dobee 04-04-2006 04:55 AM

the salary in China is very cheap (at least cheaper than your home town I assume)...can you afford that? though i'm not sure about foreigners working there

Toefur 04-04-2006 06:21 AM

Hey Glenn - been offered any jobs anywhere else? Or have you been trying many other places?

And what has this offer consisted of? How long for? What kind of pay? What kind of bonuses? (Internet? Bike? LEssons?) Just curious, you know. :)

Glenn Epic 04-04-2006 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LenaJ
I´m getting curious what ESL means. Perhaps since I’m a teacher as well, my attention and eyes are drawn to everything concerning teaching.

It means "English as a Second Language" as Jat316sob pointed out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobee
the salary in China is very cheap (at least cheaper than your home town I assume)...can you afford that? though I’m not sure about foreigners working there

You're right, the salaries are thin but, as an ESL teacher, I will be earning somewhere around 6 or 7 times the average wage. I should be able to live fairly comfortably. I'm not making the move for monetary purposes. It's more the experience that I'm after.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toefur
Hey Glenn - been offered any jobs anywhere else? Or have you been trying many other places?

And what has this offer consisted of? How long for? What kind of pay? What kind of bonuses? (Internet? Bike? Lessons?) Just curious, you know. :)

I have tried a few other places, most notably Japan. The problem with Japan is that jobs are much harder to secure and also that a Bachelor's Degree is necessary.

I'm still tossing up between a few different offers, some of which pay 7000RMB (Good pay in China). All the job offers I have received include free accommodation (Including furniture, TV, DVD player, internet, air-conditioner, etc). Some jobs boast free Mandarin lessons and offer bicycles. I've asked the school Rep. to send me some photos of school and the town surrounding it. I'll post them once I've received them. I'm currently in the process of making sure that all my bases are covered.