You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2006, 06:53 AM   #61
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
But Picard rocks! He quotes Shakespeare! He drinks tea! He's principled! He has the greatest haircut imaginable (until he lost what little was left)!

As for the Enterprise song: which version? I really didn't like what they did to it around Season 3 in an attempt to revamp.

As for Voyager, I liked it. But I think they overused the Borg. I know that they were in the Delta quadrant, but it felt like the Borg were involved in about half the episodes of later seasons .
So? I quote Shakespeare too! And I quote Goethe and others! Okay, the fact that he drinks tea might be the only hope for his redemption in my eyes. The haircut is okay I guess. But he's a bit *too* principled. Kirk broke rules! He was fun! Can you imagine Picard screaming "KHAAAAAAN!!!" and doing a good job at it? Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to copy Kirk, but he could loosen up a bit. One of his ancestors must have always played a Paladin in RPGs, for he seems to have inherited the mandatory Stick-In-The-Colon.

Actually, I think it was one particular movie where I *really* disliked him. I can't remember which one it was, and that impression stuck. However, I liked the scene in that one movie where the Borg are on the ship, and he shoots them with the machine gun from the Holodeck (because the forceshield can't adjust to bullets). That scene was great.

The original version, I think. Also, the intro that goes with it is awesome.

And the Borg were kind of omni-present in Voyager, what with Seven-of-Nine and those Borg-Kids (I don't remember how long they stayed actually) around most of the time.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-17-2006, 07:07 AM   #62
Chris Barraclough

I had a dream last night that I was walking up a huge staircase that was covered in shit. I wonder what an interpreter would have to say about that.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 03-17-2006, 07:16 AM   #63
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Actually, I think it was one particular movie where I *really* disliked him. I can't remember which one it was, and that impression stuck. However, I liked the scene in that one movie where the Borg are on the ship, and he shoots them with the machine gun from the Holodeck (because the forceshield can't adjust to bullets). That scene was great.
That's First Contact.

Anyway, I suppose you're right; for a film that manages to combine Shakespeare, Kirk and quite possibly the best Star Trek plot ever The Undiscovered Country actually comes out top.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:17 AM   #64
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
I had a dream last night that I was walking up a huge staircase that was covered in shit. I wonder what an interpreter would have to say about that.
That you like to get your hands dirty in whatever jobs you get up to? That you're used to trampling on everyone else?

That you have a dirty mind?

Old 03-17-2006, 07:28 AM   #65
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
That you have a dirty mind?
If I have a dirty mind then why didn't I dream about shagging instead of standing in lots of cack?

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 03-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #66
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
If not, couldn't I pose thesame question you asked;
Quote:
how to distinguish between being aware that you dream and dreaming of being aware that you dream?
Yeah, you could, and that's exactly my point: that there is no way to tell the difference from inside the dream. I'm not arguing that lucid dreaming is impossible, just that unless objective science supports this idea more, it really comes down to a personal belief. So whenever someone claims he can control his dreams, my sceptic alert goes off. I mean, he felt he could do anything so it must have been true? By that logic, I would have to accept everything a schizophreniac believes.
Quote:
And this isn't about ontology or metaphysics, a lucid dream is not more real than a regular dream, even though it appears to be more vivid.
Maybe I used the word "ontology" too hastily. I did not want to imply that you say lucid dreams themselves are more real. But, if I get it right, you (that's plural "you" referring to lucid dream believers) sustain that the control is more real, the dreaming person's choice - more conscious, than in a regular dream. And that's something that could just as well be another illusion produced by your brain, just like a literary character "aware" of being in the book still does exactly what the writer made him do.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Yeah, you could, and that's exactly my point: that there is no way to tell the difference from inside the dream. I'm not arguing that lucid dreaming is impossible, just that unless objective science supports this idea more, it really comes down to a personal belief. So whenever someone claims he can control his dreams, my sceptic alert goes off. I mean, he felt he could do anything so it must have been true? By that logic, I would have to accept everything a schizophreniac believes.
Well I figure it *does* really come down to personal belief I believe you had lucid dreams, when you say you were aware that you were dreaming (and as you said, used that knowledge to your advantage, I'm assuming you meant taking control of the dream). You've had two of these kinds of dreams, and you apparently do distinguish them from your other dreams It doesn't really matter what you or I believe or even call it - it was notably different from other dreams in that you were conciously dreaming (lucid is perhaps the wrong term, concious dreaming is more accurate) versus being on a fixed rollercoaster ride, so to speak. I'm a very sceptic person as well, so I thought this was all just some new age crap when I heard about it from my friend. But imagine experiencing it as I did; hearing about it, trying it, experiencing it and vividly remembering it. Wouldn't you be convinced you manually induced it, and that it was in fact a lucid/concious dream? It was so radically different from other dreams, so much less random and more 'controlled' - I could just 'transport' from location to location etc. It really stands out as one of my more memorable dreams (as opposed to the more 'mundane' ones you tend to forget). I suppose there's no way of proving scientifically that I was in fact in control of the dream instead of merely dreaming I was in control, but for me that's just semantics, and doesn't really matter that much. From what I've read, it's been 'proven' by REM-sleep eye movement patterns, the monitoring of brainwave patterns etc. but I think mankind knows relatively too little about the brain to present definitive scientific proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Maybe I used the word "ontology" too hastily. I did not want to imply that you say lucid dreams themselves are more real. But, if I get it right, you (that's plural "you" referring to lucid dream believers) sustain that the control is more real, the dreaming person's choice - more conscious, than in a regular dream. And that's something that could just as well be another illusion produced by your brain, just like a literary character "aware" of being in the book still does exactly what the writer made him do.
I (or we, counting Jaz and Silvsie etc.) wasn't/weren't just saying the control felt more real, I was implying it was more than just control over yourself an your actions in your dream, it goes wayyyy farther than just that. Imagine having full control over your imagination in your dream, where everything is possible and nothing seems implausible. It's not just choice over your actions, it's near total control over the dream; locations, people, things, events etc. suddenly it's all before your very eyes with a single thought. Ofcourse one could argue that even this is still just a normal dream, perhaps just an extraordinary one, well, as I said, that is semantic, and very hard to counter because I can't just turn up with a link to some scientific research or a recording of my lucid and non-lucid dreams. I suppose you'd have to try inducing one and judging for yourself afterwards. Scientists until recently dismissed the possibility of one's brain "speeding up" during (for example) car accidents, where everything seemed to be happening in slow-motion and every detail, however small, was noticable. Since it has been proven in tests, where a person would wear a screen with LEDs flickering two numbers at imperceptible speeds; that person would be put in a 90-feet free-fall into a net and afterwards he would accurately name the two numbers on the screen, proving our perception fo time does slow down in adrenaline-rushing moments. And even that is so much more easy to prove scientifically than lucid dreams, as it's something that can be measured, unlike dreams and much less the contents of them.

Don't get me wrong, I like your analogy, and we could even move on to using Plato's shadow-cave allegory, but it wouldn't get us much further, as it's just so damn subjective and inmeasurable. I totally understand your scepticism though, hell I wasn't even sure of it myself the morning after, but my friend reassured me it fit the desciption of a lucid dream to the letter. Ofcourse all these new-age pseudo-scientific books on the subject don't help, but seriously, there are things (especially in our cerebral area) that science possibly may never be able to fully comprehend, even in thousands of years (however unlikely that may seem; our brains are made up of tens of billions of connections, a cluster of a cluster of a cluster of supercomputers wouldn't even begin to approach our brain's capabilities). I mean, I already have difficulty with the fact that there are more connections in my brain than stars in the galaxy. Perhaps though, one day (in a galaxy far far away ), man will have fully explained the brain and all its marvels.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #68
How am I not myself?

This dream is a little bit sporadic. It began like this: I had just obtained a job at Subway. It was my first day; after which I decided to drive my car around the parking lot and admire all the excellent cars. Suddenly an overbearing alarm sounded and I was swiftly informed there was a "lock-down" set in motion. Security guards armed with electronic, handheld, fingerprint scanners scanned me to make sure of my identity and then ushered me down a tunnel. I distinctly remember that it took me 14 tries to have my fingers placed in exactly the right position before the scanner actually worked. Anyway through the tunnel I went. Emerging from the darkness I wandered into a moderately sized front-yard. There were many others who, just like me, looked fairly unimpressed with the turn of events. It was pretty obvious that everyone was secretly looking for a way out. Suddenly a group of trainers busted out of the house and began giving us a run-down on different methods to increase efficiency. After this, they pushed and shoved us onto a train and told us that we were going on a training camp.

I sat next to a beautiful girl and we soon started talking about our interests, etc. After a long, long train ride we stopped in the forest. I hopped out of the train with my new friend and we walked over to where the trainers were congregating, which just happened to be in front of a huge cliff. Suddenly a guy with cuts and bruises jumped out of a bush and started yelling at us to get out while we still can. He then turned and hurdled himself off the cliff. A second group of trainers emerged from the scrub, these ones armed with all sorts of weapons. A rocket launcher was fired from across the other side of the cliff and we all ducked and ran back to the train. With everyone aboard, including the new gun-totting trainers, the train departed. I made multitudes of escape-runs, none of which work. I also got the impression that most of the girls didn't like me. I also became paranoid that my new best friend didn't really like me either.

The armed trainers took us to a house, in which we were guarded 24/7. After a few hours of being watched over I informed one of the trainers that I needed to use the toilet and opened a nearby door to find a room completely filled with water. Realizing this was my only chance at freedom I closed the door and swam up to the ceiling to find a window. I opened the window and pried away the protective fly screen (The waterline fell just below the window). A man entered the room and raised his gun toward me. I became aware that there was no water and I fell back down to the ground and winced around on the ground in pain for a while. Then they started handing us all weapons and telling us we had to fight. A semi came down the street and loading things onto the train. Then we left... I woke up.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #69

I dreamt something this morning again:

"Knife-Throwing Flesh-Eating Zombies, Is there anything that can't be solved with them? They're one of the things that make coming to work worthwhile!" says Raini Cortala the (apparently mad) scientist. The lab is on stilts (the outside appearance of the building reminds me of my school. White walls, flat roof, with some sun yellow and dark blue in some parts of the window frames and doors.), and the door is reached by a thin walkway made of pipes parallel to the wall. There are less and less pipes as you get to the wall. Cortala has only one arm (the right one), and thus trouble to unlock the door with the key. He asks me to open it instead. I unlock the door, open it, and he nimbly climbs into the room. "Wait, I'll have to turn on the lasers. I'll be right back."

I try to climb in, but am approached by the Zombies. Raini is taking his time to turn on the lasers, and soon I am hanging on the single pipe of the walkway by the door.

Then my dream ends. There was more, but I forgot to write it down on time. I wanted to write it down, but then waited one second too long, I guess. I blame myself for dawdling, because I think the rest of the dream was familiar.

-

Old 06-04-2006, 07:32 AM   #70
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

my dream had cars...I was in some crappy car game that had bad controls.
Also at some point I guzzled down a can of cider in my dream and I woke up with a hang over
Old 06-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #71

I just remembered that there was also snow in my dream. As high as the car roofs. But around the lab, it was grey winter weather, without snow.

Oh, and though I was dangling by the walkway, I could have just stepped down onto the hilltop. But for some reason I thought I should not do that.

-

Old 06-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #72
Lazy Bee

I have these short, vivid dreams that make no sense at all. Last night I dreamt that I and two of my friends (whos names rhymes, that was important for some reason) walked around on Manhattan with a map, looking for Rodeo Drive and Hollywood Boulevard.
Do you think it means anything?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #73
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Perhaps that you have an idealized impression of the US and that the gritty reality won't measure up to your preconceptions?

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
I have these short, vivid dreams that make no sense at all. Last night I dreamt that I and two of my friends (whos names rhymes, that was important for some reason) walked around on Manhattan with a map, looking for Rodeo Drive and Hollywood Boulevard.
Do you think it means anything?

That the map merchant ripped you off?

By the way, I just noticed that my dreams seem to both include a knife in a prominent role. I wonder if *THAT* means something.

-

Old 06-06-2006, 08:27 AM   #75
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

That you're actually some kind of knife-wielding maniac?

Old 06-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #76
Lovable rogue

You think you're Macbeth?

Is this a dagger I see before me?

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-06-2006, 08:33 AM   #77
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Maybe she just likes steak?

Old 06-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #78
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I want to know how I can wake up with a hangover after dreamming of getting drunk...seriously is there some sort of medical explination or something?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #79
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

"The mind makes it real."

Heh, I have no idea.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #80
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I want to know how I can wake up with a hangover after dreamming of getting drunk...seriously is there some sort of medical explination or something?
It was probably just a headache after sleeping too much. Let me guess: You didn't get up until noon