You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Journey Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 01:47 AM   #41
Chris Barraclough

Me too! This journey just got a lot hotter...

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 02-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #42
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

The Thrift Gods have smiled on me once again!
Today's haul:
An AC converter to fit the PowerBook 520C I bought over a year ago (These were made during the height of Apple's proprietary engineering/"Every connector we use must be completely different from every connector everyone else uses" period, and this particular AC converter won't even work with most other Apple laptops. A one-in-a-million chance)- $6.99
A SCSI cord to fit Apple laptops- $3.99
A heavy cast-iron pan for making something (cookies? cornbread? mini quiches?) in the shapes of card suits: Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds, and Spades. Odd, but kitchen decorative- $3.99
The Thrift Gods tried their best to get me to buy a Tangerine 333MHz iMac, but $149.99 was just too much for that particular model. It had already been marked down once, so I'll keep an eye on it. If it hits $100 or less, I might bite. It's just soooo orange though.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #43
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

You mean it would clash with your living room?
Old 02-21-2006, 06:12 PM   #44
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Thrift store selling stuff for $100? i thought most of the stuff ended up being something like 50p
Old 02-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #45
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
You mean it would clash with your living room?
Actually, since my living room walls are painted a color called "Autumn Squash", it would almost match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Thrift store selling stuff for $100? I thought most of the stuff ended up being something like 50p.
A lot of it is, but working computers, better furniture, and cars go for much more. I've paid as much as $150 for a 233MHz Bondi iMac (three years ago, it was maxed-out on RAM, it had all it's original documentation and CDs, and it also came with a bag full of additional software CDs) and $350 for an '87 Buick Century which I drove for five years.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #46
Translate Me

Hey, if anybody knows thrift stores, it's our Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
The Thrift Gods tried their best to get me to buy a Tangerine 333MHz iMac, but $149.99 was just too much for that particular model. It had already been marked down once, so I'll keep an eye on it. If it hits $100 or less, I might bite.
I'd hold out for the "or less". Do you keep an eye on your local Craigslist? Close to me, the old iMacs can usually be had for a decent price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
$350 for an '87 Buick Century which I drove for five years
Thrift stores down there sell cars?
Old 02-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #47
Banned User

Scott, what did I tell you about buying things second hand?
Old 02-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #48
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by doroposo
Hey, if anybody knows thrift stores, it's our Scott.
It's a gift. My cheapness knows no bounds. I'm still a bit ticked that my favorite thrift store in Reno closed.

[QUOTE=doroposo]I'd hold out for the "or less". Do you keep an eye on your local Craigslist? Close to me, the old iMacs can usually be had for a decent price.
Thanks for the link! I wasn't really in the market for yet another iMac, but a good deal would be hard to pass up. Now a B&W Rev. B G4 tower, on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doroposo
Thrift stores down there sell cars?
Yep. If I'd get off my lazy butt and unclog it's stopped-up catalytic converter, the Buick would still run fine.

Share the love.

<3