You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
Roar?

Default Is this right?

There is a company that sends everyone at my work a flyer each month, and each month the flyer advertises a contest that we can enter online. I always enter the contests, because I am an optimistic nerd, but then totally forget about it until the next flyer comes along.

One of my many bosses called me today (i've been home sick for awhile) to tell me that a couriered package had come for me from the office supplies company, and that it said, "contest winnings." I got all excited and asked her to open it, she said it's an IPOD NANO! and then said, "but I'm pretty sure this is property of the company, not you. Do you deal with Office Supplies Company outside of work? Maybe then I could say it was actually yours." What the ****ing ****? That is MY iPod. I entered the contest, the iPod arrived addressed to ME. Does this sound right to anyone?

I am especially annoyed because I've been home sick since the beginning of January, I feel like ass and I am really frightened of what my doctor's tests are beginning to show is going on with me. Instead of being supportive this woman has instead been making comments about how hard it is for HER and the other people at work to deal with the workload with me gone. She will also ask me about how I'm feeling, how my new medication is affecting me, etc., and then make a snide comment regarding my answer. I was so excited to hear about the iPod (I haven't had anything good happen to me since December) and she has to go and piss all over it. GRR.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
merely human

It had your name on it, didn't it? It was addressed to you. Consult your lawyer and don't let the fact that it's your boss who is giving you a hard time about. Remember, there most likely was never a clause in the contract you signed upon employment there that if you win a contest you entered while at work the prize automatically goes to your employer.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-08-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Roar?

My boss IS a lawyer, she should know better. I could threaten to take her to small claims court, she wouldn't be too thrilled about that (gossip travels fast in the lawyer world). I checked my work e-mail and there are emails from the office supply company notifying me that I won the iPod. Proof right there that it was meant for me, not the company.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
merely human

Exactly. I would look into it if I were you. Don't let her position of authority intimidate you. After all, you never entered the contest as a representative of your employer. Definitely consult your personal lawyer and ask him/her to possibly refer it to another lawyer. Then tell your boss - tactfully - that you did so:

"I wasn't exactly sure how this contest and the policy here works, so I'm currently talking to my lawyer about it and he/she is also consulting his/her colleagues."

...and hopefully that'll startle her enough to give up your rightful prize to you.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-08-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Where is the Ipod at the moment? Has she took it upon herself to commandeer it or is it being stored somewhere untill the whole thing is sorted out?
Old 02-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Banned User

Greedy bitch. Just tell her it's yours, and you have the email to prove it.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #7

If the office supply company has a formal business relationship with your company, things could get complicated. The company I work for for example has an explicit policy regarding situations like this. Your company might have a similar policy.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
merely human

Like I stated, Stoofa, find out what your employer's policy is (get copies of all the contracts you signed pending your employment there, you have the right to it) and consult your own lawyer. Also, find out what the conditions are of the contest of that office supply company.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
woof

I would watch, this sounds like she is just trying to get this for herself, I mean what the hell would a company need an iPod for!?
Old 02-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
merely human

Her lawyer sounds like an opportunistic leech, Karmillo. I mean she makes good money, she can buy herself a damn iPod. But if she's intent on stashing the prize as company property, you just know it's out of resentment towards Stoofa. People can be such petty assses.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Her lawyer sounds like an opportunistic leech, Karmillo. I mean she makes good money, she can buy herself a damn iPod. But if she's intent on stashing the prize as company property, you just know it's out of resentment towards Stoofa. People can be such petty assses.
Not necessarily. When you work for a large company, breaking a company policy can be a reason for immediate dismissal. Companies are especially touchy about their employees' relationship with their vendors.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #12
Psychonaut

You would never have had knowledge of the competition if it wasn't for a supplier at work.

It could be seen as a work benefit and as such all gains are the proprty of the work.

Not sure about it.

She's probably snaffled it for herself. Even if you don't get to keep it I would make sure you know what happened to it so that some other greedy git hasn't stolen it.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #13
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by playing_games
Not necessarily. When you work for a large company, breaking a company policy can be a reason for immediate dismissal. Companies are especially touchy about their employees' relationship with their vendors.
None of us know that for sure, playing_games. She could very well be using company policy to her personal advantage in this case.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #14
Banned User

You should totally steal from her.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #15

Quote:
None of us know that for sure, playing_games. She could very well be using company policy to her personal advantage in this case.
This is true.

What I would do is to tell the boss that I'd like to contact the HR department to get a clarafication on how situations like this is supposed to be handled. That way she would know outside people will be aware of the situation. If I want to keep my job though, the last thing I would do is to antagonize my boss over an Ipod so I'd be polite about the whole thing.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #16
merely human

Like I advised Stoofa, this should be handled tactfully.

BTW, my sister is a Meetings Coordinator for the American Bar Association in Chicago. I think I'll call her about this and maybe she can consult with a lawyer there and let me know how their policy works.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #17
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Your boss just may have the law on her side, even if she has no common decency. It's too bad you asked her to open it instead of forwarding it to you. You could get her on mail tampering. You also need to contact the vendor offering the prize - they may have regulations prohibiting the winnings to go to a company, instead of an individual.

BTW, sorry to hear you haven't been well - and I hope your latest round of tests come back with good news.

Lynsie
Old 02-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #18
Roar?

You guys are astoundingly fast! I leave my computer to have some dinner and talk to my family and I come back to 16 replies!

Quote:
Like I stated, Stoofa, find out what your employer's policy is (get copies of all the contracts you signed pending your employment there, you have the right to it) and consult your own lawyer. Also, find out what the conditions are of the contest of that office supply company.
Good idea, I will do this. I am in a union, so I can easily e-mail my rep and ask her what the company policy is. I looked on the office supply company's web site (they have a camera up for grabs now) and the contest rules are only, "Contest Terms and Conditions: All entries must be received no later than Feb. 28, 2006. Draw will take place March 3, 2006. Prize may not be exactly as shown." Hmm. Not very clear. HOWEVER, they post the names of previous contest winners. They do not list what company the person worked for, only their name and their city. This supplier does not sell to individuals, only to companies, but all of their contests are directed towards their customers' employees.

I honestly don't know why this is an issue. It's an iPod. Who has an office iPod? That's ridiculous. The contest did not say anything like, "win your office an iPod!" I don't think she wants it for herself, she's technologically challenged. She is just one of those people who is a stickler for rules, real or imagined. For example, if I owed her $3.46 for a coffee and only had $3.45 she would make sure that I gave her that penny ASAP.

Luckily she is not my only boss. The Uber-Boss is away right now, when she comes back I am definitely asking her about this iPod issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Where is the Ipod at the moment? Has she took it upon herself to commandeer it or is it being stored somewhere untill the whole thing is sorted out?
She told me she hid it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
You should totally steal from her.
Dude, I wish. But then she'd have a heart attack (she's incredibly neurotic) and I'd feel incredibly guilty. I've already tried gently teasing her, she has no sense of humour. Once as a joke I signed her up to bring a "roasted suckling pig" to our very very informal work potluck and she FLIPPED OUT. "I've never cooked a whole pig before?! Where can I buy a piglet? OHMYGOOODDDD." I think she even cried. Bad move on my part. I felt terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairygdmther
BTW, sorry to hear you haven't been well - and I hope your latest round of tests come back with good news
Thank you very much!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #19

Kill her. Nobody would care, as she is a lawyer. Repeat: Kill her, she is a lawyer.

Mike
Old 02-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #20
woof

If all else fails you could go out in style, get in your car and drive through the window, then drive into her office and as you pass her jamming down with your iPod, snatch it and continue drive out another window!

Dukes of Hazard style!

Last edited by Karmillo; 02-08-2006 at 08:23 PM.