You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 06:29 AM   #8861
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Any plans for the weekend Rob?
Not really. I live a boring life.

Oh, wait. Cricket!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:43 AM   #8862
Lovable rogue

Quote:
I'll be transporting my piles of junk down to Wimbledon to my new flat, hopefully not breaking too much en route.
Watch out for the Wombles, you know what they're like when it comes to junk!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 07-14-2006, 06:44 AM   #8863
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Surely he doesn't plan to carry his junk through the Common, though?

Old 07-14-2006, 06:48 AM   #8864
Chris Barraclough

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Are we playing today? Looked like we had a lucky escape yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
Isn't Wimbledon a really nice area?
It looked that way if I remember correctly. But all I did there was walking from the underground station to Wimbledon tennis (and croquet club)-arenas. Stand in line for hours, spend all day inside the tennis club and then back to central London.
It is indeed a very nice area, especially compared to Bermondsey, where I live at the moment. First week in Bermondsey I saw a big group of police arresting what looked like a few 14 year olds. And the pavements are often decorated with unconcious drunks and/or vomit.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 07-14-2006, 06:51 AM   #8865
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Are we playing today? Looked like we had a lucky escape yesterday.
Assuming that you're talking about the cricket and not the wombles...

We're doing fairly well. Collingwood made 186, and England are 495-7. There's been something of a collapse towards the end there, but we should comfortably make more than 500, which is about as good as could be expected.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:51 AM   #8866
Super Moderator

If I ever move to the UK, Bermondsey is off my list. Eek!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:00 AM   #8867
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
My current flatmates moving in with his gf, hence I'm having to shift too. Worked out nicely though, cos one of my mates from uni's just bought a flat in Wimbledon and he's got a spare room going for rent. So new area, new flatmate, and new pubs to explore
That sounds a bit of a drag, but maybe the new flatmate will be as cool as the old one was. A good flatmate is a person to be cherished.

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-14-2006, 07:07 AM   #8868
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
If I ever move to the UK, Bermondsey is off my list. Eek!
You should just avoid London altogether.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 07-14-2006, 07:59 AM   #8869
Lazy Bee

Quote:
It is indeed a very nice area, especially compared to Bermondsey, where I live at the moment.
Congrats to the happy ending of what could have been a really awkward situation for you, all of a sudden being homeless.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #8870
Chris Barraclough

Cheers guys, looking forward to moving in, and I know I can put up with the guy I'm gonna move in with cos we travelled round Asia for half a year together. We've been through quite a few scrapes!

And don't let me put you or anyone else off London Mel, I was just living in one of the more skanky areas. There's plenty of nice areas too. And nowhere else on Earth has more fried chicken shops, mmmm!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 07-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #8871
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

How fry-teningly good.

*guffaw*™

Old 07-14-2006, 01:38 PM   #8872
Super Moderator

Quote:
Cheers guys, looking forward to moving in, and I know I can put up with the guy I'm gonna move in with cos we travelled round Asia for half a year together. We've been through quite a few scrapes!
So are the two of you neat or does the slobiness grow exponentially when you get together.

Quote:
And don't let me put you or anyone else off London Mel, I was just living in one of the more skanky areas. There's plenty of nice areas too. And nowhere else on Earth has more fried chicken shops, mmmm!
Once in a while, a job opening in my profession comes up for the UK. When the time comes, I'll think about it. I've thought about the idea of living there since I was in high school. I think my mom would kill me though. She said to me just recently that she was hoping I could move back within driving distance but she knows I have to go where the jobs are (and she said in that slightly mom guilt tone... ).
Old 07-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #8873
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Make sure that you give us plenty of warning if you plan on moving to the UK so that we can all run away as fast as possible.

I kid. Gosh, that really was remarkably unfunny.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #8874
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Once in a while, a job opening in my profession comes up for the UK. When the time comes, I'll think about it.
Mel
What exactly is your profession? I know you're a vet and currently studying for a PhD. But what does that mean? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I really don't know.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #8875
Super Moderator

I make a living out of avoiding the real world. No, I'm a vet and then I was in private practice for 3 years (1 year doing the James Herriot thing and then 2 years just seeing dogs and cats), then I decided I had enough of practice so I did a 3 year residency (basically specialized training) in anatomic pathology and now I'm doing the last bit with the PhD. I can work in academia, in biotech, for a pharmaceutical company. That kind of thing. I can't wait to finish - I'm tired of renting, of not having any kind of investments. I haven't done any sort of retirement savings. I'm kind of burned out but I've finally had some things in the lab work out so I'm hoping next Aug to Dec, I'll finally, finally be done. That was extremely wordy.

And Rob, you'll be the first to know so you change your name and hide.

Edit: In general, a PhD in my field teaches me how to design experiments and be a problem solver when faced with a scientific question.

Last edited by Melanie68; 07-14-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:06 PM   #8876
Lazy Bee

Quote:
I make a living out of avoiding the real world. No, I'm a vet and then I was in private practice for 3 years (1 year doing the James Herriot thing and then 2 years just seeing dogs and cats), then I decided I had enough of practice so I did a 3 year residency (basically specialized training) in anatomic pathology and now I'm doing the last bit with the PhD. I can work in academia, in biotech, for a pharmaceutical company. That kind of thing.
It sounds like you've really broaden your horizon so that you'll have lots of options to choose from when you're finished your studies. And to be able to work abroad as well must be really tempting. I'm sure this investment in yourself that you've done will be worth its time and money.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #8877
Super Moderator

My dad keeps telling me I'm his retirement and to hurry up and finish so he can stop working.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:11 PM   #8878
Lazy Bee

Quote:
My dad keeps telling me I'm his retirement and to hurry up and finish so he can stop working.
Well, that could be an option if he comes to live with you, as your butler and chef while you're bringing in the dough!
Old 07-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #8879
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Oh, sorry, don't mind me. I'm just coming by to read up on this thread, but I always forget how far I've gotten, so I have to make a note to not have to read a lot of ekstra pages.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 07-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #8880
Lovable rogue

What do you call one thousand armed lesbians?
Spoiler:
Militia Etheridge.