You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #21
all loved up

I tend to have very odd dreams alot, usually quite freaky in the sense that someone's trying to hurt me... I'd like to master lucid dreaming so I don't get these dreams, but I've never been able, even when I realise I'm dreaming, to change the events.
I had the most bizzare, disturbing dream last week, but I'm not sure how to explain it.. Basically, someone, unknown and unseen, was threatening to kill me unless I complied with him... Then everything went black.. That was probably the most frightening dream I've ever had, mainly because it was so vivid. When I was younger, I dreamt that I was on an escalator in a shopping centre, and when I got off it, I was in a dingy cafe type room, but there was no exit or possible way out. Still remember that, even though I was quite little when I dreamt it, and I've always wondered what it meant...
Old 03-14-2006, 11:32 AM   #22
Dungeon Master

I believe I asked about it on the Forums once in the past, but nobody answered then.

How would you lucid dreamers know that you are in control of your dream as opposed to, you know, only dreaming that you are?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #23
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Not everyone has those types of dreams, you really know when your controlling the dream, you have to have one to understand the feeling.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #24
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurefan
I tend to have very odd dreams alot, usually quite freaky in the sense that someone's trying to hurt me... I'd like to master lucid dreaming so I don't get these dreams, but I've never been able, even when I realise I'm dreaming, to change the events.
I had the most bizzare, disturbing dream last week, but I'm not sure how to explain it.. Basically, someone, unknown and unseen, was threatening to kill me unless I complied with him... Then everything went black.. That was probably the most frightening dream I've ever had, mainly because it was so vivid. When I was younger, I dreamt that I was on an escalator in a shopping centre, and when I got off it, I was in a dingy cafe type room, but there was no exit or possible way out. Still remember that, even though I was quite little when I dreamt it, and I've always wondered what it meant...
I think one of the scariest dreams I used to have when I was small, was that where I was in a completely dark room (perfect darkness. The kind where you can't even see the tip of your nose, or your hand even if it is so close to your face that you can feel the fine, tiny hairs on the back on it on your face.), without windows or doors (even though it's dark, I somehow always knew there were no windows or doors). It was terrible, because there was really nothing else I could do but wait what happened. Nothing ever happened, but it was scary, because I thought I would never escape from that wretched place.

The scary thing is, I never knew if I was dreaming, or if it was just a very dark night, where no light filtered through the glass door of my bedroom. That's probably why I never completely close the rolling blinds (the kind that is outside the window, and closes really light tight).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #25
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

The only crazy dream I have ever remembered ended with me being abandoned by my family at night in a McDonalds car park then the McDonald staff told me ill be taken car of by this Giant Clown playing a banjo....
the clown came from this ornament my gran had...but that one was playing a guitar
Old 03-14-2006, 05:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I think one of the scariest dreams I used to have when I was small, was that where I was in a completely dark room (perfect darkness. The kind where you can't even see the tip of your nose, or your hand even if it is so close to your face that you can feel the fine, tiny hairs on the back on it on your face.), without windows or doors (even though it's dark, I somehow always knew there were no windows or doors). It was terrible, because there was really nothing else I could do but wait what happened. Nothing ever happened, but it was scary, because I thought I would never escape from that wretched place.

The scary thing is, I never knew if I was dreaming, or if it was just a very dark night, where no light filtered through the glass door of my bedroom. That's probably why I never completely close the rolling blinds (the kind that is outside the window, and closes really light tight).

-
Are you sure you were dreaming that? Because it sounds an awful lot like dream/sleep paralysis (or whatever the scientific term is). Basically you open your eyes while you're dreaming and what you see gets fed into your REM sleep. Ofcourse I saw this on Discovery Channel or NG so you best take it with a pinch of salt, but apparently this is where the majority of "alien abduction experiences" comes from (the minority coming from people who seriously crave attention, and "hypnotherapists" that are dying to give that to them ), and in Japan, people often experience this while they think they're seeing a scary witch-like creature doing stuff with their body (it's dictated by local myths and stories and such). So your eyes are open but your body is still paralyzed because you're dreaming, and the dream will cause you to 'hallucinate' stuff (or not, in your case). Some people have extreme cases of dream paralysis, where they have that every single night of their life, now there's a scary thought
Old 03-15-2006, 12:13 AM   #27
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I'll share a few.

The coolest dream I ever had was around eight years ago, I think. I was in this kingdom where the king was trying to catch me. So there were soldiers all over the place, and I was hiding under tables and the like. Anyway, it was around this point that I realized I was asleep. And I didn't know how to wake up! (If this happened today, I'd probably just try to open my eyes.) I was terrified. So I asked this "village elder" type how I should wake up. He pointed to a nearby mountain, and said, "If you climb that mountain, you will wake up.". So I started walking up the mountain. This wasn't exactly difficult because it was a smooth path spiraling around the mountain. But before I got to the top, the king's soldiers caught up! I started running, and I got to the top... and instantly I woke up.

In past years, most of my dreams are either based on videogame experiences or can easily be translated into videogame experiences.

Case in point: A few weeks ago I had a very interesting dream. The first half was pretty ordinary stuff, involving friends and family and a space ship to take to a certain very dangerous place. Well, after a nonsensical quest, whose details I have forgotten, I managed to take the ship (I don't remember how- I might have stolen it), which looked most like the rocket ships in Flash Gordon (the original serial). I took off. And at this point, the dream became a bona fide side-scrolling shmup, in which I moved from right to left. I was doing well, until I reached a boss, and was killed.

...and woke up. It was around 2 AM, I think. I went back to sleep. And had the same dream again. It played out in the same way, except that now I knew exactly what I had to do to get the rocket ship, so I worked more quickly and managed to get it with less trouble. Then, the side-scrolling shmup. I didn't want to lose again, so I decided to experiment. Instead of moving to the left, I started to move up. The farther I went up, the more the view zoomed out, until eventually I was looking at the entire planet on which the game took place from space. The levels were marked clearly by little yellow dots with very iconic illustrations next to them. And it was at this point that I remembered that it was, after all, a video game, so I took the Revolution controller (Hm.), pointed it at my destination, and pressed A. The rocket zoomed down. This little cheat didn't bring me all the way to the end, but it did warp me to the last level, so I was able to get to the end with less trouble.

Then there's the dream involving flying, of course. It was pretty straightforward, except that I recognized the area I was flying over as the setting for another dream. Flying is so cool. Where are all the bird sims?

Here's the last one, but it'll take some explanation. It was back when Gush Katif (an area in Israel) was being abandoned. My mother is quite an activist, and she regularly went there to visit and show support before the population were thrown out. I never went, because I preferred to play games and watch TV shows at home. But there was always that nagging question: "What if Gush Katif really is a place like no other? What if I'm missing out on an adventure?" Childish, of course, but I'm sort of desparate for Myst-like exploration, living as I do on a street which loops back around to itself. I had a dream right before the "evacuation" of what I might be missing. I walked to Gush Katif from Jerusalem (I found a shortcut. ), and found that it was indeed like nothing else I'd ever seen. When I woke up, I realized that that dream would make an incredible videogame, so I wrote it down on my blog, adding bits to flesh it out just a little bit more.

Here is what I wrote. It's pretty faithful to the dream, but I don't remember which parts were added in and which were in the dream.
Quote:
It was late in the evening when the stranger waded into town. At first he had no empathy for the sadness filling the air- it was merely curiosity which drove him here. A large sign stood by the entrance, as if to introduce this strange place, but all it said was “Don't Miss”. Gazing into the wide street in front of him, he perceived not a town but a lake. This was partly because the water reached his torso, but mostly because it simply didn't have the features any town ought to have- people, for instance. There were also no trees or vegetation, no animals, no vehicles, and not a sound but the water beneath him. The sky was perfectly clear, and the moon had only started to rise. To either side of him as he walked were tall walls with so many cracks it was a wonder they still stood. The windows were shut and the curtains drawn, but curiously enough there was some light shining out.

He passed many old walls of increasingly curious design. Some music was being played on some sort of string ensemble -slow, quietly emotional and faintly Jewish- but it faded away. Finally the traveller came across what might be considered a doorway, but the door was nothing more than an old and ratty cloth. He pulled it aside and entered. He wouldn't consider it a house, because the roof did not cover the entirety of the area, but it was certainly a home. A lady was sitting still in a rocking chair, and made no indication that she had noticed the intrusion, or if she did that she cared. Her husband kissed her on the forehead and walked out the door slowly. As he passed through, he faded away.

The floor must have been elevated, because the water only got to knee-level. There was a fireplace in the corner- a fire was burning in it without producing any smoke. Each room was separated by more drapes, and the explorer passed through a kitchen, then a bedroom, and then it seemed as if he had reached another house without realizing. Apparently the entire area was connected. He passed many families which sat or stood in place, and many people faded away as he watched them. Had he decided to return along the path he had come, he would have found that they all had vanished; but he wished to progress. The doors did not distinguish between house and the streets, and he soon understood that the distinction was irrelevant. Each area was distinct, as if there was once good reason to distinguish between them, as if there had been life here once. He moved on, all the while trying to imagine what life was like here back then, but soon reached a dead end. Several children were playing, and he understood that this was what he had come to see.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:38 AM   #28
Lazy Bee

I seem to only be dreaming ordinary, boring dreams. Familiar people, my own surroundings nothing exciting.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:16 AM   #29
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I actually vaguely remember some crazed dream I had last night about stealing a whole load of sweets that were also money while everyone involved was double-crossing everyone. A couple of hours later that's all I really remember, though (other than a rather neat timing ploy that I really ought to use in a story one day).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:24 AM   #30
all loved up

I had a really strange but quite cool dream last night, but it was in two parts. In the first part, my best friend took me to a seaside town, and we were in this massive sweetshop. I'd found my favourite kind of sweets (jelly belly) and they had a spring collection with my favourite flavour, the now defunct peppermint, in this set. However, then my friend decides it time to move on, and we go to this little indoor waterpark.

The second part saw me at a different friend's birthday party, and we were at some kind of wierd theme park (I've had a few dreams about theme parks and rides before, almost always those that don't exist, but this one took the biscuit) There was a ride that was based on a tree, which you sat inside, and the branches you sat in/on moved randomly (imagine the whomping willow from Harry Potter) The dream ended with me gazing at this ride in awe, feeling quite unsure whether I wanted to go on it...
Old 03-15-2006, 10:10 AM   #31
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Huh. I found this interesting:
Quote:
CAR or VEHICLE : This is supposed to symbolize you in your waking life, in your physical body. Your physical body is used by the soul pretty much like we use a car...it's driven for awhile and we give it gas/nourishment & repairs as needed until it stops running, and then we go back home. Pay attention to your car, which symbolizes your VESSEL/physical body. Are you behind the wheel, or is someone else in control? You want to be in charge of your life, naturally. What is the color & condition of this vehicle? Do you seem to be driving it the right way, on a safe road in good condition, or is the road rocky, winding, or suddenly ends at a cliff? That would signal you need redirection. The bigger the vehicle, the more energy you may be successfully using for your daily lessons, depending on the context of your dream. Note all clues as to how you are faring, and make adjustments accordingly.
I did have a doctor's appointment Monday (just a regular checkup), and was told I was in good shape.
Perhaps there's something to this "dream analysis" thing after all.

Share the love.

<3
Old 03-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #32

Ofcourse there is, that's what Freud found out some time ago I had an cool (non lucid, didn't work) dream yesterday, but woke up in the middle of it, and despite all efforts to finish it, I got up and forgot the whole thing Man, I wish there were Dream-VCRs or something like that

But congrats on the Doctor's OK
Old 03-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #33
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Ofcourse there is, that's what Freud found out some time ago.
But congrats on the Doctor's OK.
Exercise and diet will put a spring in anyone's step, but having someone to look forward to seeing every few months is definitely a dream come true.

Share the love.

<3
Old 03-15-2006, 11:00 AM   #34

Awwww....

Awwwwwww.......

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....
Old 03-16-2006, 03:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Are you sure you were dreaming that? Because it sounds an awful lot like dream/sleep paralysis (or whatever the scientific term is). Basically you open your eyes while you're dreaming and what you see gets fed into your REM sleep. Ofcourse I saw this on Discovery Channel or NG so you best take it with a pinch of salt, but apparently this is where the majority of "alien abduction experiences" comes from (the minority coming from people who seriously crave attention, and "hypnotherapists" that are dying to give that to them ), and in Japan, people often experience this while they think they're seeing a scary witch-like creature doing stuff with their body (it's dictated by local myths and stories and such). So your eyes are open but your body is still paralyzed because you're dreaming, and the dream will cause you to 'hallucinate' stuff (or not, in your case). Some people have extreme cases of dream paralysis, where they have that every single night of their life, now there's a scary thought
It might have been sleep paralysis, yes. I didn't know about it back then (I think I was at most 9 years old), but I had a case of sleep paralysis only last year or so. I remember having read about it around that point too. But that experience was different. When I experienced it last year, I felt that I couldn't open my eyes, and my chest felt heavy (in the middle ages people believed Demons sitting on your chest were the cause to that. Cue the paintings by Fuseli!). I waited, and after some I was able to breathe alright again, and I could open my eyes. It was certainly not pleasant.

I am pretty sure however, that I was able to breathe normally back in that nightmare with the dark room. In fact, it was a feeling as if I am floating in the middle of the room (which might have been due to me having a high bed back then, or maybe not), and I was certainly able to open my eyes and breathe normally. It was just completely dark. I think I sat up, hugging my legs in that dream back then, because I had a feeling that this room was all that's left of the world, as if I am in a box that is itself immersed in nothingness. It felt as if there was nothing material outside the room (so I guess windows and door would have been kind of pointless), that all of existence was to be found inside that room. And considering that except for me and perfect darkness there was nothing in the room, that thought was not a happy one. I can remember that feeling, and it sends shivers down my spine.

-

Old 03-16-2006, 03:04 PM   #36
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Not everyone has those types of dreams, you really know when your controlling the dream, you have to have one to understand the feeling.
But that's what I am asking about: why trust what you feel while dreaming? Having dreamt that you could fly or speak to animals, you don't believe that actually happened, do you? So why should the feeling that you were controlling your dream be any less of an illusion?

Of course, perhaps the feeling itself is worth it; I'm not questioning that. I just fail to understand all those "No, I could really do anything." assertions.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
But that's what I am asking about: why trust what you feel while dreaming? Having dreamt that you could fly or speak to animals, you don't believe that actually happened, do you? So why should the feeling that you were controlling your dream be any less of an illusion?

Of course, perhaps the feeling itself is worth it; I'm not questioning that. I just fail to understand all those "No, I could really do anything." assertions.

Just being able to fly does not instantly mean you are able to control your dream. Control extends beyond your body. Think playing god with some limits. If you control your dreams, you could create mountains at will, make water flow uphill, and make heads explode and let penguins dance the tango.

THAT is what I call control.

-

Old 03-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #38
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Call me extremely cynical, but this lucid dreaming thing just seems implausible to me.

Cue a whole group of people telling me that they've personally experienced it .

Old 03-16-2006, 03:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Call me extremely cynical, but this lucid dreaming thing just seems implausible to me.

Cue a whole group of people telling me that they've personally experienced it .

I am not saying I have experienced it. I am working on it though.

However, there are people that always have lucid dreams, and have always had, not knowing that for most people lucid dreams are not a given thing. However, you don't often ask people about their dreams, do you?

-

Old 03-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #40
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

I'm still not quite believing this, but that's because I've yet to actually speak to any individual who has actually had lucid dreams themselves. Everyone appears to be in a state of trying, with a whole heap of website links to point me two, but without their own personal experiences.

I sound like such a cynical old man ...