You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2006, 01:18 AM   #1
adventurefan99

Default Spaced

A friend of mine recently lent me a copy of the British comedy series 'Spaced'. While I found it very funny, a lot of the injokes and pop culture references went over my head because I've unfortunately only seen about on tenth of the films being parodied.
I was just wondering of there may be any fans of the series lurking around in the forums who may be able to direct me to a site listing the references used in each episode. I've been to the Spaced-Out fansite and they only appear to list the injokes for the fist four episodes.

Greatly appreciated if anyone could help out....
Old 02-14-2006, 01:30 AM   #2
Chris Barraclough

Allo matey, I'm a big Spaced fan, although I just got into it recently too. If you buy the 3-disc special edition, which contains both series, it has a 'homage o-meter' for each episode. Basically, it's like a subtitle track that runs through the episode and flashes up whenever a reference to a film etc is made, telling you what it is. Definitely useful as a lot of them are easy to miss!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 02-14-2006, 01:34 AM   #3
adventurefan99

Thanks mate, I'll have to get a hold of it. Just a pity I'm in Australia where Spaced was unfortunately never released . Oh well... Ebay here I come!!!
Old 02-14-2006, 01:39 AM   #4

Never heard of that, is it like Red Dwarf or Hyperdrive?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:48 AM   #5
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

No its something similar to Shaun of the Dead but without the zombies
Old 02-14-2006, 01:50 AM   #6
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42yoMan
Thanks mate, I'll have to get a hold of it. Just a pity I'm in Australia where Spaced was unfortunately never released . Oh well... Ebay here I come!!!
Hope you manage to get a copy, haven't checked out the 3rd disc yet but it's worth it just for the 2 series alone.

And JJacob, Spaced is a sitcom starring/written by Simon Pegg from Shaun of the Dead, about a guy and a girl who pretend to be a couple to rent a flat. It's incredibly surreal and very funny, well worth checking out if you like British humour.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 02-14-2006, 02:00 AM   #7
Epinionated.

Worth checking out if you like humour.

Why relegate it to "British humour"?
Old 02-14-2006, 02:01 AM   #8
adventurefan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
No its something similar to Shaun of the Dead but without the zombies
No there's still plenty of zombies.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

You mean social zombies?
Old 02-14-2006, 02:09 AM   #10
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Worth checking out if you like humour.

Why relegate it to "British humour"?
I've got an American mate who thinks it's rubbish, and he hates all British comedy (but likes crap like Friends. Some people!), so just thought that people who aren't fans of British stuff might not 'get' it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42yoMan
No there's still plenty of zombies.
I love that episode, it's my favourite after the paintballing one!

Old 02-14-2006, 02:23 AM   #11
gin soaked boy

<3 Spaced!
<3 Spaced!
<3 Spaced!
<3 Spaced!
<3 Spaced!
<3 Spaced!
<3 Spaced!
Old 02-14-2006, 02:49 AM   #12

Ah, gathered fromt the title and the fact it has parodies it must be something like Red Dwarf Sounds awesome, though I have enough movies and TV series to see at the moment, I'll check it out though. I loved Shaun of the Dead so it would seem right up my alley.

While on the subject of Britith comedy series, I also love League of Gentlemen and Little Britain, awesome shows. Anyone else like that as well?
Old 02-14-2006, 03:24 AM   #13
Epinionated.

It's nothing like Red Dwarf, except funnier. It's more consistent in its hilarity, each episode is pretty self contained (barring some of the weaker second series) and its far more surreal. I'd say they were too different to be comparable - Red Dwarf goes for the quip. Spaced is just a lot cleverer in its wordplay and use of imagery.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:26 AM   #14
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I hate Little Britain. 'Twas unfunny by the second episode, and the fact that it managed to have three series worries me ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
It's nothing like Red Dwarf, except funnier. It's more consistent in its hilarity, each episode is pretty self contained (barring some of the weaker second series) and its far more surreal. I'd say they were too different to be comparable - Red Dwarf goes for the quip. Spaced is just a lot cleverer in its wordplay and use of imagery.
Red Dwarf had some funny episodes, but most were pretty weak, still it killed time better than any soap opera But nuff about that, since it's totally unrelated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I hate Little Britain. 'Twas unfunny by the second episode, and the fact that it managed to have three series worries me ...
It did have some good sketches, though I must agree. League of Gentlemen is untouchable though, but I was pretty disappointed with LOG: Apocalypse, too bad considering the wonderful premise

Still..

"Now, you only get three books"
"I want that one"
"But it's about Chinese history, you don't know anything about Chinese history"
"I want that one"
"Alright, two more books"
"I want that one"
"But it's the same one! You already got that one"
"I want that one"
"Oh alright, now we'll go get the book I was telling you about"
"I want that one"
"But it's in Chinese, you don't know any Chinese do you?"
"I want that one"
"Bollocks, have it your way"
< walk outside the library >
"I can't read"
Priceless.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:56 AM   #16
Chris Barraclough

Hehe, quality. Lou and Andy was one of the few sketches that was consistently funny, although they were kind of stretching even that by the 3rd series. I really think they should have stopped after 2. It was still hit and miss in 1 and 2, but well worth it for Lou and Andy, the dude who fancied his mates grandma, fat fighters etc.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:44 AM   #17

And that "I'm the only gay in the village" sketch was also sheer brilliance
Old 02-14-2006, 05:09 AM   #18
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
And that "I'm the only gay in the village" sketch was also sheer brilliance
Aye, that one was brilliant.

Shut up you big lezzer!!

Old 02-14-2006, 05:39 AM   #19
Schoolgirl From Hell

I love Spaced. I only saw about three episodes, and I enjoyed it. There ya go. You don't have to be British to appreciate it

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 02-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #20
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

42yoMan, which versions of the DVDs are you watching? If it's from the "both seasons in one boxed set" with the Star Wars parody on the cover, one of the special features on the discs is a "reference-o-meter" thing which, when turned on, will identify in-jokes and references source material.

If you have the old individual disc sets, that feature only exists for season 2.

I hope I'm not making this up, but that's what Edgar Wright (the director) said in an interview I read at one point.