You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat "Retro Fusion" - magazine for the retro gamer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default "Retro Fusion" - magazine for the retro gamer

Retro Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by press release
A new retro magazine called Retro Fusion will exclusively be sold at Gamestation stores from the beginning of April 2006. The magazine will take you back in time and celebrate everything that defined your youth.

In issue 1 we look at the The A-Team TV series, Star Wars Toys and the Sonic the Hedgehog games as well as a myriad of other features that will tickle your nostalgic memories and leave you with a nice warm feeling inside.

Guest writers this issue include Philip Oliver, from the Oliver Brothers, exclusively writing in Retro Fusion on his memories of making the Dizzy games with his brother Andrew and Archer Maclean talking about how he lovingly restored a Pacman cabinet from disrepair back to its former glory.

The magazine is split into sections celebrating Arcade, Computers, Consoles and Nostalgia and comes in at 68-pages for the cover price of £3.00.

Can someone in the UK check this out and let us know if the magazine's any good?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
Lovable rogue

Oooooh, I want it!

I'll endeavour to pick up a copy, I'm not sure I have a Gamestation near me, but it seems more than likely.

I love "The A-Team", now I'll have to get my season 1 DVD boxset out tonight!
"I pity the foo'!"

PS - Thanks for the tip!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 03-07-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I'm so going to buy that immediately when I'm there.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
Banned User

Old 03-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #5
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Hmm - might be worth checking out, but the fact it's being sold exclusively at Gamestation doesn't really bode well.

Have you seen Retro Gamer magazine? That's quite good, with some nice in-depth articles and interviews and things - although I've only bought a couple of issues as it's quite expensive (£5!).
Old 03-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #6

OMG that is the hippest title any magazine could have Sounds awesome though, I played Sonic to death (or rather, killed Dr. Robotnik to oblivion ) and I still have some Star Wars toys buried in the basement somewhere
Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

What is Gamestation? Just a game store (like EB)?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
Huz
Kersal Massive

Yes, it's one of the two major UK chains concentrating on video games (the other being GAME).

Gamestation are owned by Blockbuster (the video rental company) and their stores are often found as parasites in their outlets. I'm sure I read something about Blockbuster closing down a lot of the Gamestation locations or sellingf them off to GAME, but I can't remember the details...

Anyway, I don't think it's even close to being the dominant gaming store on the high street, which is why it's a little odd that the magazine should be distributed exclusively there.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
Lovable rogue

Ja, http://www.gamestation.co.uk/

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Gamestation are owned by Blockbuster (the video rental company) and their stores are often found as parasites in their outlets. I'm sure I read something about Blockbuster closing down a lot of the Gamestation locations or sellingf them off to GAME, but I can't remember the details...
Ah. Sounds like Game Crazy in the states, which is owned by Hollywood Video.

I work around the corner from a Game Crazy store and I never noticed it until I used the store locator on their website. I must have driven past it a hundred times. It really is just a little room at the back of the video store... kind of weird. The one time I went in I felt like I wasn't really supposed to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Anyway, I don't think it's even close to being the dominant gaming store on the high street, which is why it's a little odd that the magazine should be distributed exclusively there.
Unless the magazine is also owned by Blockbuster...
Old 03-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #11
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I wonder if the market is capable of supporting another retro magazine. After all, there's already Retro Gamer, the Retro section in Games™ (still alive for now!) and probably something similar in EDGE...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Last edited by RLacey; 03-07-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Have you seen Retro Gamer magazine? That's quite good, with some nice in-depth articles and interviews and things - although I've only bought a couple of issues as it's quite expensive (£5!).

Gah! I want that! I was so pleased when I saw you can subscribe to it from Europe, but then I saw that it costs £36! That's too much for a poor little girl like me!

...oh well, I guess I have to live without any kind of Retro magazine for forever...

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Yeah, Retro Gamer had some stuff on KQ9 & SQ7. Good stuff.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #14
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Gah! I want that! I was so pleased when I saw you can subscribe to it from Europe, but then I saw that it costs £36! That's too much for a poor little girl like me!
You can fly to the UK and pick up a massive supply yourself for less!

See how many you can squeeze into the overhead lockers on Easyjet...
Old 03-09-2006, 01:36 AM   #15

I bought a few issues of Retro Gamer. The few I was able to find, essentially. It's a true joy, particularly for someone as badly stuck in the 1980's as me. Sort of a nice reminder that I am not the only one.

Of course, lately I've been able to track down some classics to read instead, like Zzap 64, Commodore User, Your Sinclair, and the odd diskmag on the ST or Amiga. All of which are wonderful. Sadly, I can't seem to find much preserved from Amiga Power or even Amiga Format, and all of my old issues are long gone.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

Did anyone else read Dynamite in the 70s / 80s?

Oh my god, I'm having a flashback.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #17
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett
Sadly, I can't seem to find much preserved from Amiga Power or even Amiga Format, and all of my old issues are long gone.
I own every issue of Amiga Format from late 1992 to 1996 or so. Ah, memories!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:39 PM   #18
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

True gamers read Amstrad Action ...

Old 03-09-2006, 11:52 PM   #19
merely human

Left to right - Qbert, Battlezone, Tempest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Fusion
Dedicated to bringing back the memories of your childhood...
LOL!!! Many of you guys weren't even born then or weren't old enough yet to develop your motor skills to handle a joystick. Man, I was weaned on arcade games!! I mean true arcade, the ones at the cornershop and the strip malls and I had to save a week's worth of quarters only to lose to them in a couple hours. Galaxa, Donkey Kong, Pacman, Miss Pacman, Battlezone, Space Invaders, Qbert, Tempest - I've played a lot of them.

My favourite was Battlezone, because it was set up where you actually use a 'periscope' and when you look through it it felt so real because it was in 3D stereoscope! Gawd, I spent hours on that thing after school.

I love the idea of a 'zine dedicated to old school gaming, even though I have no interest in it myself (for the obvious reasons). It's great to know that today's young gamers have a sense of history and continuity of games and gaming culture.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #20
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Speaking of Amstrad Action, you can now read it for free online (with permission from Future Publishing) at CPC Oxygen. How's that for retro?