You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Teaching Overseas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
How am I not myself?

Default Teaching Overseas

I recently finished my TESOL course and am in the process of looking for work overseas. Preferably I would like to teach in Tokyo but to be honest I'm fed up with Brisbane. A lot of things have slowly built up and now I want out. It's a long shot but do any of you guys know of any jobs going for ESL teachers?
Old 02-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Citizen of Bizarro World

The Bible College I went to in Seattle offers ESL classes, and it's mostly Korean students taking them.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 02-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
Super Moderator

This is from Monster.com and I searched for ESL. Not all of the jobs match ESL specifically and you may want to change the search parameters.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Translate Me

Do you have a university degree in addition to your TESOL certification? It doesn't matter what the degree is in, but for teaching jobs in Japan a degree is practically essential. If you can go to Japan and really impress someone in an interview, there's a very remote possibility they may waive this on your behalf, but consider that even the very worst of the conversation schools, the dirty bottom rung of the English teaching ladder, still require a degree even though they don't require English teaching certification or experience.

If you do have a degree, then great! You can apply with a conversation school, or the government's JET program for teachers and teachers' assistants in high schools, or as a corporate instructor. With a post-graduate degree, you may even be eligible to work at a university, provided you're also reasonably fluent in Japanese.

There's also private tutoring, but you can't get a work visa for that. That's better reserved as a supplement to another job or to make a few yen while you're in Japan looking for a full-time position.

If you want to learn more about teaching in Japan, the ELT News website is a good starting point.

What's so bad about Brisbane, though? I know a lot of Japanese who didn't like living there, but all the natives I've met seemed to like it just fine.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
Chris Barraclough

My GF taught English in Japan for a year through GEOS, she really enjoyed it. She has a degree though, so not sure if you'd need one too. I'd love to go out there again, but then I'd love to go to Australia too.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 02-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
How am I not myself?

According to my research you only need a degree if over the age of 30. I have found that many employers ask for a bachelor's degree though. I have completed 1 year of a B.A which is a start I guess but it probably counts for nothing. I am going to resume studies at uni in 2007.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:06 AM   #7
More slaw!!!

It'll take a dedicated effort of scouring through TESOL job websites if you want to get a job you -really- want. Like Niko said; if you don't have a degree forget about working in Japan doing anything. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that to simply be allowed to work in Japan doing anything at all you have to have a degree.

If not Japan, where do you want to work? There's always lots of jobs in China. If you want somewhere awesome (but really cold) I'd suggest Russia.

Let us know how the job hunting goes!
Old 03-01-2006, 06:35 AM   #8
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
It'll take a dedicated effort of scouring through TESOL job websites if you want to get a job you -really- want. Like Niko said; if you don't have a degree forget about working in Japan doing anything. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that to simply be allowed to work in Japan doing anything at all you have to have a degree.

If not Japan, where do you want to work? There's always lots of jobs in China. If you want somewhere awesome (but really cold) I'd suggest Russia.

Let us know how the job hunting goes!
I've decided that a job in Japan may be setting my sights a little too high. I'd love to work somewhere like Bejing or Singapore. As for Russia, sounds great. I'm really up for anything. I'll be sending off a new batch of C.Vs in the morning to all sorts of exotic locations. Fingers crossed. I'll keep you all informed
Old 03-01-2006, 07:01 AM   #9

Good luck, Glenn. I saw a lot of Australians teaching English in Korea. But I think you need a bachelor's degree to teach English in Korea as well. Here's a link for some info on how teaching English is like in Korea. I suspect the experience in other Asian countries are similar.

http://www2.ald.net/~roden/korea/
Old 03-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #10
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playing_games
Good luck, Glenn. I saw a lot of Australians teaching English in Korea. But I think you need a bachelor's degree to teach English in Korea as well. Here's a link for some info on how teaching English is like in Korea. I suspect the experience in other Asian countries are similar.

http://www2.ald.net/~roden/korea/
Thanks for the link. There was some invaluable info contained on that site.

Cheers,
Old 03-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #11
merely human

You already know how I feel about your plans. Get the *BLEEP* out of your little corner of the world and discover all the other beautiful and exotic corners!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
Citizen of Bizarro World

I thought Australia was as exotic as it gets. But I hear that people who grew up in Hawaii love living in frigid Canada, and such. I guess there's no accounting for tastes, or for interpretations of the word "exotic".
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #13
More slaw!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
I thought Australia was as exotic as it gets. But I hear that people who grew up in Hawaii love living in frigid Canada, and such. I guess there's no accounting for tastes, or for interpretations of the word "exotic".
Hehe. I think people just don't appreciate what they have! I never had much appreciation for Australia... until I left.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #14

Have you seen this website?
http://bogglesworld.com/

http://bogglesworld.com/esl_jobs/tefl_masters.htm

Job offers are also posted there.

I'm thinking of going into ESL myself after a graduate. My father is an ESL teacher and it seems to have treated him pretty well. Good luck on your career.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #15
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
Have you seen this website?
http://bogglesworld.com/

http://bogglesworld.com/esl_jobs/tefl_masters.htm

Job offers are also posted there.

I'm thinking of going into ESL myself after a graduate. My father is an ESL teacher and it seems to have treated him pretty well. Good luck on your career.
Thanks for the link

Actually, I don't plan on being an ESL teacher long-term. It's really just method of traveling, experiencing the world and broadening my horizons. Of course I have no problem with teach, I suspect it will be somewhat enjoyable and definitely rewarding but I am passionate about a different career, one that I could never deny.