You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #21
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
Btw - to add to suggestions: get a laptop-made processor as opposed to a desktop chip within a laptop. I have a P4 laptop and the thing drains batteries like there is no tomorrow. Basically you want to look for chips especially designed for laptops. I'd post suggestions but I'm not up-to-date considering laptops aren't my specialty.
What laptops have desktop CPU's in them? The P4 in a laptop is not the same as one in a desktop. The Pentium M is much better with battery life, but it's based on the P3, and is part of that family. They're all designed for laptops.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #22
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
What laptops have desktop CPU's in them? The P4 in a laptop is not the same as one in a desktop. The Pentium M is much better with battery life, but it's based on the P3, and is part of that family. They're all designed for laptops.
I know that, but the CPUs that are normally in desktops don't have as many laptop-friendly tweaks as the M for example. The P4 I have doesn't know how to save battery life and runs 100% while its on regardless of whether or not anything is being run.

I'm just saying from experience the P3, P4 and regular celerons drain batteries far more than newer laptop-only CPU models. I may be wrong, but so far I've been proven right by experience.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #23
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
I know that, but the CPUs that are normally in desktops don't have as many laptop-friendly tweaks as the M for example. The P4 I have doesn't know how to save battery life and runs 100% while its on regardless of whether or not anything is being run.

I'm just saying from experience the P3, P4 and regular celerons drain batteries far more than newer laptop-only CPU models. I may be wrong, but so far I've been proven right by experience.
a) The CPU in laptops, are not the CPU in desktops.
b) The Pentium M is based on the P3. The Mobile Pentium 4 is based on the P4.
Therefore, the CPU that are "normally" in desktops don't have as many laptop-friendly tweaks than the Pentium M, because they're not in laptops, ever. Also, the Pentium M, is a Pentium 3, that is "normally" in desktops.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:08 AM   #24
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Yeah, stick clear of Pentium 4 if you want something easily portable. My laptop has a 1.5kg copper heatsink in it to actually cope with the processor .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #25
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Yeah, stick clear of Pentium 4 if you want something easily portable. My laptop has a 1.5kg copper heatsink in it to actually cope with the processor .
That's why I highly recommend the Athlon chip with 'Cool & Quiet' technology.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-25-2006, 02:39 PM   #26
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

You know, it's a shame they called it "Cool & Quiet" technology...

I was kinda' hoping for Cool'n'Quiet™ Tech®, myself...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.