You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 03:05 AM   #8701
Lazy Bee

My favourite detective series is Midsommer Murders (mentioned before, I know), shown every summer over here. I just love the concept of three murders, Mrs Barnaby or the daughter always aquainted with the victim or some of the suspects and no violence.
Where in Britain are the episodes filmed? Next vacation to Britain I'd love to rent a car and visit those beautiful villages.
Now there's another series to my liking: Mrs Marple, most likely the one Stepurhan mentioned. I've only seen one episode so far.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:18 AM   #8702
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
My favourite detective series is Midsommer Murders (mentioned before, I know), shown every summer over here. I just love the concept of three murders, Mrs Barnaby or the daughter always aquainted with the victim or some of the suspects and no violence.
Where in Britain are the episodes filmed? Next vacation to Britain I'd love to rent a car and visit those beautiful villages.
Now there's another series to my liking: Mrs Marple, most likely the one Stepurhan mentioned. I've only seen one episode so far.
This is a list for the locations in Midsomer murders. I can't specifically vouch for it's accuracy (it's a fan page rather than one prepared by the production team) but Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire do have the right sort of countryside so it's plausible. Anyone been to these places able to verify the list?

This is the Miss Marple I mentioned. She was just so great at the part. Acting like a sweet little old lady but with a mind like a razor. Wonderful stuff.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 07-09-2006, 07:31 AM   #8703
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

She'd have worked out that I'd killed the Thread™.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #8704
Freeware Co-ordinator

Baffled Local Police Inspector : Do you think that RLacey chap could have done it?

Miss Marple : Oh no Inspector! For all his posting I'm afraid young Mr Lacey isn't really capable of killing anything. The key to this mystery is the evil thread found at the murder scene. Much as it pains me to say it I believe you'll find our murderer is none other than stepurhan.

Now, would you like a cup of tea?

Cold Topic

Old 07-09-2006, 08:20 AM   #8705
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
Thanks! Those environments are absolutely wonderful! I'd better start planning this holiday right away!
Quote:
This is the Miss Marple I mentioned. She was just so great at the part. Acting like a sweet little old lady but with a mind like a razor. Wonderful stuff.
After some searching I found this picture of Geraldine McEwan as the Miss Marple from the series that's on Swedish TV this summer. The episodes are filmed 2004-2006. 4.50 from Paddington is on on Wednesday.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:24 AM   #8706
Super Moderator

She is the most current Miss Marple. They have been showing those on PBS here in America. I've seen bits of them.

This is a little blurb on her.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #8707
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
Thanks! Those environments are absolutely wonderful! I'd better start planning this holiday right away!

After some searching I found this picture of Geraldine McEwan as the Miss Marple from the series that's on Swedish TV this summer. The episodes are filmed 2004-2006. 4.50 from Paddington is on on Wednesday.
Ah, not so keen on the Geraldine McEwan version. Too much mind sharp as a razor. Too little sweet old lady.

I think Joan Hickson may have spoiled me for watching any other Miss Marple.

Cold Topic

Old 07-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #8708
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
Ah, not so keen on the Geraldine McEwan version. Too much mind sharp as a razor. Too little sweet old lady.
More to the point, too much added lesbian subplot (thanks a bunch, Chorion), too little charm...

Old 07-09-2006, 11:07 AM   #8709
Lovable rogue

A lesbian subplot? Outrageous!

How dare they tamper with the classics, more to the point, everyone knows lesbians didn't exist in those days, how absurd!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 07-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #8710
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
A lesbian subplot? Outrageous!

How dare they tamper with the classics, more to the point, everyone knows lesbians didn't exist in those days, how absurd!
I don't personally object to lesbian subplots in fiction, but I do object to the absurd "modernisation" of the character, of which adding in the subplot is one part. Christie never wrote it into her book, so why does it suddenly need to be added in?

Chorion really do annoy me .

Old 07-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #8711
Lovable rogue

I dislike Chorion too.

Apparently it's no longer acceptable for there to be gollywogs or characters named "Fanny" in Enid Blyton novels, but they're perfectly happy to insert lesbians into Agatha Christie.

I really cannot stand revisions to things. The creation of an author etc. should remain in it's original state.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 07-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #8712
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Hey, they're also busy wrecking Noddy.

Mind you, I appreciate the irony of disliking Chorion but liking the old Poirot TV series in which all the stories were modified to add in Hastings and Japp. I'd argue that the TV series was still true to the spirit of Christie's writing, though, and that at least these modifications were popular and useful, rather than headline-grabbing and upsetting to the vast majority of fans .

Old 07-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #8713
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
I dislike Chorion too.

Apparently it's no longer acceptable for there to be gollywogs or characters named "Fanny" in Enid Blyton novels, but they're perfectly happy to insert lesbians into Agatha Christie.

I really cannot stand revisions to things. The creation of an author etc. should remain in it's original state.
Odd that you should mention Enid Blyton. I just got sent this today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Friday Thing
Introduction only.....

Enid Blyton: No More Dick, No More Fanny

2 July 2006

There's something very wearisome about the recent outrage over the updating of various Enid Blyton novels. It's probably the way that traditionalists and rightwingers have been able to claim that the changes are yet more examples of (yawn) 'political correctness gone mad', accompanied by endless unfunny articles in the press lampooning the changes, e.g.

'Hello, Big Ears,' said Noddy. 'Apparently the Commission for Golliwog Equality says that it's discrimination if PC Plod arrests immigrants from Narnia for defrauding the Toytown Benefits Office...' etc
You can find the full article here.

Cold Topic

Old 07-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #8714
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Friday Thing
But what would the critics prefer, a few minor changes, or Blyton's books going unread because they're either laughably outdated or genuinely offensive?
There is an element of truth to this. However, changes to characters such as Miss Marple or Poirot seem utterly redundant.

Then again, who am I to question the wisdom of Chorion? Their share price is reasonable, so they must be doing something right (even if their policy seems to be a case of 1) buy an estate, 2) brand the author's name and 3) market the hell out of everything, happily modifying intellectual property in the name of gaining a few headlines)...

Either way, it worries me intensely that these guys own Agatha Christie, Enid Blyton, Raymond Chandler and the Mr Men licence .

Old 07-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #8715
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

AAARRRGHH!!! They own The Very Hungry Caterpillar! Is anything sacred?!

Old 07-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #8716
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
AAARRRGHH!!! They own The Very Hungry Caterpillar! Is anything sacred?!
The Stuffing It's Gob Caterpillar went out and had a McDonalds Happy Meal.

Then it had some lesbian sex with another caterpillar before beating up Mr Bump for looking at it funny.

Cold Topic

Old 07-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #8717
Chris Barraclough

Mmm, lesbians.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 07-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #8718
Lovable rogue

I find it sad when intellectual property falls into the hands of those who have no investment in protecting its essence.

As a purist, I find all these changes, no matter how small they are purported to be, quite abhorrent.
I can however, appreciate Robert's point vis-Ã*-vis the Poirot changes, and might be inclined to agree with him there.

Art isn't something that should be tampered with and exploited by some greedy corporation who just wants to milk it for all it's worth. Frankly, I find it offensive to start messing with somebody else's vision.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #8719
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Perhaps Chorion's fortunes should die. Much like this Thread™ should die, methinks.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #8720
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Perhaps Chordie die die should die. Dieâ„¢ like this die die Threadâ„¢ die should die, methinks.
Aaaah lacey, what a witty repartee you have there