You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58
Default CSI - the show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
I don't like the faces, but I suppose I'm one of the few who wants the CSI game to resemble the show as little as possible.
Why not?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:52 PM   #2

Maybe because the forensic equipment and data analysis etc in the CSI series is complete BS.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #3

If only as much forensic experts who work on the show would work on actual cases
Old 02-21-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30
Maybe because the forensic equipment and data analysis etc in the CSI series is complete BS.
So what? Everyone knows that CSI isn't perfectly realistic. Its a TV drama, its meant to be fictional.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:45 AM   #5

I have no problem with the show at all. Fictionalised investigation techniques and the usual TV supercomputers. Love it.

I was just speculating on the answer to your question as to why Junkface might not want a CSI game to resemble the CSI TV program.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:00 AM   #6
Grah! Grah!

In reality, I don't give a shit about realism. My objection lies in the fact that what I've seen of it gives me the impression that it's overly calculated, glossy, crowd-pleasing, Bruckheimerism. But yeah, jp-30's right that I'd also like the game to feel at least somewhat plausible while I'm playing.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
My objection lies in the fact that what I've seen of it gives me the impression that it's overly calculated, glossy, crowd-pleasing, Bruckheimerism.
Well, would that not be exactly like the show? Something tells me, and I could be wrong, that the game will very closely resemble the show. Just a hunch, and a whacky one at that. I mean who knows. Maybe it just resembles the show in name only. Oh, and characters...and style...and plot points...and...
Old 02-22-2006, 06:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
So what? Everyone knows that CSI isn't perfectly realistic. Its a TV drama, its meant to be fictional.
I slightly disagree.

What's the point in the overly long sequenses of forensic investigation when most of it is BS? Wouldn't it be much more interesting to see how it's actually done? Yes, it's a fictional, but CSI isn't Star Trek. They are selling it as a realistic TV-drama.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:56 AM   #9
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Their investigations are pointless when they always boil down to making a soup of garlic and alligator eggs, dancing around a fire and seeing the murderer's name written in the stars.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:10 AM   #10

thing I find most intriguing about CSI and its ilk is the unrealistic expectation jurors have and even freshmen forensic students may have about the field.

This article outlines some worrying trends juries are sometimes displayign courtrooms.

Quote:
But some defense lawyers say CSI and similar shows make jurors rely too heavily on scientific findings and unwilling to accept that those findings can be compromised by human or technical errors.

Prosecutors also have complaints: They say the shows can make it more difficult for them to win convictions in the large majority of cases in which scientific evidence is irrelevant or absent.
Interesting...
Old 02-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #11
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

What? Doesn't anybody watch Law & Order anymore?
Old 02-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordic_guy
I slightly disagree.

What's the point in the overly long sequenses of forensic investigation when most of it is BS? Wouldn't it be much more interesting to see how it's actually done? Yes, it's a fictional, but CSI isn't Star Trek. They are selling it as a realistic TV-drama.
I watch CSI for entertainment value. I feel that it has served that purpose well. How can anyone expect CSI to be completely realistic when they had Quentin Tarantino to direct an episode? I mean we all know HE is the perfect person to turn to for realism

Sorry but I just find all the critisim aimed at CSI is unwarranted. People just like to hate popular TV shows. If CSI wasn't meant for fictional drama entertainment, why the heck would they make a game out of it? Even Police Quest dipped into the unrealistic pool several times.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:45 AM   #13

What?!?!? Police Quest was not realistic? Say it ain't so!! Awww crud! There go my dreams of hooking up with the local hooker and making her my wife.

Though I would have to say its not entirely surprising that people fault CSI for not being realistic. I don't agree with it, and I find it pretty stupid, but thats how some people are. Some people can't take something for what it is. A TV show is supposed to be entertaining?? NO!

I mean there are people who fault Star Trek for not being realistic. Or any number of other shows that push the boundaries for entertainment reasons. Something I've come to understand is that there are always those out there who just don't seem to quite grasp reality. I'm still shocked that Police Quest wasn't completely realistic though...a video game that did not follow reality carte blanche....damn...my world is truly shattered. Along with I'm sure a number of others here who seem to have issue with CSI not being realistic...what will we do....
Old 02-23-2006, 03:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
I watch CSI for entertainment value. I feel that it has served that purpose well. How can anyone expect CSI to be completely realistic when they had Quentin Tarantino to direct an episode? I mean we all know HE is the perfect person to turn to for realism

Sorry but I just find all the critisim aimed at CSI is unwarranted. People just like to hate popular TV shows. If CSI wasn't meant for fictional drama entertainment, why the heck would they make a game out of it? Even Police Quest dipped into the unrealistic pool several times.
I'd watch it more if it wasn't for the Star Trek supercomputers and completely unrealistic crime solving
Old 02-23-2006, 06:16 AM   #15
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Actualy I think they really do have that technology, the reason its set in Las Vegas is cause they are supposed to have the best crime Lab...or so I read somewhere
Old 02-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #16

Sure, they CAN do some of the stuff in the series, like matching fingerprints/DNA/faces etc. to a national database, but it doesn't look that sci-fi in real life, and takes A LOT longer too. I'm just saying it might be more interesting if it were a tad more realistic
Old 02-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #17
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Sure, they CAN do some of the stuff in the series, like matching fingerprints/DNA/faces etc. to a national database, but it doesn't look that sci-fi in real life, and takes A LOT longer too. I'm just saying it might be more interesting if it were a tad more realistic
Yes...I can imagine it now. Watching some guy stare at a scree with nothing happening. On the edge of my seat here

You know there are other forensic shows out there that probably go for the real side, but I think they are more documentary like shows. IMO CSI shouldnt be anyhting but what it is. People dont watch it for the realism, we watch it for the flash and to see what they are going to do to figure out the next crime. Like you said it takes allot longer for them to do those things but they only have a houre to show it, even then its not real time.
And its not like everyhting there is completely fictonal, you learn allot of stuff from it too, they even Hav a real CSI guy that works with them on the show. Its who Grissam is based on
Old 02-23-2006, 06:43 AM   #18

If CSI was 100% realistic, I think it would be amazingly boring.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #19

Then again, crime solving is probably a very boring, albeit dark and gritty job

If it allowed for more realism, it could make it more difficult for the CSI team, no? It'd give the killer(s) more time to commit another murder etc. I don't think it'd be boring. As for the show being only one hour - since when did that ever stop the writers from fast forwarding? (except for 24 ofcourse). It's probably a great show as is, just not my cup of tea entirely.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #20
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Then again, crime solving is probably a very boring, albeit dark and gritty job

If it allowed for more realism, it could make it more difficult for the CSI team, no? It'd give the killer(s) more time to commit another murder etc. I don't think it'd be boring. As for the show being only one hour - since when did that ever stop the writers from fast forwarding? (except for 24 ofcourse). It's probably a great show as is, just not my cup of tea entirely.
Theres been plenty of times where the killer has commited more murders while they were still investigating them, there was even one where the killer knew just as much about forensics as CSI and he got away, they brought him back in a later episode where he had taken a new identity and become a judge