You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is Doing Exceptionally Well...

View Poll Results: Have you seen Brokeback Mountain?
Yes, and I loved it... 4 10.53%
Yes, it was ok... 2 5.26%
Yes, and I didn't care for it... 0 0%
No, but I plan to... 21 55.26%
No, and I don't plan to... 11 28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2005, 08:41 AM   #21
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Ok, so, what if I like Hulk, but not Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?
Well Ninth, not so long ago you admitted you just can't get into movies with flying Chinese people. I'm 99% sure that was you. Notice that I said it's like Crouching Tiger minus the flying people. The thing a lot of people didn't see about Crouching Tiger was that its story was universal. It could have been told in an American drama, for instance. But since the story was told within the wuxia genre, some people allowed that to get in the way of their enjoyment. Really if I had to single out one Ang Lee film that has the most in common with Brokeback Mountain, it would be The Ice Storm. The main similarity between Crouching Tiger and Brokeback has to do with the main characters repressing their emotions. The fact that you didn't like Crouching Tiger won't really matter when it comes to Brokeback Mountain.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #22
merely human

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon made me cry towards the end. And that had nothing to do with flying people or the martial arts sequences.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-21-2005, 01:35 PM   #23
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon made me cry towards the end. And that had nothing to do with flying people or the martial arts sequences.
Exactly. It was a beautiful, universal story that just happened to be told in the Chinese idiom.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #24
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I came in half way through, got bored, laughed at some trite dialogue and walked out of the living room. Maybe I should actually watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon properly some day .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #25
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I came in half way through, got bored, laughed at some trite dialogue and walked out of the living room. Maybe I should actually watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon properly some day .
Please do. Also, it should be said that Crouching Tiger has far less "trite dialogue" than most wuxia. I don't mind flying people, or people screaming out, "Flying Lion Dragon Rhino Stance!"...I can accept it as part of the genre. However, a lot of wuxia suffers from cheesy material. Crouching Tiger, when you watch it all the way through, is much better than most wuxia. Hero, by Zhang Yimou, is as well. House of Flying Daggers...not so much. Ashes of Time is pretty cool. And so on and so forth...
Old 12-22-2005, 12:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Please do. Also, it should be said that Crouching Tiger has far less "trite dialogue" than most wuxia. I don't mind flying people, or people screaming out, "Flying Lion Dragon Rhino Stance!"...I can accept it as part of the genre. However, a lot of wuxia suffers from cheesy material. Crouching Tiger, when you watch it all the way through, is much better than most wuxia. Hero, by Zhang Yimou, is as well. House of Flying Daggers...not so much. Ashes of Time is pretty cool. And so on and so forth...
Ashes of Time is obscure as hell, but yes, it's really cool.
And Hero is very conventional, but elegant, so I liked it.

Crouching Tiger, I don't know, it wasn't just the flying, it was also that I didn't find it all very interesting... be it the characters, the story, or even the overabundance of prettiness.

And I got House of Flaying Daggers in DVD (got it for my birthday), but I still need to watch it.

Oh, and 7 swords is really bad, too.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:02 AM   #27
merely human

Quote:
And I got House of Flaying Daggers in DVD (got it for my birthday), but I still need to watch it.
If you end up not liking it send it to me.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-22-2005, 01:07 AM   #28

Quote:
If you end up not liking it send it to me.
Nah. There's Hero in the same box, and I like Hero.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:08 AM   #29
merely human

!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:31 AM   #30
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Nah. There's Hero in the same box, and I like Hero.
Just to be an ass (but a truthful ass), Rashomon is better than Hero. MWAHAHA! That's where Hero stole its story from, or at least the way it told the story. Though I still enjoy Hero because Rashomon was more a drama/comedy while Hero had the over-the-top martial arts.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:21 PM   #31
OUATIJ Creator

Just got back from Munich. I would add that to the short list of really good movies this year. Certainly far, far, far better than Spielberg's earlier offering of the year...the forgettable War of the Worlds. I still believe Brokeback Mountain and Ang Lee deserve the awards for Best Film and Best Director, respectively. For best actor...it truly is a really tough call between Ledger and Hoffman. Hoffman is so good as Truman Capote that I actually remembered Lionel Twain in Murder by Death (thought I had forgotten that years ago...), played by none other than Truman Capote. He was exactly like him. It's a tough call.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 12-23-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Just to be an ass (but a truthful ass), Rashomon is better than Hero. MWAHAHA! That's where Hero stole its story from, or at least the way it told the story. Though I still enjoy Hero because Rashomon was more a drama/comedy while Hero had the over-the-top martial arts.
It's like saying that wine is better than lemonade... Of course it is. But lemonade is still refreshing.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:22 PM   #33
OUATIJ Creator

Has no one else here seen this film yet? Apparently out of the 14 people that want to see it, no effort has been made yet to actually do so. Actually, I know it's a busy time of of year (or a wind down from a busy time of year)... I just wish I could see someone else's opinion on the film, someone that comes to AG. Heh.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #34
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

If it ever opens here, I'll happily brave the picket line of angry, repressed Southern Baptists to see it.
Until then, I'll just have to wait on the DVD.
Tell you what...if it's playing where I'm on vacation, I'll make a point of seeing it there. Good enough?

Share the love.

<3
Old 12-29-2005, 09:24 PM   #35
merely human

Quote:
Has no one else here seen this film yet? Apparently out of the 14 people that want to see it, no effort has been made yet to actually do so. Actually, I know it's a busy time of of year (or a wind down from a busy time of year)... I just wish I could see someone else's opinion on the film, someone that comes to AG. Heh.
I will see it, I promise! I'm still kinda waiting for therapist doctor of my men's support group to try to get us cheap ticks. I'll wait another week and if it doesn't happen I'll go to a matinee show.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:39 AM   #36
OUATIJ Creator

A little update...

Brokeback Mountain is up to $15 million domestically (only cost $13 million to make). So it's already on its way to becoming a very profitable film, and it hasn't even opened wide yet (only 269 theaters). It's making more money per theater every day than Narnia or Kong or anything else playing right now. By the end of its run, this could very well be another $100 million+ film for Ang Lee.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #37
OUATIJ Creator

Well, after 40 days in release, Brokeback Mountain was finally the #1 movie in America yesterday despite being shown at only 683 theaters so far. $33 million so far, and it will be boosted by the Golden Globe win of Best Picture and Ang Lee for Best Director. Cool stuff.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #38
merely human

You should have seen Larry King Live the other evening. There were these two conservative Christian authorities lambasting it left right and right. It was pathetic. They had NOTHING else to go by except their twisted interpretations in the Bible. There were even calls from across the country from moms defending their love for their gay sons and how their families are so much closer together because of the openness, and these two Christians kept saying, like a broken record, "That's not what God intended, that's not what God intended. "

Amazing how much miserable bigoted inhuman stupidity there still is in this world, and how people go to great lengths to use God as an excuse to pimp their own hatred.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #39
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
You should have seen Larry King Live the other evening. There were these two conservative Christian authorities lambasting it left right and right. It was pathetic. They had NOTHING else to go by except their twisted interpretations in the Bible. There were even calls from across the country from moms defending their love for their gay sons and how their families are so much closer together because of the openness, and these two Christians kept saying, like a broken record, "That's not what God intended, that's not what God intended. "

Amazing how much miserable bigoted inhuman stupidity there still is in this world, and how people go to great lengths to use God as an excuse to pimp their own hatred.
Honestly, you shouldn't be upset because all these people are doing is hyping the movie without even knowing it. Same thing happened with The Passion of the Christ. Before anyone even knew anything about the film, Jewish "authorities" were going on every news show imaginable to say the movie was anti-Semitic. What happened? The movie made a fortune.

This movie is not going to make anyone gay that isn't already gay, that's just ludicrous. And to spread hatred this way isn't what God would have intended either. Do these people want their children to grow up looking at homosexuals as less human or something? Do they want them to harbor anger and hatred toward them? Do they want their children possibly committing a hate crime against them (this brutal activity is depicted briefly in the film) and ending up in jail? Because that's all this sort of hate produces.

Here's my take on the Christian angle. Some, I'm sure, are more open. My mother is a heavy duty Christian and she went to the film with me when I saw it a second time and enjoyed it very much. In her eyes, it's a story. It's about humanity. It's about the way things are. There are gay people. Get used to it, and don't hate them...how hard is that? The position I think Christians should take is something like this... Does the Bible say homosexuality is wrong? Yes it does. But it doesn't condone all of this hatred. I say, if someone believes in God, they should let him do the judging. Brokeback Mountain is a very realistic, well told story about many things...two homosexual men most of all. That's just a part of the world, a story that rings true for many people. Christians shouldn't spread hate, they should spread acceptance and let God make the final judgement. Hatred here on earth gets nobody anywhere.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:57 AM   #40
Epinionated.

Hero was OK but beautiful, House of Flying Daggers was ba-a-a-a-a--a-a-a-ad but beautiful, WOTW most certainly didn't suck and was one of the bravest Hollywood sci-fi's released in terms of its inspiration and content, Brokeback I've no intention of seeing in the cinema but will pick it up on DVD, Munich I'm eager to see but have no time of late.

I've got too many other things to watch atm. Including my new copy of Howls Moving Castle I imported from Japan.