You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #12341
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Your preoccupation with guns is more than a little worrying.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #12342
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Be glad I don't live near you.

In reality, firearms and artillery simply are a feature of the history that I study, of which you can't really study without learning a good deal about such weapons as I talk about. My expertise in weaponry has unnerved more than a few people, though.

Last edited by Giligan; 10-06-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #12343
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Your preoccupation with guns is more than a little worrying.
Haven't you ever heard of Peace through Superior Firepower?
And remember, people who give up there weapons usually wind up ruled by the people who kept theirs
Old 10-06-2006, 04:36 PM   #12344
The Greater

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
Old 10-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #12345
Lovable rogue

If I had a boob, then I'd like, totally bitch-slap it into next week...

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 10-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #12346
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Ppl. who have guns usually end up shooting the wrong person..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 10-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #12347
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Or shooting me.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:26 PM   #12348
The Greater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post

Correction: Irresponsible persons who have guns usually end up shooting the wrong person. Firearms are not the "evil, horrible killing machines" that most people believe them to be. They're like a hammer. Or a screwdriver. A tool is what guns are.

And, like with any tool, you can put it to the responsible, logical role it was meant for. Use it wrongly, and yes, someone might get wounded, or killed.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:26 PM   #12349
Lovable rogue

In the war I was trying to shoot myself in the foot, but I slipped and hit a Gerry. I got the Victoria Cross. - True story.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 10-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #12350
The Greater

You can't get Britain's highest award for killing one Kraut. You'd have to kill a few of the buggers, at least.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #12351
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
I haven't shot the wrong person yet. It's always been who I was aiming for.
But seriously the problem with guns is that, unlike the school I went to, there are no classes in responsible gun ownership like there were when I went to school. Heck I actually took a 20 gauge shotgun on the school bus since the instructor did not have a left handed one.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #12352
The Greater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
Heck I actually took a 20 gauge shotgun on the school bus since the instructor did not have a left handed one.
*peers at the screen*

...A left-handed what, might I ask?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #12353
Creepy Father Figure

Left handed Mossburg 20 gauge Semi automatic shotgun. Left Handed weapons discharge empty cartridges from the opposite side than right ones so you do not get powder burn. Also I was used to the weapon since it was set up for me and I skeet shoot with a full choke barrel
Old 10-07-2006, 03:08 AM   #12354
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Correction: Irresponsible persons who have guns usually end up shooting the wrong person. Firearms are not the "evil, horrible killing machines" that most people believe them to be. They're like a hammer. Or a screwdriver. A tool is what guns are.

And, like with any tool, you can put it to the responsible, logical role it was meant for. Use it wrongly, and yes, someone might get wounded, or killed.
The way that too many irresponsible people have access to guns ending up killing innocent people makes me look at firearms as evil, horrible killing machines and not tools. (Jeez ) Right now I'm thinking about the last three incidents within one week in schools in the US: Platte Canyon Colorado, Cazenovia Wisconsin and the Amish school in Pennsylvania. I'd say you have a huge problem over there.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:58 AM   #12355
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
A gun is a tool - made for shooting things. A screwdriver is a tool - made for fixing things. A bassoon is also a tool - made for making music. More people with bassoons means more potential for music. More people with screwdrivers means more potential for fixing things. More people with guns means more potential for shooting things.

Even if we disregard the kinds of guns made for the only purpose of shooting humans (which, weird enough, usually is the kind defended with the argument you use), the right use of the tool is still to shoot things. I'm not against hunting or such things, but I still think that screwdriver comparision that's so common is a fair bit off. Sure, you can kill something with a screwdriver, but most guns are designed to kill things. Big difference.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:25 AM   #12356
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
A gun is a tool - made for shooting things. A screwdriver is a tool - made for fixing things. A bassoon is also a tool - made for making music. More people with bassoons means more potential for music. More people with screwdrivers means more potential for fixing things. More people with guns means more potential for shooting things.

Even if we disregard the kinds of guns made for the only purpose of shooting humans (which, weird enough, usually is the kind defended with the argument you use), the right use of the tool is still to shoot things. I'm not against hunting or such things, but I still think that screwdriver comparision that's so common is a fair bit off. Sure, you can kill something with a screwdriver, but most guns are designed to kill things. Big difference.

What about bows? Aren't they made for shooting things too? Yet there are fewer reports of people being shot by bows, despite the fact that you probably don't even need a licencse to carry a bow, even in the US (at least you don't need one in Germany). There's people hunting with bows, and the modern ones can deliver a strong killing blow.

However, most people just shoot at straw targets.

There's something about guns that's different, it seems.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Last edited by Jazhara7; 10-07-2006 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #12357
Lovable rogue

In England we can legally hunt the Welsh with a longbow.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:02 AM   #12358
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:

To follow up on Trumgottist's comments. Not only is a gun specifically designed for the purpose of shooting things, it also allows you to do damage from a distance. If I want to kill someone with a hammer or screwdriver I have to get right up close and personal. With a gun I can easily kill someone from a long way off, giving them less chance to realise my hostile intent and take defensive action.

To turn it the other way can you come up with a useful purpose for the gun. By this I mean one that provides a positive benefit (in the way a hammer and screwdriver enable you to build/fix things) At one time hunting would have been necessary for survival but that's no longer the case for the majority of the populace so that's no longer a valid use in the context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
What about bows? Aren't they made for shooting things too? Yet there are fewer reports of people being shot by bows, despite the fact that you probably don't even need a licencse to carry a bow, even in the US (at least you don't need one in Germany). There's people hunting with bows, and the modern ones can deliver a strong killing blow.

However, most people just shoot at straw targets.

There's something about guns that's different, it seems.

-
Actually I think you have a good point. The big difference between the two is probably the skill involved. Firing a bow accurately takes practice and firing a bow any distance requires physical strength (depending on the draw of the bow) Firing a gun only requires someone to point the barrel in the right direction and flex a finger. The aiming and distance is largely down to the skill of the gunmaker. It is also very hard to get off a bow shot at point blank range.

That said, given the undoubted lethality of bows as demnastrated throughout history, I'd say it would be wise to limit the right to jsut carry one around the streets with you. It would be difficult to control the ownership of a weapon that is relatively easy to construct from common materials though.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 10-07-2006, 06:27 AM   #12359
Creepy Father Figure

This discussion is interesting and I'm enjoying it immensly. I guess the frontier spirit of southern and central US is dominant im my bloodstream.

I for one quit hunting long ago due to the fact that I have family that enjoy it more than I do. This allows me to have venison whenever I want it and the thrill of the kill left me long ago. Though I still do think that a person should have to go out and kill his own food at least once in his life, this would give people even more appreciation of nature and your place in life.

But back on the subject. I am still always in strong belief that if you ever give up your abiltiy to defend yourself to others then all you do is turn into sheep that are fat for the slaughter. I am not in the NRA or anything but this is my opinion. A public that has the ability to arm itself keeps things like totalitarian governments,(ie; Khmer Rouge, Military takeovers, direct military assault from other countries.) from ever having a chance to take control. This is thought by some to be an archaic stance but it is historically accurate. Just ask any country who tried to take over another when every farmer was shooting at you.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:43 AM   #12360
Lovable rogue

Speaking of hunting, didn't someone post a picture of a white moose somewhere? That head would look great mounted on a wall.