Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   My Photoblog! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/13499-my-photoblog.html)

SakSquash 02-24-2006 10:38 AM

My Photoblog!

Finally, after all this time, I got one. Thanks to Mira for helpin' a bratha' out.

http://deadeyes.textamerica.com/

It's still new, so there's still a lot I have to do with it. But it's a start.

UPtimist 02-24-2006 11:00 AM

Why congratulations!

A Dutchie died... :P And what's that behind the grave? Looks like a can... Respect the deceased indeed...

But hey, nice photos!

saucyminx 02-24-2006 11:27 AM

Looking good. Can't wait for more! :)

SakSquash 02-24-2006 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPtimist
Why congratulations!

A Dutchie died... :P And what's that behind the grave? Looks like a can... Respect the deceased indeed...

But hey, nice photos!

Oh my god. I never noticed that!! Shit, if I had known it was there, I would have picked it up and thrown it out.

Any idea as to what it says?

Thanks for the words mira!

jjacob 02-24-2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SakSquash
Oh my god. I never noticed that!! Shit, if I had known it was there, I would have picked it up and thrown it out.

Any idea as to what it says?

Thanks for the words mira!

Nice blog! :) As to what the (piratey :P) grave says (in very old Dutch):
"Here lays the body of Garardus Duychinck of New York. Deceased Jul 27 of 1746 at 51 years of age. He may have died but a nice life is burried with Garardus" then it becomes unreadable, but that last sentence rhymes in Dutch :P

SakSquash 02-24-2006 05:09 PM

Ah, thanks for the translate. I should take more pictures of other stones and have you do them.

Karmillo 02-24-2006 05:30 PM

More Pirate stones!

and nice pics, you should get more action shots in though! :P

jjacob 02-24-2006 05:31 PM

No problem :) Kind of fun reading about New Netherlands on wikipedia, never learned that in-depth in school, and I was kind of surprised to read trivia such as the Roosevelts being descendants of some Dutch guy, Brooklyn once being Breuckelen, Long and Staten Island once being Lang and Staten Eylandt etc. Plus, a lot of New Yorkers share a common ancestry with us Dutch - I'm so going to see New York soon :D

SakSquash 02-24-2006 06:01 PM

There are still a lot of the old dutch families that founded Kingston running the show even today.

jjacob 02-24-2006 07:31 PM

Awesome :D Do they still speak a little Dutch, or Jersey Dutch or something?

Melanie68 02-24-2006 07:42 PM

Gorgeous pictures! Your nature shots are very impressive. :)

nikoniko 02-24-2006 08:38 PM

Very nice stuff. I like the mix of casual and serious commentary.

The gravestone reminds me that I should put up some of my own pictures sometime. One of the most fascinating cemeteries I've visited was that of the state prison in Huntsville, Texas. All of the tombstones were made by inmates, and moving along the rows going from oldest to newest one could find stories in the stones.

There was a period from about 1910 to 1920 or so when the craftsmanship was thoroughly excellent, and from the character of the text on the stones it seemed each was probably carved by the same individual. Then all of a sudden the quality and style changed. I imagined that the first new stone was that of the previous craftsman.

One tombstone remembered a Mr. James B. Goode. I guess the name was too much to live up to.

Then there was a stretch in the 1990s when they stopped using names on the tombstones and marked only the inmate's prison system number. Some people in this world do terrible, ghastly things, but whatever else we strip away from them as punishment, we shouldn't take away their names.

And at all times, three graves lie open and ready for immediate use.

Tobbe 02-24-2006 09:51 PM

Nice Blog! Do you mind if I asked what kind of camera do you got?

SakSquash 02-24-2006 09:53 PM

Click.

saucyminx 02-25-2006 12:45 AM

I've put up three pictures from my Anatomy class a few days ago and just discovered that TA removed them. :D

SakSquash 02-25-2006 01:04 AM

Why?!

saucyminx 02-25-2006 01:11 AM

No idea. Too gory for the public, probably?

SakSquash 02-25-2006 01:14 AM

Oh god. How stupid. I wanna see them.

saucyminx 02-25-2006 01:24 AM

Try see now if it's there. Quickly before they get removed again.

jjacob 02-25-2006 01:50 AM

Great stuff, though I suspect mr. skeleton has a slight case of toenail fungus :D BTW how far into your studies are you Mira?