You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Cat person? Dog person? Or both?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Trep, have you ever seen Are You Being Served?
Old 01-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #22
merely human

omg, you have NO idea how much i LOVE that sitcom!

"I'm free, Mrs. Slokum!"

*giggles*
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #23
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
omg, you have NO idea how much i LOVE that sitcom!

"I'm free, Mrs. Slokum!"

*giggles*
OMG! I love it too. Its extremely funny. MUAH!

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #24
merely human

So you dog lovers will know, here is a pic of my pussy from back then when it was just 11 weeks old. I mean how can you say no to a pussy after seeing this:

I miss him sometimes.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #25
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
...they're attention whores.
So you mean cats *aren't* attention whores?
I must say that I disagree.

Every time I'm visiting a friend of mine that has a cat, and also his neighbours cats visit the place for food and other stuff, those cats always come to the room where we are and they start walking on the keyboards etc. and won't leave until they've got our full attention.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #26
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I'm very much a cat person.

I'll admit that I'm kind of biased against dogs in the matter... when I was very young I got attacked by a dog. For the longest time I was really scared of dogs and would cry and run away every time I saw one. Over the years I've lost most of my fear, but I still feel rather wary around dogs, especially large dogs or dogs that try to jump all over you... and very especially large dogs that try to jump all over you.

Still, though, cats have a lot of aspects that suit me.

For one, I've never really understood why cats have a reputation of being aloof and unloving. There are *some* cats that are very aloof and stand-offish, but I don't find it to be a universal trait. I've met aloof cats, I've met mean cats, I've met playful cats, I've met affectionate love sponge cats. It all depends on the cat.

I will admit that cats are very cautious and can sense what a person's intentions are... they generally are wary around strangers until they decide the person in question isn't going to do horrible things to them, and it's a far cry from dogs, who usually are a lot more open and trusting. But with enough patience and showing you're harmless, even aloof cats can be coaxed into being friendly.

I remember the time I went along with my mother to visit one of her friends, and while the adults talked I concentrated on wooing the lady's shy cat over. I spent a fair bit of time just sitting quietly, cooing at the cat in a friendly voice, patting the floor to have my hand sniffed, and such. Eventually it all paid off, and I ended up with a happy purring cat in my lap soaking up petting, and my mom's friend staring at me in disbelief exclaming, "I have never seen her get that close to a stranger before!"

My current cat, though, is an absolute love sponge. He loves to lay on my roommate's legs when my roommate is sitting on our couch, and he loves to lay on my computer desk and nudge me to pet him. He alternates between sleeping on both of our beds at night, and whenever I or my roommate wake up in the morning, or return home from being out, Rainy will roll around on the floor at our feet until we pet him, then walk around rubbing our legs. Cats are aloof, indeed.

For two, cats are easy to care for. You give 'em a dish of cat food, a dish of water, and a litterbox to poo in, and they're all set. You don't need to walk them, and if they're an indoor cat you don't generally need to fuss with bathing. And, as Colpet mentioned, they don't need quite as much constant attention as dogs do... though as Kolzig mentioned, they can be kind of demanding when they *do* need attention.

For three, I find cats more cuddly than dogs. I prefer being rubbed to being licked (although there are some cats who like licking people), and I find having a cat in my lap or laying on me generally more comfy than having even a small breed of dog in my lap. And a cat jumping up on you is generally a bit less overwhelming than a dog jumping up on you.

For four, I appreciate how independent and curious cats are, even when it's kind of annoying (because you're chasing the cat out of the cabinets for the fiftieth time).

For five, purring. IMHO, purring is one of the best sounds in the entire universe. One of the best feelings, too, when said purring cat is cuddled up to you.

I think probably the only thing I would say really sucks about cat ownership is the fact that they tend to puke on a regular basis. Waking up in the morning to stagger to the bathroom, and finding along the way that one of your bare feet has landed in a puddle of brown-green squishy hairball is *not* the best way to start a morning.

And I have to say that I don't personally think my own cat smells, although he does occasionally have cat food breath. ;P

Anyhoo. Er, this concludes my Love Essay to Cat Ownership (or should that be, being owned by cats?).

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 01-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #27
Citizen of Bizarro World

re: Kolzig

Well, I'm used to cats not digging me. I pester them too much, so they mostly try to run from me, rather than attempting to get my attention.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 01-16-2006, 01:54 PM   #28
Citizen of Bizarro World

I hate lady cats, btw. When they're horny, it's the most annoying thing ever. Plus they're skinny and ugly. Boy cats are the best!

Old 01-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #29
merely human

Mares, if you were a cat you'd be gay.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #30
Super Moderator

Old 01-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #31
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Mares, if you were a cat you'd be gay.

Sure. Or maybe that annoying horny-lady-cat whining would be the hottest thing ever.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:17 PM   #32
merely human

http://fs6.deviantart.com/i/2005/076..._fangedfem.jpg
Old 01-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #33
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Dogs make me nervous. I am such a chicken .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #34
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Dogs make me nervous. I am such a chicken .

So why did you cross the road then?

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:00 PM   #35
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

To avoid the dog?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:02 PM   #36
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
To avoid the dog?

Only if the 'dog' is called Angua.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #37
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

OK, that made no sense to me. "Angua"?

And I don't cross roads to avoid dogs. Normally. Actually, it probably depends on the dog.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:16 PM   #38
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
OK, that made no sense to me. "Angua"?
Don't waste yer energy, Robsie. Hell, Jaz never makes sense to me.

Doesn't mean I don't love her, though.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:19 PM   #39
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Dogs, totally

I love dogs - you can jump on them and roll about on the floor and have great fights with them and they'll still love you when its all over

Cats, on the other hand are horrible creatures that climb on you and then decide to stick their claws into your tender areas!

My ex and her family had loads of cats but the second I entered her house I would always have a major asthma attack - I guess it's something to do with the cat hairs in the atmosphere!

The strange thing is that dogs don't seem to have this effect on me, so I guess there is a difference between dog and cat hairs
Old 01-16-2006, 05:20 PM   #40
capsized.

Budgie all the way! Dogs smell and cats.....

...well, don't.