Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Like Music? You'll Love This! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/12702-like-music-youll-love.html)

SakSquash 01-08-2006 09:51 AM

Like Music? You'll Love This!

It's called Pandora and was created by the Music Genome Project. You add a singer, band or song that you like, and it'll search for similar artists/songs. While you're listening to the song, you can vote if you like it or not, and depending on what you choose, the songs played will change to fit your preference. It's kind of hard to explain, but you should get it a try. It's a good find to find new artists that are similar in taste to the ones you already like. It even tells you why they think a certain band or song is similar to the one you entered.

Pandora

eriq 01-08-2006 10:37 AM

this is an excellent project. I am currently speaking with their creative director on possibly doing the site redesign.

Junkface 01-08-2006 05:28 PM

Meh. Pretty disappointing. Couldn't find You've Got Foetus on Your Breath, Scraping Foetus off the Wheel or Foetus Interruptus. Described Suicide as electronica... the stuff it brought up in response to The Birthday Party could never be described as viciously sleazy... edit: tried it again, and The Birthday Party selections seemed better;this time there was some Stooges, the very definition of viciously sleazy...

SamandMax 01-09-2006 07:20 PM

Very cool. Getting licences for all this music must be hell for them.

seebaruk 01-10-2006 02:21 AM

Only just started checking it out but looks good so far, cheers for the link.

Ninth 01-10-2006 03:01 AM

Very interesting. Too bad I can't register, not being from the US. Oh well, it was fun for the little while that it lasted. :)

Karmillo 01-10-2006 03:04 AM

is there a set time perios you can use it without registering?

seebaruk 01-10-2006 05:44 AM

I'm from the UK, but I just entered a random zipcode (30707 or something) and it let me register fine. You can only use it to check out a few songs before you need to register.

Ninth 01-10-2006 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seebaruk
I'm from the UK, but I just entered a random zipcode (30707 or something) and it let me register fine. You can only use it to check out a few songs before you need to register.

Now why on earth didn't I even think about that? :crazy:

Mattsius 01-10-2006 09:40 AM

Was planning to start a thread on this, but it seems I came second. It's nice to hear, to you, totally new songs. Although I have quite a large library of music I'm getting tired of hearing them again and again.
Quote:

Originally Posted by seebaruk
I'm from the UK, but I just entered a random zipcode (30707 or something) and it let me register fine.

Hehe, so did I. 12345 worked just fine. :D

Karmillo 01-10-2006 05:17 PM

wow this is a great way to find new music and artists that youll like :D

hope they dont eventualy make the payment option manditory...

tabacco 01-10-2006 07:04 PM

Yeah, I've used them for awhile sine someone at work suggested them. I wish Apple would buy them so my iPod could shuffle music that way :)

stuboy 01-12-2006 08:02 AM

I quite like it, but their approach to finding similar music (basically just taking elements like minor/major, syncopation, acoustic/electric etc.) leaves something to be desired. For someone who views lyrics as very important and listens to a wide range of styles it isn't very helpful. You can't really explain why you like a song just by a few musical qualities. Often it's just about a catchy hook as much as anything else.

stuboy 01-12-2006 08:08 AM

And there's also the derivative factor. Just because I like RATM doesn't mean I want to listen to every derivative rap metal outfit they spawned.

Karmillo 01-12-2006 08:28 AM

yeah that seems to be one problem, i dont understand all that jargen it gives me telling me why its picked that song, theres a couple that ive liked in each station i make. but it just seems like even if you put in a song it just goes for what band you pikc and judge from that.

I put in stairway to heaven and im getting random generic "DRUNDRUNDRUN SKEDELAAAAOW!" rock :shifty: