You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #181
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Man, you worked on Oldsmobiles far more than was good for you .
Actually, just the one. I'm much more of a Ford/Mercury/Lincoln guy, but my dear departed Oldsmobile was too good a deal to pass up at the time.

Quote:
We don't see Oldmobiles so often here in Europe because they are so extremely expensive to run.
I'm sure, since as far as I know General Motors never marketed Oldsmobiles on the European continent and Oldsmobile-specific parts would be rather hard to come by there.

Quote:
But my neighbour had a car like the one you show in the top picture, in the 1980s. That thing was so big it didn't even fit on his parking space in front of his house properly. And it used so much gas that he had to stop for fuel halfway on a 100 mile (actually 130 km) long trip. But that was probably because he had it converted to run on LPG. It was a cool car though.
It sounds like the LPG conversion might not have been such a good idea in the long run. Those cars originally came with a 25-gallon gas tank and got 8 to 12+ miles per gallon with the larger (7.5 litre/460 cubic inch) engine, so the minimum range on a full tank of gas would have been around 200 miles.

Quote:
The blue car looks a bit boring. Aren't there better looking practical cars on the market there?
I'm very much a "pretty is as pretty does" kind of guy, so looks are way down on my priority list. Mercury Sable wagons like the one pictured can handle a fair amount of cargo, they're relatively easy to work on, and parts for them are both cheap and plentiful.

Quote:
Something like this, for instance:

A 2009 Renault Laguna Wagon.
Not bad looking, but with such a short rear overhang I'm forced to wonder how much cargo it can swallow.

Share the love.

<3
Old 11-26-2009, 03:57 AM   #182
tsa
Playing character

It was just meant as an example of more interesting design.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #183
Bad Influence

Quote:
It was just meant as an example of more interesting design.
Ah. Gotcha.
Well, looks-wise the previous-generation Sable wagon is more appealing,

but they're getting older every day and they have a reputation for being somewhat less reliable than the subsequent version I posted earlier.

Confining my critiques to wagons you might be more familiar with, the Peugeot 504

And what was sold in the US as a Renault/Eagle "Medallion" (I'm not sure what it's model nomenclature was over there)

were serious wagons that could swallow an amazing amount of stuff.

Mercedes-Benz wagons are okay, if a bit sterile in personality and appearance.

Audi wagons have teeny-tiny cargo holds and should be classified as hatchbacks, not as wagons... plus Audi's "styling" (or more accurately "complete LACK of styling", but I guess "generic" is still a style) is a massive yawn for me.

Volvo wagons are excellent wagons, particularly the 240 series and to a slightly lesser extent the 740 series. Unabashed cubism isn't a bad ethic to follow in wagon design because it allows for the most voluminous interior spaces. Also, I've always harbored a secret desire to own a Volvo wagon with flames painted on the side so that I'm not mistaken for a member of the Yuppie hoard.

Share the love.

<3
Old 11-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #184
tsa
Playing character

The Volvo 740 is a brilliant car. Very beautiful and very practical, and very durable too! A colleague of mine has one. And here in Europe Volvos are not for yuppies but for settled fiftysomethings .
Old 11-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #185
Lazy Bee

We used to have a Volvo v70. It looked pretty much like this.

It was the most comfortable car I've had.
Today we have a Ford Mondeo (and my yellow Seat of course). It's OK, but not like a Volvo.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #186
tsa
Playing character

My car history is already quite large. I started with an old Ford Fiesta 1.1 Sport. Sorry about the size of the image but this was the best I could find.

Mine had a black stripe and grey interior. It was also silver grey. The thing drove like a skelter; it was great fun. After the fiesta I got a Nissan Micra:

It drove like, well, it was probably the worst driving car on the road back then. It was horrible. It always seemed to want to go somewhere else than I pointed it to. But it was very reliable and I drove it for 11 years. After that I got my Clio, which I drove for almost 8 years:

I had a lot of fun with that car. It drove very well, it was luxurious, and a lot better looking than the Micra. As you know, when it was almost 8 years old, I traded it in for the Peugeot I have now:
Old 11-27-2009, 05:07 AM   #187
Under pressure.

My car history:

I started with a Renault 19 sport. It looked exactly like the picture below, but was black instead of white. This car is the reason why I hate French cars. It would refuse to go in second gear many times, and I had a shitload of problems with it. (like the gas hanging because some nut got loose and slid via the gas cable into something)

Then I got an awesome Volvo V80. I loved the (Dutch) design, and the luxerious features that it sported. When I got this car, it was already on its way to becoming a wanted classic. I still regret having to part with it:

Then I got a Ford Probe. Very comfortable car, and quite rare in Europe. At least in The Netherlands. Even though it's an American model, these babies were built in Germany. Many parts are also from Mazda, thus maintenance wasn't very expensive. I have sold the car to my brother, who later sold it to my sister, so it's still in the family.

When I started a new job, I got a company leased car. It's a Volkswagen Polo. It's not that bad, but I wish it had better seats.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:17 AM   #188
tsa
Playing character

Wow, I was madly in love with the Volvo 480 when it came out! I was something like 16 at the time and getting my father to buy one was out of the question because of its price. But we had a 440!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #189
Under pressure.

Yeah, I would like to drive a 480 again. Or a new C30, which is based on the 480.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #190
tsa
Playing character

I thought about buying that one, 'cause I find it very cool. But when I stood next to it in the shop I thought: nah, it's not the car for me.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #191
Friendly Server Admin

Currently driving a 2007 Nissan Sentra:

Before that I had a chain of two Fords, an '89 Taurus and a '01. Neither were bad cars per se, but they were pretty big 3.0L V6 engines and I wanted better mileage. The Sentra's a much smaller engine, but it's also a lighter car and as an added bonus has a continuously variable transmission, which is fun

Also, a surprising amount of cargo space in the Sentra.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #192
tsa
Playing character

Cool, a CVT! The first cars to have that were the Dutch DAFs:

The CVT was invented by Mr. Van Doorne. The Dafs had rubber bands instead of the metal bands that are used now. Inside the CVT:
Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #193
Friendly Server Admin

Actually there are sketches of a CVT by Da Vinci

But yeah, it's awesome.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #194
Stalker of Britain

I started off liking to skim through some of the posts from this thread, since it showed people's new cars and stuff, but now it went back to guys obsessing about random cars and stuff that goes right over my head...Not that that's a bad thing, you've just lost me.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #195
tsa
Playing character

What car would you like to drive if you had the money Fantasie?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 AM   #196
Stalker of Britain

Oh gosh, I don't know. I'm not really into cars, wish I had one, though. I don't really like the new cars that you can't even hear the engine. I'm dying to get my hands on my mom's old mini-van, but she's going to run it till it dies. I don't know types of cars very well, I'm afraid...
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #197
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Oh gosh, I don't know. I'm not really into cars, wish I had one, though. I don't really like the new cars that you can't even hear the engine. I'm dying to get my hands on my mom's old mini-van, but she's going to run it till it dies. I don't know types of cars very well, I'm afraid...
If you really want a minivan, a good used one should be quite affordable. Minivans aren't "glamour" vehicles, and their resale values are usually very low- bad news if you bought one new, but great news if you're looking for one second-hand.

On two different occasions I've rented Dodge Neons while on vacation:

I've found them to be quite charming cars. I can sit up straight in them, they have a surprisingly large trunk, and even the basic "rent-a-car" versions have more than enough power to keep up with freeway traffic in high-altitude mountainous terrain (4400+ feet above sea level in the Reno area). Plus the 2005 Neon tops Edmund's list of "Worst Resale Value", so it should be easy to find one at an affordable price.

Share the love.

<3
Old 12-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #198
Under pressure.

During my vacation in California, a few years ago, I rented an Impala. Very comfortable car, but also quite stiff in the corners. It performed great in the mountains. (I've been to Reno as well - drove around Lake Tahoe )

Last edited by Erwin_Br; 12-08-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #199
tsa
Playing character

When we were in Canada ten years ago we rented a Dodge Ram Van/Chrysler Voyager. It had sliding doors, and every time we got out of the car on a parking lot we would sing the first notes of the A-Team music (Taa ta ta taaaa!). Most of the time people would stare at us like we were crazy .

Last edited by tsa; 12-08-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #200
Random

Ohhh, my neighbor sold just yesterday his red beautiful mustang, same model as this 66's:

I asked how he could sell that masterpiece, and he said he couldn't keep the maintenance anymore. I wish I had money to buy it, was very cheap, just R$ 85.000 about US $48.000

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.