You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Winter Olympics 2006 in Turin, Italy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Lots of old guys in the Olympics. These are going to be the last Olympics games for so many great hockey players.
Out of 23 players Melanie listed, I only recognize 13 of them. I'm guessing that the American team will be soundly trounced. Bob Esche plays for the Philadelphia team, right? I guess he will be starting?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #22
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

For example Finland has Teemu Selänne, this is going to be his last time in the Olympics. The second best Finnish hockey player ever.

I'm not sure who will be the starting goalie for Team USA, it could be anyone of those three.
Brian Rafalski is an awesome defenseman, he used to play in HIFK Helsinki some years ago in the Finnish SM-Liiga.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 02-10-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #23
Mostly absent

Quote:
I'm not sure who will be the starting goalie for Team USA, it could be anyone of those three.
Isn't Esche still half-injured though? He has been for a long time now, that's why Niittymäki has been playing so much for the Flyers. I think he has been getting better, but don't think he's well yet. I think DiPietro will be the starting goalie.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #24
Roar?

I cannot WAIT for Olympic hockey - men's and women's. I nearly died from delight when last time both our men's and women's teams defeated the States to win gold. Esp. since the US women were playing so dirty.

I am interested to watch speed skating too. Last Olympic's speed skating was awesome and full of drama and divas.

I hate Michelle Kwan.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
I cannot WAIT for Olympic hockey - men's and women's. I nearly died from delight when last time both our men's and women's teams defeated the States to win gold. Esp. since the US women were playing so dirty.

I am interested to watch speed skating too. Last Olympic's speed skating was awesome and full of drama and divas.

I hate Michelle Kwan.
Stoofa, any reason why you hate Michelle Kwan? She has been one of the most accomplished figure skater ever. Maybe not the most athletic but one of the most graceful and beatiful skater ever. She's also from what I can tell is a nice person. This will probably be her last Olympics. I;m hoping she medals but like I said it will be tough.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:36 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Hee, hee

Old 02-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #27
Lazy Bee

I absolutely love the winter olympics. I lived in the north of Sweden during the 80th. (Neighbour to you Kolzig, on the other side of "Bottenviken" in Holmsund where the ferrys from Vasa arrives. Vaasanlaivat!!) And I love skiing!!
Watch out of Anja Pärsson in alpine skiing. I always become a nervous wreck when she´s skiing but she will most likely win some kind of medal or two.
I also have big hopes for the sprint(crosscountry) skiers. Don´t know the correct expression in english.
I´m not sure about the icehockey team though.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #28
The Reggienator

Heheh, if only Vaasan laivat would still exist... that was great company.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #29
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Heheh, if only Vaasan laivat would still exist... that was great company.
Last summer I heard there were ferrytraffic between Umeå/Holmsund and Vaasa, but more for trucks not those partyboats that used to be.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #30
The Reggienator

Yeah, there has been no Vaasan laivat here for many, many years now. After it disappeared, Silja Line took it's place. Now they are gone too and only RG Line exists and they mainly just use a ship to transport trucks and other sorts of cargo between Umeå and Vaasa.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #31
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Yeah, there has been no Vaasan laivat here for many, many years now. After it disappeared, Silja Line took it's place. Now they are gone too and only RG Line exists and they mainly just use a ship to transport trucks and other sorts of cargo between Umeå and Vaasa.
I travelled by Silja Line between Stockholm and Helsinki. It was brilliant!

OK, that's all I wanted to say.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by playing_games

It's amazing how hockey at the Olympics is not generating any sort of excitement among American sports fans. There's absolutely no buzz what so ever.

It was the same back in 1980. People didn't pay any attention to the hockey team until they started winning.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #33

I wish hockey was more popular in American, because right now I can see a number of basketball games every day, but there's only like five hockey games shown during a week.

Spoiler for women's hockey USA-Sui:
Spoiler:
going with kiemer what kiemer said, maybe USA's stomping of Switzerland will help.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #34

Sven Kramer got Silver on the 5KM track! I hope we get many more medals
Old 02-12-2006, 12:34 AM   #35
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by playing_games
Stoofa, any reason why you hate Michelle Kwan? She has been one of the most accomplished figure skater ever. Maybe not the most athletic but one of the most graceful and beatiful skater ever. She's also from what I can tell is a nice person. This will probably be her last Olympics. I;m hoping she medals but like I said it will be tough.

Looks likw Kwan has gone home injured.

Sad end to her Olympic career.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:00 AM   #36
Epinionated.

If you guys are interested, Turin has at last been updated on Google Earth. I can see where I used to live, heheh, but it gives you a good idea of the outlying area. Unfortunately I don't think the biggest mountain is being used for the olympics. Here's a wiki for you too -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turin

A beautiful city sadly passed by for uglier places like Milan. At least now it's getting the attention it deserves.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:53 AM   #37
Lazy Bee

What can you say.... Not even a broken ski stops the Norwegians to win a medal!! Frode Estil broke his ski right at the start in todays 2x15 km race. Before he got away he was more than a minute behind, but still comes in second!!
Applause to a great skiing nation!!!/ envious Swede
Old 02-12-2006, 08:14 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
What can you say.... Not even a broken ski stops the Norwegians to win a medal!! Frode Estil broke his ski right at the start in todays 2x15 km race. Before he got away he was more than a minute behind, but still comes in second!!
Applause to a great skiing nation!!!/ envious Swede
Hehe... Thank you.

But Anders Sødergren almost made it.

I really hope Sweden get gold medal(s) in the olympics, they deserve it.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #39
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriD
I really hope Sweden get gold medal(s) in the olympics, they deserve it.
Thanks!!!!
We do, but we have a tendency not to deliver. Anja P is an exception though. Very "unswedish" in attitude.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:16 AM   #40
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
I travelled by Silja Line between Stockholm and Helsinki. It was brilliant!

OK, that's all I wanted to say.
Well, I would hardly call those ships brilliant, but as transportation they're great. The way things are going now soon there maybe won't be a Silja Line, as it's probably soon gonna be chopped into pieces and sold to the highest bidder.

But back to topic, Finland got a bronze medal in half pipe. Yay!