You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #61
Translate Me

Yeah, that might be Topos. In the one I went to, the basement floor was devoted to software, and also had some arcade machines for play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
As for the resteraunt, it was based around Tanuki (racoons) and featured one of those wonderful big Tanuki statues at the entrance with the massive testicles. Snapped a pic of one in the street too. Coolio!
They always remind me of the old Infocom game, Leather Goddesses of Phobos. Here's why:

Spoiler:
There's a machine in the game called a T-Remover. Anything you put inside comes backs out with all the letters 't' removed from its name. So, for instance if you put some 'tea' in, you'd get some 'ea' out. I had the brilliant idea to stick some 'cotton balls' in it... you can probably deduce what I ended up with.

By the way, you might show my avatar to your cousin and see if he recognizes it. The title is a clue to its nature if he doesn't.

Last edited by nikoniko; 01-26-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:30 PM   #62
Schoolgirl From Hell

I gave SJH a call, today. The skinny sod sounded very happy and excited. He went to Studio Ghibli with his cousin, and I got the feeling that he almost bought the whole gift shop while he was there. Typical . See what happens when I'm not around him. I'm going to let him tell you guys everything himself when he pops in later, though.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 01-27-2006, 01:11 PM   #63
Translate Me

He must've picked up at least a Totoro or two. It is Japanese law that everyone who visits Ghibli must buy a Totoro.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #64
Epinionated.

No, I didn't buy a Totoro, mainly because the stuffed ones weren't very good. And I didn't buy a Catbus either, despite clinging onto one all the way to the counter. BUT I did buy a beautiful Jiji from Kiki's delivery service, my favourite film of all of the Ghibli cannon. I also got my mum a Kiki toy set with a wonderfully sculpted Kiki riding her broom with Jiji on the front. The little black cat is one of my favourite characters in animation, as he's so well done and animated!

I also got myself a book on Howls Moving Castle, difference being it's a massive paper sculpture you create yourself by cutting and gluing all the pieces together. Superb!

Later on my cousin bent my arm and confused me into buying Metroid Pinball on DS, which is the best Pinball game there is I've played, bar none. Including Devil wossname on the Genesis. Heheh. No more spending for a while now, although looking at the MP3 player prices... it may have to be done...
Old 01-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #65
merely human

Goddamnit I want a Jiji, too!!!! And a catbus!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #66
Translate Me

Trepsie, if you really want your own Jiji and Catbus, I can pick them up for you next time I'm there. Shipping from Japan to the US isn't expensive. There's something I've got to pick up as well which I haven't been able to find in any other stores.

If I had a bus, I would so be doing a Catbus mod:

Except my Catbus would have moving legs and be able to leap up big hills and run along the top of power lines and... well, maybe I'd just start with the moving legs.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #67
Epinionated.

Me and my cousin on a castle in the sky, yesterday!
Old 01-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #68
Translate Me

Uh, guys, don't be alarmed... but there seems to be a giant robot behind you. Just move away carefully one step at a time, don't make any sudden movements, and there's a slim chance you'll survive I'm sure you'll be just fine, just fine...

Last edited by nikoniko; 01-27-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:28 AM   #69
Epinionated.

Got another with me looking scared on my cousins phone, lol! Dunno where it is though!

When to a Buddhist shrine today... Little Edo north of Tokyo, one of the oldest parts around here... Japanese buildings have a tendency to burn down back in the day, being made of wood and all. Had some good food, but will post more soon!
Old 01-28-2006, 01:50 AM   #70
Schoolgirl From Hell

I thought you said it's snowing in Japan..?

Old 01-28-2006, 01:58 AM   #71
Epinionated.

No, clear skies. It snowed last week and icy patches and snow piles are still about tho...

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1343/img11524fs.jpg
TANUKI FEVER!!!!

Holy crap. Could someone resize that? LOL!

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 01-29-2006 at 06:41 AM. Reason: replaced the picture with a link
Old 01-28-2006, 03:50 AM   #72
Translate Me

For those without 30" monitors...

Old 01-28-2006, 03:59 AM   #73
Translate Me

Quote:
Japanese buildings have a tendency to burn down back in the day, being made of wood and all.
Few temples even last long enough to burn down. Most are torn down and completely rebuilt exactly as before on a regular basis, some as often as every 20 years. When the Japanese tell you a temple is hundreds of years old, they mean that the first time it was built was that long ago. Except for some of the stone castles, there are very few old buildings with any original materials in Japan. Some apartment buildings have stood longer than the temples you'll see. It's an interesting philosophy, really.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #74
Schoolgirl From Hell

Apparently SJH accidentally looked up a Japanese schoolgirl's insanely short skirt while he was on a train. I'll let him tell the rest of the story while I decide whether or not to gouge his eyes

Short skirt is all the rage there, isn't it? In my country, any girl whose pinafore skirt is shorter than her knee will get a disciplinary hearing.

*sighs* Sometimes I do miss the school uniform... well, not that much

Old 01-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #75
Translate Me

At school, the skirt is worn level with the top of the knee; as soon as school is over and the girls step out the doors, their skirts magically rise a few inches higher. A lot of stores also sell "fashion uniforms", which are like real uniforms but much racier... tight tops and very short skirts. On the weekend especially, you'll see these girls gather in groups of two or three and hang out downtown where they can compete with other girl groups for attention from the guys.

It's more of an urban thing, though. Where I live there's not much downtown for teens to escape away from their parents, so you see this behavior much less.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #76
Schoolgirl From Hell

Even though I hate Sailormoon, she and her posse do look good in those outfits

Old 01-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #77
merely human

Quote:
No, clear skies. It snowed last week and icy patches and snow piles are still about tho...

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1343/img11524fs.jpg
TANUKI FEVER!!!!

Holy crap. Could someone resize that? LOL!
squaresie, just take the image tag out and keep it as a link. some of us are still on dial up connection.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #78
Schoolgirl From Hell

Ha ha! You got told off! SJH is a raccoon head

Old 01-28-2006, 04:54 PM   #79
Epinionated.

My post can't be edited for some reason. I tried as soon as I posted yesterday and it wouldn't do it.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #80
Translate Me

Hehehe... the power of Tanuki defies you!