You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #21
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Great pics seeb. I think the friggin' big hill is where I climbed up at dusk to get my night shot over the Danube. If you thought it was hard going in daylight, you should try getting back down after it's gone dark. You may have seen electric lanterns on the way up, but guess what.... they don't actually work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
As for vampires, I didn't see any sadly, but I did see this cool guy, he's called 'Anonymous', and he's got the freakiest eyes ever (which you sadly can't see in the pic)

Attachment 799
Did you rub his, er, pen?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:13 PM   #22
Fire Dragon/Pisces

Lena,

thanks for the quick review; I read the 1st 4 books of the Chronicles series by Anne Rice, these weigh several kilograms on my shelf (LOL) so I think I might just look into the Historian as well. I'm more inclined towards Masquarade than anything else related to the genre, though naturally Stoker is the high king. Among older classics, my favourite was Stephen King's Salem's lot.
As for me, the lack of action is not necessarily a bad thing. Movies or books can never give me the kick/adrenaline rush a good FPS LAN party or a paintball match can; but then again there is no basis of comparison between these.

Last edited by Jolaes; 03-28-2006 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #23
Citizen of Bizarro World

I'm jealous now. I wish I had discovered "culture" when I was 15. Sadly (it turns out), I can say that getting drunk like an assclown in Budapest was the height of my experience there. To be fair, I was a little bit into culture, 'cause I remember, as if through a haze, that I really appreciated the architecture.

edit: I decided to rate the Budapest experiences.

2nd place, I guess (not really! ), would be getting services offered, but not rendered, by a hooker. Two of them, actually. (Real live hookers!). They sit around the sidewalk in broad daylight, which I'd say is bad for business, 'cause they sure was ugly! I was with my cousin, also from Serbia. Seeing we were foreigners, they started talking in English: "You want Sex? Sex!" My cousin just sorta stood there, confused. I smiled at him, and said "Kurve", which means "hookers" in Serbian, and I guess they understood, 'cause they were like "Ya, Ya!" Hilarious!

And on the opposite side of the spectrum, as the worst (or rather weirdest) experience in Budapest, I'd place getting my wiener touched by a male doctor. That was slightly awkward...

Erm, let me give you a bit of a backstory to that last one. This was during the bombing of Serbia, and we were in Hungary applying for a U.S. visa (in order to emigrate), because you couldn't get one in Belgrade after the war started and the U.S. cut off diplomatic relations and closed down the embassy. Anyway, to get the visa, we needed to go through a medical exam, which was more than I expected.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 03-27-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #24
Citizen of Bizarro World

Lena, for clarification about Jolaes's Vampire movie:

It was an alright flick. They teased us with some Kate flesh, but didn't deliver, so I'd say that was a huge disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolaes
Lena,

JFYI, I have been chukling thru almost all 100 minutes of Underworld: Evolution... The guards talking, radio chatter, newcasts etc... were spoken in SOOOO BAAAD Hungarian - I dunno who dubbed that but was awfully wrooong, with ridicolous accents and wrong stresses on certain syllables. Jeeez I had fun watching the movie "double time"...!
You should hear the rubbish "Serbian" they speak in some Hollywood productions.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 03-27-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:49 PM   #25
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Cheers guys, have a couple of me...
And they're excellent, as expected.
Quote:
...including one of me wearing a jewish skullcap in the synagogue, you ain't seeing that one though!
Those are called "yarmulkes". Unless you wore an embroidered one, I wouldn't have thought we'd be able to see it against your dark hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
And on the opposite side of the spectrum, as the worst (or rather weirdest) experience in Budapest, I'd place getting my wiener touched by a male doctor. That was slightly awkward...

Erm, let me give you a bit of a backstory to that last one. This was during the bombing of Serbia, and we were in Hungary applying for a U.S. visa (in order to emigrate), because you couldn't get one in Belgrade after the war started and the U.S. cut off diplomatic relations and closed down the embassy. Anyway, to get the visa, we needed to go through a medical exam, which was more than I expected.
Wow, that was a rather thorough medical exam just to get a visa! Listening to your chest and looking in your ears and throat weren't enough, huh?

Share the love.

<3
Old 03-28-2006, 01:13 AM   #26
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Great pics seeb. I think the friggin' big hill is where I climbed up at dusk to get my night shot over the Danube. If you thought it was hard going in daylight, you should try getting back down after it's gone dark. You may have seen electric lanterns on the way up, but guess what.... they don't actually work.
Jeez, you're a brave man for attempting that! I almost tripped and fell over the edge of the path a few times in broad daylight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Did you rub his, er, pen?
'No Comment'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Those are called "yarmulkes". Unless you wore an embroidered one, I wouldn't have thought we'd be able to see it against your dark hair.
It is quite difficult to see, despite the extreme close up on my head! I've got a stoopid grin in it like usual, I always look kinda maniacal in photos for some reason.

I can understand getting drunk in Budapest, it'd be good for a lads holiday cos the beers pretty cheap and well strong (About £1.50 for a bottle of 7% beer). And there are indeed prossies quite openly advertising themselves in the streets, we saw a couple talking fluent Japanese so they must be educated prossies at least!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 03-28-2006, 09:23 AM   #27
Fire Dragon/Pisces

on that visa story:

I can clearly recall the humiliating, rude searches at Heathrow before we joined the EU zone. I NEVER smuggled anything... what on earth they always found suspicious, I'll never know.
I hear the Yanks still do that esp. since 11.09.2001...
It seems it is just the way of the world - the more you travel, the wider your anus must become
(I just missed that part by the skin of my teeth... huhh)
so I know exactly how you felt, Mares.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #28
merely human

Quote:
Cheers guys, have a couple of me, including one of me wearing a jewish skullcap in the synagogue, you ain't seeing that one though! Here's one of me with some poet guy I became best friends with.
F*** the poet, I want the guy standing next to him!

Quote:
As for vampires, I didn't see any sadly, but I did see this cool guy, he's called 'Anonymous', and he's got the freakiest eyes ever (which you sadly can't see in the pic)
OMG! It's Kenny from South Park!!

Glad you had fun terrorizing that town, love. They never knew wot hit 'em!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-11-2006, 02:28 AM   #29
Chris Barraclough

Hehe, it's funny, I thought the guy was Kenny too, til I saw his evil piercing eyes of doom. Of dooooooom!

Man I need another holiday, work is just too depressing....

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk