You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Raimi to direct a Discworld movie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 07:06 AM   #21
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

I liked Wee Free Men. Yeah, it was marketed as young adult, but I totally enjoyed it.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #22
OUATIJ Creator

I had to think about it a bit... I guess my favorite Raimi films are A Simple Plan, Evil Dead 2, and Spider-Man 2. Heh.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #23
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

My Raimi favourites are Darkman and Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:39 AM   #24
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Read it, liked it. It might be a notch below the previous ones (I liked Going Postal more, for example), but it's still very good.
Is THUDD any better than...dammit what was it called...rigime?

the one where the girl pretends to be a guy to join the army...is it any better than that one of you know what one i mean?
Old 01-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #25
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Is THUDD any better than...dammit what was it called...rigime?

the one where the girl pretends to be a guy to join the army...is it any better than that one of you know what one i mean?
I liked Monstrous Regiment a lot :p
Old 01-11-2006, 08:49 AM   #26
Citizen of Bizarro World

OK, so I had no idea Raimi used to do cheezy horror flicks. I guess his career path is pretty similar to Peter Jackson's.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 01-11-2006, 08:56 AM   #27
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
OK, so I had no idea Raimi used to do cheezy horror flicks. I guess his career path is pretty similar to Peter Jackson's.
Very similar, yep. But most people have known this for years now.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:21 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle

Aye, Peter Jackson came from seemingly nowhere, whereas Evil Dead is quite a cult trilogy. So much so, he's even spoken about remaking the original and a forth addition to the series.

Though, I really don't think these will come to light.

Good to see they're FINALLY making steps to bringing Discworld out to film audiences. I've been reading these since I was a little Rayvielle. Heres hoping it gets more people reading the books, because they're a breath of fresh fantasy air.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #29
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
I liked Monstrous Regiment a lot :p
yeah it was good, Going Postal was way better though

I havent finished THUDD...or even got into it...

The Rincewind books were great but I think the books he wrights with one off chracters who them appear in the back ground of future books are great

Like Going postal or The Truth or some others that i cant quite remember
though i wouldnt object to a new Rincewind one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvielle
Aye, Peter Jackson came from seemingly nowhere, whereas Evil Dead is quite a cult trilogy. So much so, he's even spoken about remaking the original and a forth addition to the series.

Though, I really don't think these will come to light.

Good to see they're FINALLY making steps to bringing Discworld out to film audiences. I've been reading these since I was a little Rayvielle. Heres hoping it gets more people reading the books, because they're a breath of fresh fantasy air.
Actualy i think they are in production

The remake of the original wont be done by Rami or star bruce cambell, Rami ants to see what a new director can do with it as he liked the Dawn of the Dead remake.

The 4th on will have bruce in all his glory though
Old 01-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #30
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvielle
Aye, Peter Jackson came from seemingly nowhere, whereas Evil Dead is quite a cult trilogy.
Ummm, Jackson's early films were cult classics too. Not as big as the Evil Dead movies because they aren't American and they didn't have Stephen King backing them up, but Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles, and Braindead were huge (in a cult sense) in the early 90's. I remember I took Braindead to school on Laserdisc in 1996 and shocked the hell out of my classmates while the teacher was out of the room. What a troublemaker I was... I also made a Braindead inspired video for Spanish class that was so controversial (blood, nudity, bad language in Spanish) I got the entire "make a video" option banned every year since at that high school.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #31
Friendly Server Admin

Speaking of Peter Jackson, have you guys seen Forgotten Silver? Pretty awesome, that film
Old 01-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #32
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Speaking of Peter Jackson, have you guys seen Forgotten Silver? Pretty awesome, that film
Yeah, I've seen everything Jackson has done. What about Heavenly Creatures? That one is pretty cool too. I'll never understand why Kate Winslet's character in the movie hated Orson Welles though.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #33
The Reggienator

Yeah Heavenly Creatures is a great one too.

I really need to buy the three dvd set of The Frighteners as soon as possible, I love that movie.
I've seen it at least three times on tv in the last 6-7 years.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #34
Friendly Server Admin

THREE dvds? What's on the other 2?
Old 01-11-2006, 04:08 PM   #35
OB

I don't know if it's 3DVDs in Region 1 but a Director's Cut version of Frighteners got released recently. It's just a laserdisc port and has the infamous 4 1/2 hour documentary on the making of it on there. I think the movie is 10 minutes longer....check IMDB.com for what makes up the extra scenes.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:29 AM   #36
woof

Peter Jackson directed Frightners? the one with Michael J. Fox?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:16 AM   #37
all loved up

Anyone notice how the Wee Free Men isn't listed anywhere on Raimi's IMDB profile? I appreciate that IMDB is just that, a database, and maybe people who contribute to the site haven't picked up on it yet, but I'm slightly cynical about the fact there's no news on it on the websites I trust... Seems almost too good to be true, and a slightly unusual choice of director. (I would have thought someone like Chris Columbus, maybe Speilberg, who tend to produce family and fantasy films might have been more suited) Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a discworld film, I'd really like to believe it's true, but I can't find anything on the BBC entertainment site, or on SFX (even in the forums!) so I kinda doubt it... EDIT... Hmm, read the article and now think it may just not have been greenlit (Greenlighted?) yet, there's too much detail there, but why has this been reported nowhere else? I would have thought my boyfriend, a big fan of both Terry Prachett and SFX, would have picked up on any mention of a discworld film.... Oh dear, edited again, have found an article on the BBC site... Stupid me.... Still, has it actually been confirmed that this is absolutely going to be made?

Last edited by adventurefan; 01-12-2006 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:06 AM   #38
The Reggienator

Quote:
THREE dvds? What's on the other 2?
Hmm, I might have remembered wrong, it might be only 2 dvds...

No, I was correct after all:

http://www12.cd-wow.com/detail_resul...uct_code=23448

Old 01-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #39
OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurefan
Anyone notice how the Wee Free Men isn't listed anywhere on Raimi's IMDB profile? I appreciate that IMDB is just that, a database, and maybe people who contribute to the site haven't picked up on it yet, but I'm slightly cynical about the fact there's no news on it on the websites I trust... Seems almost too good to be true, and a slightly unusual choice of director. (I would have thought someone like Chris Columbus, maybe Speilberg, who tend to produce family and fantasy films might have been more suited) Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a discworld film, I'd really like to believe it's true, but I can't find anything on the BBC entertainment site, or on SFX (even in the forums!) so I kinda doubt it... EDIT... Hmm, read the article and now think it may just not have been greenlit (Greenlighted?) yet, there's too much detail there, but why has this been reported nowhere else? I would have thought my boyfriend, a big fan of both Terry Prachett and SFX, would have picked up on any mention of a discworld film.... Oh dear, edited again, have found an article on the BBC site... Stupid me.... Still, has it actually been confirmed that this is absolutely going to be made?

IMDB is notorious for being filled with inaccurate information. Also, the story originated from Variety, so it's legit. Don't expect it until probably at least 2008, though.