You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default Changing names

No, I'm not talking about a forum username, I'm talking about actual, real world names.

I'm debating, in what could probably seen as an act of late-teenage stupidity, adding in the completely redundant extra middle name "Westgarth" (there are actually some family members back a couple of generations with this particular name, but it's partly just to annoy my family). I originally debated double-barrelling my surname to Westgarth-Lacey, but, as well as looking pretentious (), it would make form-filling a comparative nightmare.

So, here's your chance to disuade me from adopting this particular moniker. Or maybe you've changed your name yourself, and want to talk about it.

Or, to be honest, you'd be perfectly justified in ignoring this thread. It's not even very interesting.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
So, here's your chance to disuade me from adopting this particular moniker.
*spots chance and patiently waits for it to pass by*

Quote:
Or, to be honest, you'd be perfectly justified in ignoring this thread. It's not even very interesting.
I find it interesting, though I was both excited by it at first and then disappointed. Excited because you were talking about real names, and then disappointed because you just want to add to it, rather than, well. Changing it.

I follow the philosophy that a true name is something one picks for oneself. My 'true name' changes as I evolve, currently, it is Neike Taika-Tessaro. My 'real' name, though, is Meike Pabst. I don't know if I would change my formal name given the chance. I suppose I might, if I get the impression my personality is going to remain the same long enough for it to be worth it

So, yeah, that's why I'd never dream of stopping you, though your reasons amuse me.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 01-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I should point out that the rules governing name changes, at least in the UK, seem to be fairly relaxed.

I have no real reason to do this other than constantly joking with my family that I'm going to. And true, actually changing names is more interesting (and better suited to my choice of thread title). I remember one man in a choir I used to sing in who'd changed his middle names to "The Magnificent" so that on his credit card it said "C The Magnificent Phillips". Now that was amusing, if really stupid-looking.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
I should point out that the rules governing name changes, at least in the UK, seem to be fairly relaxed.

I have no real reason to do this other than constantly joking with my family that I'm going to. And true, actually changing names is more interesting (and better suited to my choice of thread title). I remember one man in a choir I used to sing in who'd changed his middle names to "The Magnificent" so that on his credit card it said "C The Magnificent Phillips". Now that was amusing, if really stupid-looking.

So, that would be mean you are one of the few English people to have three given names? That would be: Robert Tiberius Westgarth Lacey. Be prepared to have your third given name stand as your last name on driving licenses and the likes. They are always too small for the whole name (except the german ones).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
So, that would be mean you are one of the few English people to have three given names? That would be: Robert Tiberius Westgarth Lacey. Be prepared to have your third given name stand as your last name on driving licenses and the likes. They are always too small for the whole name (except the german ones).

-
I'd guess that most people here have three given names. My name happens to be Robert Peter Lacey (or Robert Peter Westgarth Lacey if we add in the extra one), and that's not unusual. There are people wandering around with two or four names, but by far the majority of people that I meet - and bother to ask - have three.

Mind you, Tiberius is also good. Five names might be greedy, though.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
I'd guess that most people here have three given names. My name happens to be Robert Peter Lacey (or Robert Peter Westgarth Lacey if we add in the extra one), and that's not unusual. There are people wandering around with two or four names, but by far the majority of people that I meet - and bother to ask - have three.

Mind you, Tiberius is also good. Five names might be greedy, though.

By "Given Name" I mean "First name". It just sounds silly if I say "Three first names". The Last name is your family name.

Right now you only have two given names (Robert Peter) and one last name (Lacey).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Correct. Two forenames and one surname. My mother happens to have three forenames, but then all of hers are crazy anyway.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
Friendly Server Admin

Robert Danger Lacey
Old 01-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #9
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

"Danger" is my middle name.

Sex?

Yes please.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
merely human

Robert Tiberius Westgarth Lacey

God, that's f#&king sexy! Do it!

Neike Taika-Tessaro

God, that's f#&king sexy! Keep it!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I've thought about changing my name before, mainly because I like my middle name (Julia) better than my first name. But when I came of age to actually do it, well... I've been Liz for so long that thinking of myself any other way would be difficult (although "Jeysie" has actually come close in recent years). I even probably wouldn't want to change my last name if I got married (not that there's a random cold object's chance in heck of that ever happening...)

Mostly though... well, it's just a complete pain the ass going through all the paperwork. I don't know about in the UK, but here in the US you'd have to change your Social Security number, the info on any credit cards or loans you may have, any student info you may have, IRS info, driver's license/ID info... and that's the basic stuff. Add in bills and magazine info and post office info and all your friends and family, and... ugh. Way, way too much hassle.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 01-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #12
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Neike Taika-Tessaro

God, that's f#&king sexy! Keep it!
It has a meaning, too. Well, the surname, anyway...

Glad you like it. I'm tempted to adopt it just to seduce you further, hehe...
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 01-01-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
I remember one man in a choir I used to sing in who'd changed his middle names to "The Magnificent" so that on his credit card it said "C The Magnificent Phillips". Now that was amusing, if really stupid-looking.
That has got to be the best name ever

I plan on taking after Indiana Jones and stealing my dogs name, since like like his name better and my normal name is way to common, especialy the combination of my last name to it

I mean, how am i going to go down in history with a name that so many others already have
Old 01-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #14

when a worked at a company taking credit card applications over the phone, i once took the app of a man who instisted his legal name was "most beautiul most amazing". he owned a record label.

i bet he has fun introducing himself to people..
Old 01-01-2006, 10:54 PM   #15
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Westgarth isn't so bad. If you like it, go for it.
Any mention of creative names always reminds me of the Hendricks sisters that I went to school with: Tonjaleria, Estralida, Malaria, and Toy (yes, "Toy" was her legal given name).

Share the love.

<3
Old 01-01-2006, 11:10 PM   #16
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Glad you like it. I'm tempted to adopt it just to seduce you further, hehe...

You're evil.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-02-2006, 02:15 AM   #17
Friendly Server Admin

Homer: [shuffles papers] Then I'd like to legally change my name!
Judge: What name would you prefer?
Homer: Any of these will be fine.
Judge: Hmm. "Hercules Rockefeller". "Rembrandt Q. Einstein".
"Handsome B. Wonderful". Huh, I'm going to give you the only
name you spelt correctly. From this day forward, your name
shall be ...
[cut to a shot of Lisa, reading from a sheet of paper on the
Simpsons' couch]
Lisa: "Max Power"?
Homer: Dynamic, isn't it?
Bart: I love it, Max.
Marge: You changed your name without consulting me?
Homer: That's the way Max Power is, Marge. Decisive.
Uncompromising! And rude!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:09 AM   #18
Citizen of Bizarro World

When I was becoming an American citizen, my brothers and I were debating changing/adding to our names. Andrej wanted to take off the J and become Andre (wound up not filling the form out right, though. He isn't willing to pay $300 to have it done at this point); My dad wanted Igor to change his name into Christian (which is what dad meant to call him to begin with, but my mom insisted on a Serbian name). Igor refused; And I wanted to add a middle name to Marko (but I wasn't gonna change the K to a C, 'cause I prefer this spelling). I couldn't decide on one though. "Jonathan" was the closest I ever came to deciding. I thought it was original, until I met a guy named Jonathan.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 01-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #19
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
You're evil.
What, you mean, you only realise that now?

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 01-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #20
merely human

Well, no, but, I didn't think you'd be so evil as to torture me with such exquisite pleasure. It's already more than I can handle looking at your avatar every time.