You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat I'm looking for good books of important historical news photography

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester
Default I'm looking for good books of important historical news photography

I've been toying with oblique political themes in my art for a while now (such as this little baby) and I've been looking for more and more compelling symbols to toy with. On that note, books of good old, high-res news photography are really hard to come by. Since the internet often proves amazingly unhelpful, for every sketch, print or painting I tend to spend days at the library looking through ridiculous piles of reference material, looking for shit of just the right fidelity. For example, I went through months and months of the relevant era of the New York Times and the Washington Post microfilms looking for the famous photo of Nixon getting off the plane and doing his victory salute. Not being able to find it anywhere, I had to photograph myself in a suit and superimpose a random publicity glossy.

I need reference books with a lot of ripe historical personages (people, American or otherwise, who have become symbols), and also old photographs that reverberate in everyone's consciousness--you know, relevant news photography. I wouldn't mind DVD-ed documentaries either--frames of which can be captured for my purposes.

Any specific things I should look for, or pointers on how to look, or where to look?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:39 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Life Photographers: What They Saw

Great News Photos and the Stories Behind Them

The World's great news photos, 1840-1980

Great moments in news photography, from the historical files of the National Press Photographers Association

These are from Alibris.com. I searched for news photography. You might try Powells as well.

I hope someone else pipes in too. It's early and my researching faculties aren't 100%

Last edited by Melanie68; 01-23-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Domo arigato.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
with extra cheese!

For some reason Reuters sent my dad some of their photography books awhile back - fascinating stuff. 'Frontlines' sounds like it'd be the most relevant to your research.

Nice milk carton by the way!
and all the signs that should show me what's right and what's wrong have been knocked down, shaken and smothered by previous lovers and non-descript others like me, who don't know what it's for, all I know is that I want more.