You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Presidential IQ's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #21
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Mistah Lacey:

While I've never joined Mensa, I've been a part of a few "gifted people" programs locally. There were usually two main reasons to join.

One, the same general reason why geeks like to hang out with other geeks... it's nice to be around people who are less likely to suffer glazed eyes and/or start snoring when you talk. Or, if you're a kid, less likely to tease you and beat you up for your abilities/interests.

Two, bragging rights. Not my personal cup of tea, but history shows that many human beings like feeling they're superior than others. ;P

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."

Last edited by Jeysie; 01-26-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #22
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulzern
The IQ doesn't say how intelligent you are (contrary to the meaning of the abbreviation),
It doesn't, not factually, but it tries to. I'm pointing it out because of what you said in brackets. The abbreviation is for "intelligence quotient" for a reason, rather than not.

Notably, formally intelligence is something far, far different than what most people colloquially seem to think it is, too, so perhaps that's what you're getting at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulzern
Also, tests taken online do not count at all, only tests done by qualified psychiatrists should count.
"Do not count at all"? How about "count significantly less". That really seems ]strongly exaggerated to me. Note, I'm not one to talk, since I exaggerate all the time - but hey.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 01-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #23
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Note, I'm not one to talk, since I exaggerate all the time
No, not really.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #24
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
One, the same general reason why geeks like to hang out with other geeks... it's nice to be around people who are less likely to suffer glazed eyes and/or start snoring when you talk. Or, if you're a kid, less likely to tease you and beat you up for your abilities/interests.
I dunno... I know of plenty of geeky people I could go speak to who don't necessarily have a Mensa-level IQ...

Quote:
Two, bragging rights. Not my personal cup of tea, but history shows that many human beings like feeling they're superior than others. ;P
I suppose so, but haven't we all just been saying that IQ really isn't that important? Maybe people just like press attention or have overly pushy parents or something.

These kind of posts could probably be used to declare me "jealous", mind you...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #25
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
No, not really.

lol, AFGNCAAP. You know I love you. Can I have your babies?

...wait, I don't like kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I suppose so, but haven't we all just been saying that IQ really isn't that important?
Yeah, but just because we realise it doesn't mean everyone else does. IQ is a pretty big thing with most people. And like I said, even those who don't consider it practically important occasionally still like playing with the numbers. Well. Um. Me, at least.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #26
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
...wait, I don't like kids.
That's hardly important.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #27
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
I dunno... I know of plenty of geeky people I could go speak to who don't necessarily have a Mensa-level IQ...
Well, I didn't mean that the two groups were the same, just that, for me at least, the motivation is similar. Most people like to be in groups where they feel like they're normal... or at least where people don't treat them like a freak.

Even in my so-called "honor/advanced" classes, people kind of treated me like an outsider, albeit a respected one. I mean, for instance, when you have the other kids in your class grabbing your test results to help them figure out why they got their own tests wrong, it makes you feel, well, like a freak of nature. It's nice to be in a situation where you feel like something other than "The Resident Braniac", which is easier when you're around other "smart people".

(Though, I do think that "being smart" has more to do with people's perceptions rather than any real difference in brainpower.)

Quote:
I suppose so, but haven't we all just been saying that IQ really isn't that important? Maybe people just like press attention or have overly pushy parents or something.
Pink more or less explained this part, but all I can say is... dude, people have been inventing half-baked ideas to think they're superior than others ever since men came out of the trees, looked around before clothing was invented, and said "Me pee stick bigger you pee stick."

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 01-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #28
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
Dude, people have been inventing half-baked ideas to think they're superior than others ever since men came out of the trees, looked around before clothing was invented, and said "Me pee stick bigger you pee stick."
I think that's a candidate for the quote thread, I haven't laughed that hard in a while! Being an elitist pig myself, I'm going to adopt that. Hush now, I know I'm female. Maybe it'll add to the humour.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢