Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Movie Trivia! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/12808-movie-trivia.html)

Once A Villain 01-14-2006 05:16 PM

Cool. Then here's the replacement question for #4:

4. In a controversial 70's film, a mathematician and his wife move to Britain in an effort to escape American violence. Unfortunately for them, Britain seems worse. Many viewers were in an uproar at quite a few sequences here, including a woman apparently enjoying being raped, and a terribly violent showdown where the passive mathematician must make a stand defending his home. Name the film.

Also if some further hints are needed on questions that have been around a while, I think people should be able to request that.

EDIT: I think Melanie has the record for fastest answer to a question. Geez... :)

Melanie68 01-14-2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Cool. Then here's the replacement question for #4:

4. In a controversial 70's film, a mathematician and his wife move to Britain in an effort to escape American violence. Unfortunately for them, Britain seems worse. Many viewers were in an uproar at quite a few sequences here, including a woman apparently enjoying being raped, and a terribly violent showdown where the mathematician must make a stand defending his home. Name the film.

Also if some further hints are needed on questions that have been around a while, I think people should be able to request that.

Straw Dogs (thank Insane_Cobra for me knowing that one - it was his avatar for awhile)

I have to think of a question.

Question ?? This may be too easy:

What five roles did Frank Morgan play in the Wizard of Oz?

Once A Villain 01-14-2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
Question ?? This may be too easy:

What five roles did Frank Morgan play in the Wizard of Oz?

Well, mine was easy for you, so we're even. Unfortunately for this question's sake...I've seen The Wizard of Oz more times than is probably healthy. I was raised on it. Heh.

So anyway, here goes...

1. Professor Marvel in the beginning.
2. "That man behind the curtain..." The Wizard, of course, heh.
3. The guy with the "Horse of a Different Color"
4. The doorman
5. The wizard's guard

:)

Gknight 01-14-2006 05:32 PM

Prof. Marvel/Emerald City doorman/The cabbie/The Wizard's guard/The Wizard of Oz.

Which actress went the longest between Oscar wins?

Melanie68 01-14-2006 05:32 PM

Quote:

Well, mine was easy for you, so we're even. Unfortunately for this question's sake...I've seen The Wizard of Oz more times than is probably healthy. I was raised on it. Heh.

So anyway, here goes...

1. Professor Marvel in the beginning.
2. "That man behind the curtain..." The Wizard, of course, heh.
3. The guy with the "Horse of a Different Color"
4. The doorman
5. The wizard's guard

:)

Yes sir! Your others are way too obscure for me.

Once A Villain 01-14-2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gknight
Prof. Marvel/Emerald City doorman/The cabbie/The Wizard's guard/The Wizard of Oz.

Which actress went the longest between Oscar wins?

We both answered at about the same time. We'll go with this question though.

I think it was Katharine Hepburn. I know she went like 25 or 30 years or something between Oscars at one point, it's hard to imagine a longer streak. But I could be wrong.

Gknight 01-14-2006 06:40 PM

Quote:

We both answered at about the same time. We'll go with this question though.

I think it was Katharine Hepburn. I know she went like 25 or 30 years or something between Oscars at one point, it's hard to imagine a longer streak. But I could be wrong.

Katherine Hepburn has the second longest record. The woman who holds the record did it in two different categories. First as a leading actress and the second as a supporting actress thirty eight years later.

Once A Villain 01-14-2006 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gknight
Katherine Hepburn has the second longest record. The woman who holds the record did it in two different categories. First as a leading actress and the second as a supporting actress thirty eight years later.

Ah yes, crap...Helen Hayes.

UPDATED LIST:

1. Name the 60's French film, considered a masterpiece of the medium, where the central character was actually a donkey, and some believe a metaphor for Jesus Christ?

2. What famous film director is known to refer to his actors as "models"?

3. Name this film -

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...2/bd9dd038.jpg

4. In the backseat of a car in a classic 1950's film, the younger brother of a character played by Rod Steiger talks about what he could have been. This speech became quite famous, and is repeated into a mirror by a character in an equally famous 1980's film. Name the original film, and the 80's film.

5. What classic Western had a "Yee Haa scene" that was talked about and imitated by characters in a later film, City Slickers?

Melanie68 01-14-2006 08:17 PM

I'm going to take a wild guess at #2:

John Huston ?

Once A Villain 01-14-2006 08:29 PM

Quote:

I'm going to take a wild guess at #2:

John Huston ?

No, this director is actually French. He directed the film that is the answer to #1. :)

Melanie68 01-14-2006 08:42 PM

So now I'll take a stab at #4 -

Original film: On the Waterfront
90's film: Taxi driver?

Like I said, wild guesses as I've not seen either.

Once A Villain 01-14-2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

So now I'll take a stab at #4 -

Original film: On the Waterfront
90's film: Taxi driver?

Like I said, wild guesses as I've not seen either.

Whoa, cool. You got On the Waterfront right. And Scorsese did direct the later film where the character repeats that speech. You're close.

Melanie68 01-14-2006 10:53 PM

Quote:

Whoa, cool. You got On the Waterfront right. And Scorsese did direct the later film where the character repeats that speech. You're close.

I mistyped 80's as 90's buuuuut... this happens to be on PBS as I type and I think Scorsese directed this - Raging Bull.

Once A Villain 01-14-2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

I mistyped 80's as 90's buuuuut... this happens to be on PBS as I type and I think Scorsese directed this - Raging Bull.

That's it. :D Now, give us a tough question Melanie. You know your classics. :)

Melanie68 01-14-2006 11:09 PM

I think it's more dumb luck. I know a few things but not quite as much as you. I watch this movie every time it's on:

In the movie Stalag 17, there is a soldier who sings at the Christmas party. He was uncredited. Who was it?

AFGNCAAP 01-15-2006 12:55 AM

1. Au hasard Balthazar
2. Robert Bresson

I admit that I had cheated about number one, but I thought it was unanswered long enough. Sorry. :frown: ;) (Seems like an exceptional film, btw)

Lucien21 01-15-2006 12:57 AM

Quote:

I think it's more dumb luck. I know a few things but not quite as much as you. I watch this movie every time it's on:

In the movie Stalag 17, there is a soldier who sings at the Christmas party. He was uncredited. Who was it?

Alvin and the Chipmunks :D

Spoiler:
Ross Bagdasarian

New Question

Who is the youngest winner of Best Actor Oscar and for what film?

Lucien21 01-15-2006 01:14 AM

3. The Wild Bunch

New Question:

In what year was there a tie for Best Actress Oscar and Name both actresses?

AFGNCAAP 01-15-2006 01:30 AM

1. A title of which 2005 release is a phrase originally used by a renowned film critic?

2. In this classic, we never learn the names of most of the characters and the plot involves a simulation of an old man walking. Name the film.

Junkface 01-15-2006 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21
Who is the youngest winner of Best Actor Oscar and for what film?

Adrien Brody for The Pianist.

New question: what was the origin of Billy Wilder's first name?