You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Winter Olympics 2006 in Turin, Italy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #41
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Yes and we also won a silver medal in the Ski Jumping competition.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #42
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Yep, too bad that Janne Ahonen didn't get the gold medal he has been waiting for for so long now though.

And let's not even mention Hannu Manninen's ninth place in Nordic Combined. Was quite a big disappointment, but he didn't seem too disappointed himself, so I guess there's no reason for me to be either then.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #43

Quote:
We won the gold and the bronze.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #44
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriD
We won the gold and the bronze.
You can thank the irregular wind conditions for that. I'm quite confident that Ahonen would have won if the last few jumpers would have had the same conditions as the earlier jumpers had. But there's nothing one can do about that anyway, it's sports.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #45

Ireen Wust got the gold medal on the 3 km track! First gold for NL, Yay!
The Dutch own the ice skating track
Old 02-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #46
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playing_games
Stoofa, any reason why you hate Michelle Kwan? She has been one of the most accomplished figure skater ever. Maybe not the most athletic but one of the most graceful and beatiful skater ever. She's also from what I can tell is a nice person. This will probably be her last Olympics. I;m hoping she medals but like I said it will be tough.
I find her really really really boring. She's boring and rehearsed in interviews, she just gives safe answers and repeats things word for word from one interview to the next. Her routines are tedious and always the same, just endless rehashes of Michelle skating around in figure 8's in a dull Vera Wang costume to Enya or whatever. I don't recall her ever doing a fun show piece after the competition, she tends to just do her competition routines again. Plus the press' treatment of her reminds me of Nancy Kerrigan. Pwetty Pwincess of figure skating! Yuck.

She knocked Emily Hughes out of the third spot to the Olympics when she MUST have known her groin wasn't totally healed and, of course, she's now had to pull out of the competition.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:19 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
But back to topic, Finland got a bronze medal in half pipe. Yay!
And the good ole America won Gold and Silver in half pipe. The American broadcasters kept saying how Finland had a strong team and they are just about the only team who can challenge the American dominance. The Flying Tomato was awesome. Apparently, he has a crash on American figure skater Sasha Cohen. It was reported that he hoped that Sasha digs gold because that might win him some points with her. Isn't it a wonderful thing to be 19, a world champion, and oh so naive?

The American team had an up and down Sunday. Some called the day Black Sunday because, Bode Miller didn't medal in Downhill, and Apollo Anton Ono didn't even make it into the finals. The much publicized confrontation between the Korean short track skaters and Ono didn't materialize. Korean skaters won Gold and Silver in men's 1,500 m short track. I was very disappointed that Ono missed out on the finals.

It's a shame about Michelle Kwan. She had to pull out due to injury. It was heart breaking, as a fan, for me to see her doing the interview and trying to put forward a good face by saying that she has been blessed and accomplished a lot as a figure skater and not winning the Olympic Gold doesn't mean a whole lot, which probably wasn't even true as she was trying to choke back tear throuout the interview.

Peggy Fleming said that we are not likely to see anyone matching Michelle's accomplishments as she doesn't see anyone coming close to winning nine US national titles like Michelle has done. I have been following figure skating a long time and I tend to agree with her. It's too bad she had to end her Olympics career without even getting a chance to skate.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #48

Quote:
Isn't it a wonderful thing to be 19, a world champion, and oh so naive?
He's not naive. He knows what he's doing.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #49

I'm not liking all these drops from the Finnish men's hockey team.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #50
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I'm not liking all these drops from the Finnish men's hockey team.
Yeah, I know. It's starting to look like Finland needs a minor miracle to even get a medal. It's a conspiracy I'm telling you!
Old 02-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #51

During the broadcast of the halfpipe event, the American broadcasters said that the reason Finland is so good in halfpipe is that the mountains in Finland are small and halfpipe developed fast as a result of that. I guess they were saying that you do not need the high mountains and large territory that you need for ski for halfpipe snowboarding. Are they right? I always thought that Finland is a rugged country with impressive mountains.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #52

Quote:
During the broadcast of the halfpipe event, the American broadcasters said that the reason Finland is so good in halfpipe is that the mountains in Finland are small and halfpipe developed fast as a result of that. I guess they were saying that you do not need the high mountains and large territory that you need for ski for halfpipe snowboarding. Are they right? I always thought that Finland is a rugged country with impressive mountains.
The broadcasters are right. Finland doesn't have too many large mountains, which is why cross country is more popular than downhill. That could also explain why halfpipe has become popular, because the downhill isn't as exciting. Another reason could be that it's just cool. America has a whole lot of mountains, but halfpipe is still popular because it's an easier way to showoff to more people.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #53
Lazy Bee

Quote:
I always thought that Finland is a rugged country with impressive mountains.
Norweig has got the high mountains. Sweden also has mountains (same mountain chain as Norweig) but not as high.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:03 PM   #54
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

We just beat USA in Curling, I'm happy.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #55

Finland is "the country with a thousand lakes."

Quote:
We just beat USA in Curling, I'm happy.
We lost 11-5 to USA. But we`re just warming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
Norweig
???
Old 02-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #56
Roar?

Figure skating fans you MUST watch the pairs skate tonight for one of those incredible Olympics moments. Zhang and Zhang are amazing (and I'm not talking about the quad throw).
Old 02-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #57
Dungeon Master

Agreed. Just watched them, completely by chance (missed all the previous pairs, though). Wow, I'm still shaken.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:08 AM   #58
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriD
???
SORRY!!
I think I started to write something about Norweigan mountains....
By the way, my husband is starting to get upset with all your medals.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:11 AM   #59
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
Figure skating fans you MUST watch the pairs skate tonight for one of those incredible Olympics moments. Zhang and Zhang are amazing (and I'm not talking about the quad throw).
I watched it. They were beautiful. I cannot belive she could continue after she fell.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:27 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
By the way, my husband is starting to get upset with all your medals.
Hehe