You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Speech recognition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
merely human

Default Speech recognition

Anybody use this? I stumbled onto it in MS Word, it seems pretty convenient depending on what you do. It's not entirely hands free, you switch between dictation and voice commands, and I suppose it's simply a matter of getting used to that; later you'll have to edit what you 'wrote'. I'm sorting and packing my things and making a detailed list in terms of priority.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I was always too lazy to train the piece of software I had a few years ago, and I figured that the time spent editing it ended up being as least as long as the time spent typing in the first place .

One day, this software will be really useful. Until then...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Oh boy, I remember having a voice Rec. password protection on my phone. I lost my voice for a week and was unable to use my phone. So goodbye to that idea.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Last time i tried to used some voice recognition thing it required you to read out pages of random words then a big pointless story about a boy and his ball or something I never did manage to finish it...
Old 01-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
merely human

Really? I got to read out loud some Edith Wharton and Bertrand Russell! It was marvelous, man!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-10-2006, 01:37 AM   #6
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Oh boy, I remember having a voice Rec. password protection on my phone. I lost my voice for a week and was unable to use my phone. So goodbye to that idea.
I had a voice-dialler on my old phone, where you spoke someones name into it and it dials them for you (I think it's pretty common). Except it would call your doctor if you wanted your dad, it was sh*t (unless my phone knew something I didn't...). Plus drunken mates would swear at it and see who it called.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 01-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
Staff Member

I reckon typing is about the same speed as speech rec, including error correction.

Wasn't there a PS2 AG with speech rec? You had to direct some girl around a space station. Apparently it was a good idea, but the limited vocab and technology made it unplayable; like being in the text parser old days.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #8
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

ROFL - I have just found a file I created using MS Word 2000's dictation, years ago. I think it speaks for itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft Word 2000
OK, how about this? In the group of words separated by a few blind lines, which occurred a few group of words ago, it quickly disk integrated into a vain attempt to get the computer to understand the word Offal. This time I succeeded. However, I was originally trying to make it understand the word bowl full pay its paid. In this the computer still is a complete failure because now it has decided that I said bowl full. It had another codes warm up there. I think it solved by said Baiul full and am now if things I just said to be enrolled full and even the dictionary has queried this word because it does not exist, obviously. The commission stuff obviously has potential, it is very limited and a million potential, possibly useful for people without hands, all feet to control a keyboard, or even the forehead to attract some have warmed to because even that would probably work better than this beach recognition beach recognition in shuttle.
The word I was actually going for was "awful", by the way, as in "It has made at quite Offal attempt at trying to figure out what I’ve been trying to say can."

I was also going to link to this, but it pales into insignificance!
Old 01-13-2006, 04:19 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Is there any game exist for Kids / Adults which uses same technique ?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
merely human

usman, the only game I can think of right now is Lifeline, categorically a survival/horror title for the Playstation2 (so it's not an adventure game per se). We had discussed this game a couple years back in this thread. The game was originally released in Japan and enjoyed a level of success, but I don't remember it being well received here in the States or even getting any measurable amount of media coverage. Was it even released in the States?

There's a very short PC demo showing off the voice command technology if you're interested. Find the link to it in the thread link I gave you above.