You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat I'm not going to London! And other great stories...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 05:47 AM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default I'm not going to London! And other great stories...

Well, first of all I lied with that title. I am going to London, but only for one night at first, but let's not go into that right now, let me start this story from the very beginning that is last summer.

Ahh yes... summer of 2005, the summer of disappointments. I didn't get to the university that I wanted, like some of you might remember. Also I left a floorball team that I had been a member of for about seven years and joined another team that was another hard time for me.

Oh well, my plans were to go back to the post office or something like that and just wait for next summer and the next entrance exams, but my father started pushing me very heavily towards another school called Vaasa Vocational Institute and there the department of technonology and business economy. At first I was not interested at all in that school and anything about it. As soon I started there my views began to change very rapidly and I started enjoying being in that place. The degree that I'm after there takes only two years to study and soon the first year is about to end. I've gotten almost perfect scores on all the exams and I'm pretty happy with how things are going there.

At the moment my university plans have been put to hold and I'm going to finish this school first and then go to the university and when that time comes I'm going to get there.

And now let's get to the most important part of the story...

During the autumn periods, one of my teachers who handles the international affairs told me and others about a possibility to go abroad in the last period of spring when we are supposed to go basically to work at some place that has something to do with our degree. There were two choices, Sweden and United Kingdom, I of course immediately became really interested about that UK choice. So time has passed and now everything has been settled, I'm going to UK in April for seven and half weeks with couple of girls from my class. Destination is Basingstoke, a city the size of Vaasa about 60 km west from London. I'm so excited about the trip that I don't know if I've ever been this excited about anything.

It seems that these days everybody are going UK.
I'd love to meet some of you UK people if that is any way possible when I'm there.

This is the reason why I won't get to play Dreamfall and many other great games as soon as those are released.

PS. I never posted any pics from my October visit to London, there just really wasn't any worthy pics to post here. I don't know if anyone cared, except maybe Mattsius.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Yay, more AGers in the best country in the world!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Wow! Kolzig! It sounds like things are really looking up for you! That sounds great! Have a wonderful time and get to meet all these Blokes and let us know what they're really like! And don't forget to take lots of pictures!

Congratulations!

Lynsie
Old 03-04-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
Lazy Bee

Great news!
I understand you didn´t want to come here after losing the Olymic gold and everything.
No seriously, what a great opportunity. IMO staying in a smaller town will let you see the real UK. I find London being a (wonderful) meltpot of so many cultures but so special it doesn´t reflect what England really is. Am I right or wrong there you Brittish guys?
Old 03-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #5
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Yay Kolzig! Woo-Hoo!
So, what are you studying in technical school?

Share the love.

<3
Old 03-04-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I´m glad to hear everthing is going fine for you Kolzig, hope you´ll have an splendid time in UK..I know you´l be going first in april, but...
Old 03-04-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
The Reggienator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Yay Kolzig! Woo-Hoo!
So, what are you studying in technical school?
I'm not actually studying anything technical, I'm not exactly sure what it's called in english, but it's something like Business and Administration.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Economics and Management?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #9
The Reggienator

Something like that, yes.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #10
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Yay, more AGers in the best country in the world!

He's too far south for that.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
He's too far south for that.
Again! I love Scotland!/LenaJ
Old 03-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #12
Friendly Server Admin

Hey, I'm not going to London either!

(Or any other part of the UK, sadly)
Old 03-04-2006, 11:41 PM   #13

I'll be there in a few weeks, myself. I'm going to spend a week looking around the city and meeting with estate agents in order to (hopefully) arrange accomodation for when I start at the London College of Communication this coming September.

I'm quite looking forward to it.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:34 AM   #14
The Reggienator

Hello!

So here I am, finally in Basingstoke, or more likely I've been here since Sunday.

My bluetooth web thingy didn't want to work since Sunday, I really don't know why, so now I'm just stuck to using the public internet access at the library. The bluetooth gprs connection did work when I tried it out for the first time... (My phone keeps telling me that GPRS is not allowed, and I've tried all the four operators available, O2, Vodafone, Orange and T-Mobile)

Still seven weeks left to explore this big old country.

I feel great and everything seems great so far, now I think I'll go visit the local Gamestation, hehheh...

Old 04-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #15
Super Moderator

I'm glad you're having fun!
Old 04-13-2006, 05:45 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Mmmm Basingstoke. A lovely place to be stuck for 3 hours in the train station when there's a power cut. (I have fond memories of the place, as you can tell )
Old 04-13-2006, 06:04 AM   #17
Lazy Bee

Good to see that you´re all settled and enjoying yourself! Have fun!
You´ll be coming back with a super-British accent I presume.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #18
Mostly absent

I'm sure you have no problem fitting in with that beer-drinking people.

Nice to hear you're having a great time over there!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #19
The Reggienator

Hey, maybe it's time for a second update!

Still, the gprs thingy ain't working and that's pissing me off really badly.

Work practise started this week and it's a bit fun, but if only they could get me some real work, they honestly don't have any assignments for me to do right now...

Hey and I have to say this, British food is really weird. So much fat and different kinds of spices, blergh... and if I want candy, there's only chocolate or soft fruit candy available. Where's the salmiakki, god damnit!

I think I've seen quite enough of Basingstoke's town centre for now, next week I'm going to go to Leisure Park that's near the town centre. I've heard that there are lots of exciting entertainment possibilities at Leisure Park. Oh and on Saturday I'm off to London again. I hope that my budget can handle all this travelling etc..

Oh yeah and next Monday I'm starting to play at Power League, the local 5 vs 5 football league, I'm very, very excited about that! The guys at my workplace invited me to play in their team.

PS. The local football team is said to be totally rubbish, I haven't yet been to their match, but I'm going to very soon.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #20
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Where's the salmiakki, god damnit!
LOL Only in Suomi. Hyvää päivää!